Forum for kitesurfers
UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

How Long should you keep Kite Bars For?

Postby UKSurf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Currently thinking of keeping my 2014 Slingshot Bar and just selling the kite that came with it. Does anyone have an opinion on how long you should keep a bar and lines for? Obviously if their is a failure of the lines or safety system it could end in a trip to the hospital or a long swim. Do older bars increase the risk of some kine of equipment failure significantly?

lucafoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Italy and Mauritius
Favorite Beaches: Prea in Brazil, Lake Garda, Rome coast
Style: Strapless and foil
Gear: Strapless with 9/7 m kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How Long should you keep Kite Bars For?

Postby lucafoil » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Bars are super resistant and always useful to keep and use, the lines are the parts to change in order to keep the bar safe and healthy.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Absolutely LOVE my Slingshot bars and have a few from 2014, earlier and later years that I use. They're my go-to bars unless I'm in ultra light wind and I go for custom ones with race lines (though using Slingshot parts). The Compstick Guardian design hasn't changed for years and I hope it stays that way unless it actually needs to.

If you take care of the Slingshot bar and wash it after every use you wont have any issues. I've seen bars with swivel bearings permanently rusted but mine are perfect. I only use them in salt water with a rinse after every use (hint: spray some lube in there once in a while). The one thing old Slingshot bars will develop is wear around the depower line hole. Not a big deal but something to watch out for. When depower line starts wearing I pickup a new depower line, guardian box, trim rope handle, cleat and a bungee. Replace those parts and the bar is like new! Only takes a few minutes. To save a few bucks just get the depower line and cleat. I've never had my Slingshot lines stretch but I don't do crazy loops.

Obviously if your lines develop wear, get them replaced. You can usually pickup older Slingshot bars on sale. Keep the other bar for spare parts and fix things in a pinch. Did I mentioned I LOVE these bars? :lol: :thumb:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:24 pm

When truly old stainless screws etc. can fail from crevice corrosion. Usually this is like 5+ years old, but can happen faster in some conditions. If you are using a really old bar, good idea to completely strip it and inspect metal parts, replace as needed. Corrosion tends to affect all similar parts a similar rate...

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 am

Depending on your setup the MOST important thing are your LINES. Pay close attention to any connection points, swivel locations, or any other line to line connection points there are. If you begin to do rotation tricks the center lines can begin to wear a lot faster. I saw my own lines wear down after learning rotation tricks and didn't replace them. I jumped about 8m in the air and began a nice downloop trick and my center line snapped. My shoulder hurt for 4 months. I'm hoping that is the most terrifying moment for me. Your lines are your lifeline. Get a Mystic Hook Kite Knife and strap that shit to your harness as well in case shit hits the fan.

Return to “Kitesurfing”