Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Surfboard weight

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:55 pm

kgb wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:00 pm
Best put the razor down as it’s a little blunt...

http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfb ... ans-to-you

Foil in surf board design parlance is a very common term

Every day is a school day eh;-)
Ahhh kgbgbgbeegeebee! Thanks for putting up a cursory link to what someone else has cited, but could not explain for themselves. Just wondering if you have a personal explanation of it yourself, aside from the article?

So let's all read kgbgbgbeegeebee's link...and feel free to find your own links.....that support my postion anyway! From your link:
When choosing a surfboard design, foil (also known as thickness flow or thickness distribution) is deserving of close attention. This refers to the distribution of foam from the nose to the tail. Foil is the board’s thickness while looking at the board from a side view. There are three different areas of the board where foam is distributed smoothly. You will need to consider three parts: the nose, the middle, and the tail.

The thickness of the surfboard will support paddling, catching waves, and riding through slow or flat spots. Too much thickness will hinder your performance.
The board’s nose, middle, and tail each affect different aspects of surfboard performance. You need to find the right balance of thickness in each of the three parts to get the right combination for your surfing style and skill level.

First off, note that no where in this explanation of "surfboard foil" is there any reference to lift provided by it while riding the wave. Some may cite the "flat spots" reference, but I would point out that the biggest "flat spots" you encounter while kitesurfing are THE ENTIRE FRIKIN TIME YOU ARE NOT ON THE WAVE.......BUT BY SOME MIRIACLE, YOU DON"T SINK WHEN YOU HAVE A KITE....EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE A ZERO VOLUME SURFBOARD OR TT. On top of that, on a 30l kitesurfboard, with a 90kg rider (60kg of net downward force into the water), how long can you actually go into displacement mode at 1knot of waterspeed. Plus, when sunk to the point that you do have the full 30l of displacement acting up on you, the board is submerged and VERY unstable underneath you - much more so than a lower volume board.

But that is not all...."too much thickness will hinder performance" is dead on. Any thickness when you have a kite is completely unneeded because your flat spots are taken care of not just by the kite, but the additional forward speed you can have when entering them.

Let me put this more clearly than the article, or even most surfers and probably experienced shapers realize - Surfboard foil is simply "the best way to distribute all of the extra volume you need to prone paddle a board onto the wave, without hindering planing and/or prone paddling performance excessively".

And this would be the jumping off point into rail shape. To also put that plainly, "Rail shape/thickness is the same as 'surfboard foil', only across the width of the board. It is location/size is primarily dictated by the distribution of excess volume required at each given cross section, in order to be useful for prone paddling".

Excess volume needs to go somewhere, so it should be put where it is usable when prone paddling and trying to catch a wave, but also put in an area where it is of the least consequence to performance while actually riding the wave.

Again kgbgbgbeegeebee, I can't thank you enough for supporting my position and providing a reference for it. Though I would still like Bizy to think it over a bit more.

kgb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Hey

It’s supporting evidence that “foil” is a pre existing term in board design by surf board shapers. Something g I believe you argued against?

If it is educational for you then no harm admitting it?

As for the link? Well I am not a surf board shaper but I am familiar with the term so what’s the issue with getting someone better qualified to explain it.

Nothing more nothing less

Taking issue with it seems counter productive.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:09 pm

kgb wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:30 pm
Hey

It’s supporting evidence that “foil” is a pre existing term in board design by surf board shapers. Something g I believe you argued against?

If it is educational for you then no harm admitting it?

As for the link? Well I am not a surf board shaper but I am familiar with the term so what’s the issue with getting someone better qualified to explain it.

Nothing more nothing less

Taking issue with it seems counter productive.
My issue was with "Surfboard Foil's" citation, but no explanation of it's effect. I too could look up terms on the internet all day and post them here in rapid succession. But without thought, logic, and reasoning, there is no point - because how could I claim to understand those terms without being able to even attempt to explain them?

"Surfboard Foil" is a term referring to the distribution of volume in a prone surfboard. It has no lifting effect outside of the buoyancy that is provided (only when submerged is volume producing a buoyant force) while the surfer is prone. Also, after getting up on the board in prone surfing, shortboard volume less than around 50% the displacement of the rider, is ineffectual to supporting the rider for any significant time, in an effort to continue a wave ride, in comparison to forward motion. In this specific instance, a larger board footprint (which may or may not result in increased volume) has more of an effect than more volume. Think about a super wide, but flat/thin 5'-11" surfboard compared to the same volume 5'-11" narrow thick surfboard. Again, same volume! Which one sinks faster when you are standing on it and stopped? Which one is harder to get up on a plane at 2-5knots?

There is no reason to have "Surfboard Foil" when you do not need any volume, because you never are in a prone paddling position (as in kitesurfing). Thus, you could say that it does not exist in kitesurfing, but it does exist in prone surfing because you CANNOT prone surf without it. But you absolutely CAN kitesurf without it, and there is absolutely a benefit from getting your foot closer to the planing surfaces of the board when volume is reduced below the lower limits of prone surfing.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 pm

BWD wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:29 pm
Jumping in with the basics.
Planing craft are hydrofoils with the top side dry.

All hydrofoils/lifting bodies/wings/planing craft make lift due to pressure differential and forces on the high pressure side. Even flat plates work - primitive kitefoil, alaia, flat bottom skiff, skimboard, fishermans planer rig etc.
Thickness in a foil organizes the flow over the low pressure side reducing turbulence/drag. Low speed application with high AOA or high load needs a thick foil to not drag or stall, high speed needs thinner foil.

Planing on the surface, the top side is dry, so no worry about flow over the top - as with most boats. Surface piercing boats like pointy bowed multihulls on the other hand have streamlined upper bows made to pierce through and shed waves.
This is the most wrong you can be with your statement:
Jumping in with the basics.
Planing craft are hydrofoils with the top side dry.
There is a clear and definite distinction between lift from displacement, lift from planing, and lift from a foil. Simple thought experiments will give you a basic understanding here, and will illustrate why you are absolute wrong in your opening statement and mostly throughout. Here you go:

1. At rest, a displacement hull will float because the water it displaces is equal to it's weight. Also when at rest, a planing hull will displace an amount of water equal to it's weight or it will sink. Once planing the enclosed volume is no longer required to continue planning. To prove this, you could make 2 boats with a detachable displacement top and a planning (no volume) drive section. As both boats are powered from where displacement forces are overcome by planing forces, you could discard the displacement section of one of them as they are side by side. The drive section without the displacement section would no longer have the weight, the air drag, nor the drag from spray being accelerated by the upper section.

2. Think of the skipping rock scenario. If the rock is set on the water, it just sinks unless it is a rock of a weight less than the amount of water it displaces (possible with quickly cooled lava rock). If a dense rock that would normally sink is thrown fast enough at the right angle to plane, it skips (temporarily planning) and does not sink until the ideal angle is lost (why you spin it) or it slows down to a point where the planing forces cannot make it skip again. Thus planing and displacement are DISTINCTLY different phenomenon. You cannot substitute one for the other, or make any serious statement of likeness in multiple aspects between the two.

3. At rest, a foil section does nothing. When moving at a minimum speed within the correct allowable AOA range, a foil will generate enough lift to lift the weight above, regardless of it's displacement or equivalent underside planing surface. And what happens if you stall the foil? This requires some understanding of how the flow above a foil becomes unattached when stall happens. And what happens to the lift in a stall? The bottom surface is the only thing lifting (oversimplification), and almost all of the lift is gone. This is the first proof that a foil section cannot be seen as generating anything more than insignificant lift (not functioning as intended/useful), when only one surface has attached flow. Thus unlike planing, both surfaces are REQUIRED to have the same media flow, and that media must have attached flow over the top surface, for a foil section to work as intended.

On top of that, what would happen if a hydrofoil breaches the surface of the water "accidentally" or "intentionally", to now function as a planing surface? - It fails! There is no situation where a hydrofoil transitions from foiling to planing and still functions. Should you even attempt to create a proof of concept experiment, the number one consideration would be to solve the issue of the upper surface reattaching flow when it encounters a wave, then violently lifting up, and losing contact with the waters surface on the underside. But there are many others.

4. With displacement, planing, and foiling, think of an example where you try to combine one with another. Lets first say you want a hydroplaning vessel capable of functioning in a displacement mode. This is an example that has been done on a large scale and even down to the kite scale. A large scale example here would be large displacement ship that has a hydrofoil capability. What are the drawbacks of this? Immediately you see that you have an extremely efficient hydro plane system that has to carry around a large amount of "baggage" in the form of all of that unnecessary volume and weight in the displacement vessel. Conversely, you have a stable displacement vessel that has delicate outriggers or an extended draft with a hydrofoil underneath, reducing the maneuvering/shallow water/docking capabilities. Thus when combining one with the other, you reduce performance of both.

In kiting, think about combining an SUP board with a hydrofoil. In this endeavor, you would also reduce the performance of both. The SUP board functioning in displacement mode would not work on waves as the inactive foil would create unwanted and unmanageable forces on the wave face or even in swell. And in the hydrofoilling mode, the extra length, swing weight, and overall weight of the SUP, would rob performance from the hydrofoilling capabilities.

Combining displacement with planing is the same with respect to sacrificing performance of one vs the other. A planing hull only sees detriment from planing from the displacement parts that are out of the water (air drag, weight), while a displacement hull only sees detriment from increasing width to make a quicker and more efficient planing hull (more drag from a wider cross section when at lower speeds).

Thus if you do find similarities between displacement, planing, and foil, you also find that the differences override those similarities and become detrimental, not complimentary. So given the above 4 thought experiments, you should be able to clearly understand the distinction between the 3 types of lift on a vessel. And that clearly illustrates that the differences override any attempt at claiming any basic similarity.

BWD wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:29 pm
Surfboard rocker/thickness and rail profiles make the foil of a surfboard. There are plenty of times water wraps the rail of a surfboard, most obviously with longboards. The pile of water on the tail of a longboard majorly contributes to a rider being able to noseride, the most blatant example. Effects come into play in other ways too -remember the top side of a foil shape mainly about reducing drag and keeping control like when trimming for speed etc.

That’s the planing/foiling basics. It mostly comes down to the bottom, though what’s up top majorly affects how well it works in a given scenario. :naughty:
Right away, throw the longboard references in the garbage. And I have some great reasons for suggesting this. First, there is an easily demonstrable reduction in performance while kiting on any longboard, and even down to "funboards". Using either of these types of large boards is an intentional handicap which forces the rider to work within severely restricting performance envelopes. If you keep thinking in terms of longboard with a kite, you make things worse, not better. Still, longboards and funboards can be a fun challenge, but never a higher level of performance. So while this reference proves my overall point, it is outside of what is necessary to provide that proof.

For the part in red, the top side of a foil shape is NOT for reducing drag. It absolutely provides the lift, as evidenced by a stall. Yes, it gets much more complicated than this, and it is actually the two surfaces (top and bottom) working together that truly provide the lift in a foil. Could you tell us where you acquired your understanding of displacement vs planing vs foil sections?

But in the end, the question boils down to "why are you wrong in your assumptions when the physics are so clear"? The answer to that is deceptively simple - You feel a difference when riding a low volume kitesurfboard vs a standard higher volume prone surfboard. And you equate that difference to something being wrong, as opposed to recognizing that the difference is actually a higher performance envelope when planing with lower volume. I too was of your mindset for a long time. But by kiting my shortboards back to back with my kitesurfboards, doing an in depth examination of the underlying physics, and doing some more testing and thought experiments, I was cured of what I would call an oddly emotional and stubbornly entrenched set of assumptions. All carryover from surfing.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyfish » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:14 am

Matteo v,

Do you actually think anybody reads your posts?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:19 am

Flyfish wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:14 am
Matteo v,

No.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:33 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:19 am
Flyfish wrote:
Matteo v,

No.
Obviously, you are looking for the authoritative source of information. Why don’t you ask an experienced shaper what the foil is and why it is one of the most important aspects of a surfboard design. And why even the most experienced shapers who both surf and kite surf - Buck Noe, Gabriel Loyd, Fletcher Chouinard, Matt Kazuma, Jimmy Lewis - just to name a few - don’t design very low volume kite surfboards.
Last edited by BigZ on Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 am

BigZ wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:33 am
Matteo V wrote:
Flyfish wrote:
Matteo v,

No.
Obviously, you are looking for the authoritative source of information. Why don’t you ask an experienced shaper what the foil is and why it is one of the most important aspects of a surfboard design. And why even the most experienced shapers who both surf and kite surf - Buck Noe, Gabriel Loyd, Fletcher Chouinard, Matt Kazuma, Jimmy Lewis - just to name a few - don’t design kite surfboards with no volume.
Is this a trick question? :argue:

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 am

knotwindy wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 am
BigZ wrote:
Matteo V wrote:

No.
Obviously, you are looking for the authoritative source of information. Why don’t you ask an experienced shaper what the foil is and why it is one of the most important aspects of a surfboard design. And why even the most experienced shapers who both surf and kite surf - Buck Noe, Gabriel Loyd, Fletcher Chouinard, Matt Kazuma, Jimmy Lewis - just to name a few - don’t design kite surfboards with no volume.
Is this a trick question? :argue:
:wink: Corrected.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:01 am

BigZ wrote:
BIG NAMES!........all cater to the market.....and that is what they produce for.......the market........and it is hard to sell outside of the established norms......as with any sport.....just look how long it took for us to get the nose cut off of kitesurfboards.....oh, wait.....they still have lots of noses.....that we don't need.......

Plus, they are prone surfers....which is where the "surfboard foil" thing comes from, and is actually useful in.....but is not in kitesurfing....so they, as does every other kiteboarder, put up with lower performance.......and their sales volume mostly comes from prone surfing.....not kitesurfing......so why cater to a minority market???????

And can you name some of the surfboard innovations that the above shaper names/companies came up with in surfing.....or kitesurfing?

But then this one!
BigZ wrote:
Why don’t you ask an experienced shaper what the foil is and why it is one of the most important aspects of a surfboard design.
I don't need to. I already know. I knew from years past when trying surfboards that I thought would work for me, and then buying surfboards that did work for me. "Surfboard foil" is how you store all of that volume in a way that makes it most beneficial when prone paddling, but least detrimental when actually standing on the board on the wave.

Bizy, any more questions?

Return to “Kitesurfing”