Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: Woo Sports Updates?

Postby aleks » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:52 am

yyusufoglu wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 pm
It is nice to see that Woo is working on a new apple watch app. But considering that apple watch is not really the best suited watch for an action sport like kite surfing, wouldnt it make more sense for woo to invest in developing their app for android + garmin devices?
Way ahead of you :D .

Garmin:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-NL/apps/53d9 ... 65bc6a144a

Android:
Included in the WOO app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ravity.woo

Or my original Android version, same thing but not branded by WOO + slightly different screen design + phone functionality:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .wooscreen

The watch functionality on these platforms will be also greatly extended soon. If you have any recomendations, now is the time to share them :thumb:

Also, Apple Watch works pretty well for kitesurfing. I was surprised, but I liked it almost as much as Garmin :) . No problems with on water usage so far either.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
yyusufoglu (Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:46 pm) • Guttorm (Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:05 am)
Rating: 13.33%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 am

yyusufoglu wrote:
It is nice to see that Woo is working on a new apple watch app. But considering that apple watch is not really the best suited watch for an action sport like kite surfing, wouldnt it make more sense for woo to invest in developing their app for android + garmin devices?
Ummm, there is both of those. The Garmin app rocks Man people are really whiny. If there was no apple app then that would be the issue.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
aleks (Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 am)
Rating: 6.67%

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BenBen » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:31 am

aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 pm
BenBen wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:48 pm
Time for some more Android watch support.
Sure. Do you have a problem the Android Watch app or request new features?

I'm a developer of WOO app for Android watch (as well as Garmin and Apple watches), so I'll try to help :D !
Thanks for your reply Aleks. As far as i can see, the Woo is still limited to WearOS watches. Will there be versions for more android watches? I use a WearOS watch, but i would like to upgrade to another watch and it seems as there are only a few new watches that are compatible. Am i wrong?

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone 21' Rebel 7M, 9m & 11m, 15m Juice, on a Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:07 pm

yyusufoglu wrote:
You didn't want to check first?

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:24 pm

BenBen wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:31 am
aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 pm
Sure. Do you have a problem the Android Watch app or request new features?

I'm a developer of WOO app for Android watch (as well as Garmin and Apple watches), so I'll try to help :D !
Thanks for your reply Aleks. As far as i can see, the Woo is still limited to WearOS watches. Will there be versions for more android watches? I use a WearOS watch, but i would like to upgrade to another watch and it seems as there are only a few new watches that are compatible. Am i wrong?
You might be confusing watches running Android WearOS with watches that just can be used with Android phones. There are a lot of new watches out there that use their own proprietary OS, which has no way of creating third party apps for them. Some bigger brands might have development tools for apps, but they might miss Bluetooth tools for WOO connection. So, the only real options right now are WearOS, Apple, and Garmin (Garming joined just recently, they introduced Bluetooth SDK only 1.5 years ago).

Can you give me an example of a watch you are interested in? I'll check and let you know whether it would be possible to create an app for it 8)
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:43 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:27 pm

Any chance you get Woo to work on my Fitbit?

Does a decent job of tracking GPS and Elevation, how hard would it be to import the data?

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:15 pm

dracop wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:27 pm
Any chance you get Woo to work on my Fitbit?
Fitbit doesn't have Bluetooth SDK yet, so no way to communicate with WOO. Google bought Fitbit, so maybe something will change.
dracop wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:27 pm
Does a decent job of tracking GPS and Elevation, how hard would it be to import the data?
Pretty darn hard. Development of any app for watches take a lot of time. Nothing works as you expect, lots of prototypes and testing, not to mention a whole new SDK to learn. Also, GPS and barometric pressure are useless for jump height measuring - I tried it on Garmin, the results were wildly inaccurate for majority of the jumps.

flying doctor
Medium Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:47 pm

I just got my apple watch series 6. Wore it over my wetsuit and because I use apple pay it requires a code (or permanent contact with my wrist). Pairing with WOO wasn't a problem but the watch didn't show the WOO app on the water, is this because of the code? Any workarounds?

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 67
Local Beach: De Slufter / Zandmotor / Rockanje
Favorite Beaches: Akyaka, Zanzibar
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR7 7-9-11/ Sensor 3 Pro Bar/ Brunotti Dimension 136 x 39 / Mystic Warrior Harness

Postby yyusufoglu » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:52 pm

aleks wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:52 am
yyusufoglu wrote:
Way ahead of you :D .

Garmin:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-NL/apps/53d9 ... 65bc6a144a

Android:
Included in the WOO app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ravity.woo

Or my original Android version, same thing but not branded by WOO + slightly different screen design + phone functionality:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .wooscreen

The watch functionality on these platforms will be also greatly extended soon. If you have any recomendations, now is the time to share them :thumb:

Also, Apple Watch works pretty well for kitesurfing. I was surprised, but I liked it almost as much as Garmin :) . No problems with on water usage so far either.
Thanks for the reply! I recently got a Garmin watch mainly for using together with the woo on water :D. I just need to buy a woo now :)

I made the comment because i find the apple watch to be too fragile to play around with in the water + sand!
Good to hear that the water usage is no issue though, that was one of my concerns especially thinking about crashes :D

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 67
Local Beach: De Slufter / Zandmotor / Rockanje
Favorite Beaches: Akyaka, Zanzibar
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR7 7-9-11/ Sensor 3 Pro Bar/ Brunotti Dimension 136 x 39 / Mystic Warrior Harness

Postby yyusufoglu » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:00 pm

cwood wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 am
yyusufoglu wrote:
Ummm, there is both of those. The Garmin app rocks Man people are really whiny. If there was no apple app then that would be the issue.
People would definitely complain if this didnt pair with the apple watch. :D But my comment was more from the view that apple watch is not by definition an outdoor / action watch, its not really built for that. So would be cool to see some more investment in developing / expanding compatibility with a wider choice of devices.

Return to “Kitesurfing”