Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Tarifa Help!

Postby alex85 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I need an advice especially from local rider from Tarifa.
I booked a real cheap flight for Siviglia (Sat 28th Sep-Thu 03th Oct) and so I will finally decide to go there only if the conditions will be good enough (or stay at home losing few euros with the flight but saving much more money on another holiday without wind).
Long term forecast shows high pressure and a W trend for wind direction.

I would like to know if thermhal wind is still working in this period of the year and so if can I have some chances to kite with this kind of forecast.
Obviously I will check windfinder and windguru next days to see if something will change...but I'll appreciate every tips to take the right decision from more experienced rider that know better than me the conditions over there.

Thanks!!! :bye:

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Re: Tarifa Help!

Postby kiteswede » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:38 pm

https://www.windguru.cz/43

Look at the wrf3 and 9 Two days ahead

I’m not a local tough.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:58 am

Sorry for this but....
Flying is too cheap. Buying a ticket with the plan not to use it in case the windforecast sucks is IMHO not matching with todays knowledge on the detrimental effects flying has on our planet and the state the planet is in. Please consider not to do this anymore.

For now I hope you will have good winds in Tarifa so the fossil fuel is not burnef in vain...
These users thanked the author Peert for the post:
Barryg101 (Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 am

Peert wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:58 am
Sorry for this but....
Flying is too cheap. Buying a ticket with the plan not to use it in case the windforecast sucks is IMHO not matching with todays knowledge on the detrimental effects flying has on our planet and the state the planet is in. Please consider not to do this anymore.

For now I hope you will have good winds in Tarifa so the fossil fuel is not burnef in vain...
You are not "sorry for this", you are virtue signalling.

The aeroplane will fly with or without him.
Last edited by iriejohn on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 am

Isn’t buying a ticket and not using it sort of green...? The plane is flying anyway, there will be one empty seat so it will use a tiny bit less fuel.....😉
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

DecagramOfEvil
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NBL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DecagramOfEvil » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Considering this went into offtopic mode anyways allow me to piggyback on Alex's thread.
Could someone advise on what kind of forecast, taking into account local spot characteristics, is in general worth making a trip to tarrifa (irrespectively of whether it is about flying or any other considerable effort). I will be in the neighborhood (Malaga) with 2 days to spare on 8-9th of September and I am considering renting a car to get to this famous spot. I've never been there so forgive if this is a stupid question.
Also I probably won't have my gear with me and I imagine it will be easier to rent equipment in Tarifa than in Malaga.
Any recomendations highly appreciated.

Btw, do all of the kite centers there have prices so steep as the Duotone Center in Tarifa ? :o

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Renting a car?? How dare you release CO2 into the planet just for your own entertainment!

Kau pi kite tarifa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Sal and Holland
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa!
Style: Wave and hooked jumps
Gear: Zian kites
Brand Affiliation: Kiteschool owner using zian kites.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kau pi kite tarifa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi guys,
For checking the forecast you can check basicly any app. I use windfinder because it also has three measuring stations. One in Valdevaqueros and two in the town.

With winds from the west (poniente) you need about 8 knots in the forecast and nice sunshine. Then the thermals kick in and it becomes between 12 and 20 knots.

With winds from the east(levante) you need about 10 knots minimum in the forecast. With levante is normally 5/10 knots stronger then forecasted.

If you are in doubt, find my number on Www.kaupikite.com and shoot me a message :)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:54 pm

It's sickening, the unnecessary green house gases from this potentially aborted flight, as a millenial I have decided not to have children as there wont be clean air to breath for them, or clean water for them to drink. A very hard decision but it is best for them that they don't suffer.

If you would like to donate bit c0ins to me to offset my air travel, I would be very grateful. Just a single coin per donor would be great.

Recent studies have shown that kiting actually reduces the overall wind energy on the planet (much like wind generators "steal the wind energy that keeps the climates status quo), that in turn adds to irreversible climate change.

Unless you own a Nissan Leaf and are vegan, please DO NOT TRAVEL TO TARIFA to steal the earths energy balance by kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”