Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: Woo Sports Updates?

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:21 pm

deniska wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:10 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 am

heard of more people using it with good results! Getting interested too...now finding a suitable watch.
check out fossil sport..
it's about $100 and seems to work well with Aleksey's app
You can program a side button to start up in unlikely event that it gets reset by a hard splash/wipeout.
the battery life is not great but it will definitely last an average session :-)
IMG_5619.JPG
Thank you deniska, I was just going to suggest the same watch :D :

https://www.fossil.com/en-us/products/f ... W4019.html

Water resistance rating on it is not as good as Nixon Mission, but still better than most other smart watches.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Digdawg (Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:14 am

Hi Aleks great work man. Wondering is there any chance to see which way you are riding when jumping? Would be cool to have an arrow (left/right) to see the jump direction, especially as I am now training both ways. Would e great to track the progression
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Guttorm (Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm)

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby CaliRider » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:44 pm
aleks wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 pm
Several people asked me to add GPS tracking and speed display to the Woo Screen app. It was always in the plan, ever since I envisioned the app. I'll start working on it soon, so stay tuned :)
That would be amazing !!! One App that do it all.
I will download your app next time I ride. Thank you for your hard work !
There goes Woo's new app subscription revenue stream that was based around GPS phone data. :lol:

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario

Postby aleks » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:14 am
Hi Aleks great work man. Wondering is there any chance to see which way you are riding when jumping? Would be cool to have an arrow (left/right) to see the jump direction, especially as I am now training both ways. Would e great to track the progression
Thanks Kitemenn. I guess it is doable if I add GPS tracking. However, it all comes down to whether keep all sessions data or not. We already have a perfect place where we keep and share all our sessions - official Woo app (or servers to be exact). At the time of the jump, direction information is meaningless - you already know which way you just jumped, all you need is the height. Direction might be useful when you review your session - functionality that I currently don't have. I'll keep it mind though, thanks for the idea :thumb:

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 pm

CaliRider wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:25 pm
There goes Woo's new app subscription revenue stream that was based around GPS phone data.
I wouldn't go that far :D . Official WOO apps have potentially a lot more to offer, namely a social platform for sharing your GPS track/jump data. That would be a lot more fun than just looking at the data by yourself 8) . Plus there is a centralized, device independent storage to keep your sessions...

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:07 am

aleks wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:14 am
Thanks Kitemenn. I guess it is doable if I add GPS tracking. However, it all comes down to whether keep all sessions data or not. We already have a perfect place where we keep and share all our sessions - official Woo app (or servers to be exact). At the time of the jump, direction information is meaningless - you already know which way you just jumped, all you need is the height. Direction might be useful when you review your session - functionality that I currently don't have. I'll keep it mind though, thanks for the idea :thumb:
I thought it was possible to detect based on the data as in freestyle mode it can detect whether you do the tricks going left or right. Adding that functionality to see after your session would be great. But as you said maybe more worth for WOO developping that in the app

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:07 am
I thought it was possible to detect based on the data as in freestyle mode it can detect whether you do the tricks going left or right. Adding that functionality to see after your session would be great. But as you said maybe more worth for WOO developping that in the app
WOO probably can determine direction based on the accelerometer data alone. However I don't know if they broadcast that information in real time or not. There is a lot of data sent by WOO and I only understand some of it :(

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:04 am

Some updates on the Woo Screen app. I made it compatible with older Wear 1.* watches (like Sony Smartwatch 3, thank you for the idea Olaf :thumb: ). There wasn't any extensive testing done on Wear 1.* watches yet, but at the first look it behaves the same way as on newer devices. The only thing I would advice against is watches without any buttons (like LG G watch). They use screen palm gesture instead of a power button, so whenever such watch gets under water, it exits any app that is currently running.

Speaking of testing, I had 2 watches on during a session today :D . On one watch I had Woo Screen app and on the other a new GPS speed tracking app I recently wrote. Woo Screen behaved flawlessly today. 4.5 hours session, not a single problem. The watch battery lasted all 4.5 hours and still had some juice left. That's not bad considering that air temperature was around 7C today 8) . Many falls and swims for the board - the app re-connected with Woo every time. Never exit the app either - the screen gets black under water, but turns right back on when you tilt your hand (this is how it behaves on Polar M600, on Nixon Mission the screen doesn't turn off at all).

The watch running GPS speed tracker lasted only 3 hours, so yeah, adding GPS tracking to the Woo Screen app will kill the battery much faster :( .
Also, I found the speed display a bit boring. It is about the same speed most of the time and with little practice you'll know how fast you are going without looking at the GPS. It would only be useful if you race or do speed trials. Reviewing tracks might be interesting though. I hope to shortly finish and release a free GPS tracker app designed for watches and water usage. After I get some feedback on a stand alone GPS app, I'll add GPS feature to Woo Screen app :thumb:
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 4):
Kash (Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 am) • Guttorm (Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:07 am) • Leon van Bergen (Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:07 am) • joriws (Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:17 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kash » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 am

Thank you Aleks. You are awesome. I ordered Fossil sports watch only because of this thread (I have 0 interest in smart watches otherwise) and your app specifically. Also thanks to Deniska for suggesting that watch. Seems like a good deal for 99 EUR.

I will definately start using it and will report back to you if I find problems or ideas to improve it.
These users thanked the author Kash for the post:
aleks (Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm)

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Kash wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 am
Thank you Aleks. You are awesome. I ordered Fossil sports watch only because of this thread (I have 0 interest in smart watches otherwise) and your app specifically. Also thanks to Deniska for suggesting that watch. Seems like a good deal for 99 EUR.

I will definately start using it and will report back to you if I find problems or ideas to improve it.
Thanks Kash! A few people at my local beach did the same - ordered a watch just to use Woo Screen app :D .

By the way, to improve waterproofing on my watches, I tape over all mic and speaker holes with Tear-aid. If you will only use the watch for kiting, you don't need mic and speaker anyway. Here are a few pictures:
2020-03-09 09.49.04.jpg
2020-03-09 09.48.42.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”