Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Woo Sports Updates?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo Sports out of business?

Postby Havre » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Hopefully they are OK. Really want a version 4 that actually works properly.

Kitenuovoman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: All
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kitenuovoman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Works properly its the problem maybe....never reality test

daspi
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: the ones I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom and Ace
various Plywood boards
Cabrinha Skillit Surfboard
LF Fish Foil (until I find a carbon setup at good price point)
Been thanked: 0

Postby daspi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 pm

They are still operational. Downsized a bit but still committed to deliver updates, products and service. Exploring options of use for other sports as well. Still love my Woo, feel naked to kite without it :)

PeaBody
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Postby PeaBody » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am

I think they have enough units out there to start focusing on the software subscription model. There are starts of it in the app itself, and I could see a lot of improvement in this area (not saying I would buy in but that seems the logical way forward).

There is no reality test, we all know it isn't 'meters'.. its 'Woo meters' and if the same models give the same results who cares, it can be fun. They have plenty they can keep tweaking in the algorithms to possibly get closer to reality but who cares.

Havre
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am

But they clearly don't. The same unit isn't even measuring similar jumps the same way. If I'm buying something like that I want the results to be somewhat consistent - they are not.

Of course if they were consistent they would have been able to configure it to be real meters.

That video is quite good. I can't be bothered watching the whole thing again now, but if I remember correctly they show how the highest jump of one of the sessions never even happened (they filmed the sessions with time stamps).

I love the idea of Woo and I would happily buy a version 4, paying for a subscription if necessary, if it only was slightly better than the product they got out now. I can accept a 7.5m jump being registered as 7.0 or 8.0, but when you are several meters away I really don't see the point any longer.

Kitemenn
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:40 am

Havre wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am
I love the idea of Woo and I would happily buy a version 4, paying for a subscription if necessary, if it only was slightly better than the product they got out now. I can accept a 7.5m jump being registered as 7.0 or 8.0, but when you are several meters away I really don't see the point any longer.
It still gives you a proper indication on how high you jump! Are they exact...prob not but you can def see the difference with someone jumping +/- 8m or someone jumping +/- 10m! As long as it is not used on competition there is no harm in it and does it do the job for 95% of the people. I would however like to see features like direction of riding when jumping or detection of kiteloops etc...prob wishful thinkning

Havre
Medium Poster

Postby Havre » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:05 am

Kitemenn wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:40 am
Havre wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am
It still gives you a proper indication on how high you jump! Are they exact...prob not but you can def see the difference with someone jumping +/- 8m or someone jumping +/- 10m! As long as it is not used on competition there is no harm in it and does it do the job for 95% of the people. I would however like to see features like direction of riding when jumping or detection of kiteloops etc...prob wishful thinkning
The average I guess should show if someone is jumping higher than others, but in terms of reaching for that highest jump Woo doesn't really work. In Woo-world a 8m jump can be higher than a 11m jump.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:51 pm

After watching that video the conclusion I've arrived at is that I'm in love again, and it's reached new heights ! :remybussi:

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm

My jumps are measured in decibels by the "woo hoos" I can hear coming from the beach. :D
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post (total 2):
Toby (Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm) • Kitemenn (Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm)
Rating: 20%

WOO Kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 20
Gear: Big Air Freestyle Freeride

Postby WOO Kite » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi guys, past months haven't been easy by any means, but as was mentioned here already, took it on the chin, moved on and downsized a little. We are are in a very good spot now. Some great people joined the WOO crew and you'll be hearing more from us again going forward. But most importantly, a big thank you to all of our loyal supporters and customers, WOO would be nothing without you! If any evidence is needed - even though we were rather quiet for the past 12 months, activity still grew 40% year over year, and that's all on you guys!

Cheers & lots of boosting love
Leo
These users thanked the author WOO Kite for the post (total 4):
Exal (Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 pm) • Kees (Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 am) • maffhieu (Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:24 pm) • Guttorm (Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 am)
Rating: 40%

Return to “Kitesurfing”