occidentaltourist
Rare Poster
Local Beach: rhode island
Gear: old cabrinha switchblades
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

any ocean side riding on curacao?

Postby occidentaltourist » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:03 pm

seems like schools are in bays for obvious reasons. this is march trip and wind statistic rocks but so, unfrotunately, do most of the beachs (hard rocks that is). i see the surf beach, playa canoa, described as water shoes only, for rocky and urchins.

is any of the south east coast that shows possibly sandy any better. i can see its not as accessible which is often the case on the windward side of islands where most tourists aren't interested in 20 mph all day :). but Beach seems to get a little better/more generous in map and satellite view just south of St. Joris Bay going down to the south end of the island. but that doesn't give you bottom conditions, water depths or urchin count. i've dodged urchins on guadeloupe and puerto rico but found some good spots that give a sand bottom and a break in the urchin flora.

the bays on curacao look a little small although fun and windy, but I'm looking for some oceanside opportunities without big breaks and i can't really tell if the reef is prominent enough to moderate breaks down at the south end - although i don't see surfing spots there so reasoned it might be modest break. Sounds like, in addition to watching for urchings, you need a little support to watch stuff on beach and or not leave stuff in the car which is true at plenty of remote beaches on many islands. Although you get remote enough, and it is not a useful economy of petty theif's time to go out there with such limited targets.

Any intel on Curacao appreciated. Don't see that there is much talk about flat riding on the west (offshore) wind side with maybe a dedicated or in reserve support/rescue boat would make it doable if the wind comes relatively uninterrupted out of the west side bays or off areas of lowland where it an cross the island well. just trying to get a complete understanding because its a vacation for kiters and non-kiters so larger island with topography is of interest to the shore crowd whereas for kiting only i'd hit another choice.

thanks,

brian

mb8494
Rare Poster
Gear: switchblades
Has thanked: 0

Re: any ocean side riding on curacao?

Postby mb8494 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:17 pm

I was in Curacao a few years ago. I think i remember that the launches were not great around the island. I mostly just kited in that small bay. I did take a day trip to klein Curacao, the small island nearby and kited there. It's a beautiful spot, offshore wind. The boat ride was pretty rough, many people got sick.
These users thanked the author mb8494 for the post:
occidentaltourist (Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 am)
Rating: 6.67%

rienkb
Rare Poster
Gear: no gear
Has thanked: 0

Re: any ocean side riding on curacao?

Postby rienkb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:55 am

There is no ocean side riding. The only 2 places to kiteboard/surf/foil are St. Joris baai and the island called Klein Curacao....At the complete north side of the island the water is rough and cliffs. At the complete south side of the island the leeward side , offshore wind, gusty wind due to hills, or cities, or hotels.
These users thanked the author rienkb for the post:
occidentaltourist (Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Kitesurfing”