RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

New SARLite Emergency Signalling Kit

Postby RickI » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:24 pm

This is a great new product, small and water sealed keeping the rescue components out of the water until such time you might need them. I currently carry a whistle and signaling mirror in my impact vest pocket among other things while kiting. They are typically tangled up and I have nothing for night time signaling unlike the chemical lights provided in this kit. You can’t knock the motto, “Everyone Gets Home.“ We carry stuff like this for just in case. In this instance it’s so small you probably won’t even know it’s there.

https://www.sarlite.com/
https://www.facebook.com/

What's inside the pouch:

These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Toby (Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:34 pm)
Rating: 10%

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: New SARLite Emergency Signalling Kit

Postby norcom » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:59 pm

There are "beacon glow stick" on amazon at 10 for $12 and cheaper with water-proof pouches and loops for lanyards. Though water doesn't damage any of these.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:19 am

Salt water has degraded a similar signaling mirror I have had exposed in my impact vest to where it needs to be replaced. You could make this yourself for less, sure. Now go do it. Not many will, so why not buy one, stick it in your impact vest or pocket and forget about it until you need it. A strong wind reversal can see some kiters out of their depth in short order in some cases. Other kiters might have survived if they had carried one of these. No guarantees but it makes sense to carry reasonable gear.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:10 am

Am I reading the instructions correctly that you are supposed to spin the glow sticks around on a string like a 90s rave kid?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:09 am

A signalling kit is not a bad idea if you're going adventuring. I think it would be a pain to carry more junk just for a kiteboarding session.

I wear an Apple Watch 3. I can use the SOS mode to call in search and rescue, call home if I am stuck somewhere, or use Apple Pay to buy a coffee or a snack. My friends and family can (and do) use the various find apps to see where I am. I don't use the watch to record the session. I want to save the battery for emergency use. I use my Garmin Fenix watch to record the session and to see speed and time etc.

If I was going adventuring I would take my Garmin Inreach device. That is waterproof, has tracking and I can send and receive messages by satellite.

I always follow the rule of never going out further than I am prepared to swim. It's much more fun to do runs up and down the coast, close inshore, instead of heading way out to sea.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I carry a personal locator beacon (PLB), the PLB1, Very small, satellite GPS coordinates sent when activated, worldwide coverage, no monthly fees, 7 year battery life, no longer called search and rescue just rescue since they have your location, tens of thousands of people have been saved worldwide with PLBs.

I also wear a rash shirt and helmet both in that neon yellow color used on traffic signs.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:31 pm

I do the same thing with my personal locator beacon only take it when I expect a higher risk of problems. The trouble is we can’t always anticipate when it’s going to hit the fan. I’ve been able to swim back in from all sorts of stuff for 20 years, well there was that one time in the shipping channel. I bought one of these pouches they’re really small I don’t even know it’s in my impact vest pocket which is a good trait to have. It’s sort of like only wearing seatbelts when you’re expecting to have a collision.

SARlite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park, Miami FL
Favorite Beaches: Sarasota, FL
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Miami Beach, FL
Style: Epic
Gear: Cabrina
Brand Affiliation: SARlite

Postby SARlite » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Hey guys! It’s always exciting to hear conversations about how we can all be safer during offshore, inshore, or onshore activities. Regarding the equipment included in the SARlite Rescue Signaling Kit and the price point, here is a bulleted outline of how it all comes together.
The 3 four inch chemical lights are produced by Cyalume, the leading manufacturer for chemical lights on today’s market and supplier to the US Military. We specially choose the color orange for our chemical light as this particular color is far brighter than other colors of chemical lights when viewed through Night Vision Goggles which are worn by rescue helicopter pilots. They are specially strung together at one end of the string to make a “circle of light” when spun properly, thus increasing the visibility footprint. This is far better than just one or two chemical lights held in your hand being waved, and the simple instructions are located right on the package so anyone can follow them. Additionally, the chemical lights are stored together in a single UV resistant case inside the exterior packaging, meaning when you open the package they are ready to be deployed. If you just had a few chemical lights in your pocket they would each have to be removed from the wrapper and then they wouldn’t have any string on them, and if they were already out of the wrapper there is a chance they would be adversely affected from UV light exposure. Check out our explanation here: https://www.sarlite.com/whatisinside
The signal mirror is custom designed to float when dropped in water, and sadly so many signal mirrors on today’s market actually sink. Additionally, our simple and easy to use instructions are right on the back of the mirror. A signal mirror is such a proven piece of signaling equipment, we couldn’t imagine it not being included in our kit. You can see a video of how well our mirror floats right here: https://www.sarlite.com/whatisinside
The whistle found in this package is not just any whistle, it is a FOX 40 Micro pea-less whistle. The pea-less design vacates any water that may be in the chamber adversely affecting the sound, and by not having a ball in the chamber it gives a constant high decibel sound. 110 decibels to be precise! That is certainly louder than shouting, and it is much easier to blow a whistle repeatedly than to shout over and over again.
All of these devices are strung together so they can be immediately accessible and are ready to go. The sealed waterproof packaging means they are protected from corrosion and a saltwater environment.
-SARlite

SARlite
Rare Poster
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Miami Beach, FL

Postby SARlite » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:03 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:09 am
A signalling kit is not a bad idea if you're going adventuring. I think it would be a pain to carry more junk just for a kiteboarding session.

I wear an Apple Watch 3. I can use the SOS mode to call in search and rescue, call home if I am stuck somewhere, or use Apple Pay to buy a coffee or a snack. My friends and family can (and do) use the various find apps to see where I am. I don't use the watch to record the session. I want to save the battery for emergency use. I use my Garmin Fenix watch to record the session and to see speed and time etc.

If I was going adventuring I would take my Garmin Inreach device. That is waterproof, has tracking and I can send and receive messages by satellite.

I always follow the rule of never going out further than I am prepared to swim. It's much more fun to do runs up and down the coast, close inshore, instead of heading way out to sea.
Oz,
We are currently working on a new carrying case for the SARlite Rescue Signaling Kit which will seamlessly fit onto your kiting harness. It will be zero maintenance, you'll never have to worry about it. Also, since the Mylar packaging is 100% waterproof you can always leave it on your gear, so its there if you actually need it. We will reach back out once the new carrying case it complete. It will work for SUPers and kiters!
-SARlite

SARlite
Rare Poster
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Miami Beach, FL

Postby SARlite » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:06 pm

norcom wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:59 pm
There are "beacon glow stick" on amazon at 10 for $12 and cheaper with water-proof pouches and loops for lanyards. Though water doesn't damage any of these.
When it comes to cost analysis, the Rescue Signaling Kit is actually less expensive than individual retail!
Chemical Light: Most chemical lights are available in bulk packs with each chemical light individually wrapped. Their price points and quality can vary greatly but usually end up around 12 units for $14.00 and not all of those available are the color orange (brightest color when viewed by Night Vision Goggles). Amazon Shopping Cart https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chemical+lig ... nb_sb_noss

Floating Signal Mirror: Signal mirrors that actually float are hard to come by, and the right size for a 3 x 2 inch mirror are rare as well. Here is an Amazon shopping search for mirrors in the $4-$12 range, none of which float when dropped in water. Amazon Shopping Cart https://www.amazon.com/s?k=signal+mirro ... _sb_noss_2

Whistle: We would only ever provide our customers a FOX 40 whistle, they simply are the best. If bought retail on Amazon you would find them to be between $8-$9 for one unit. Amazon Shopping Cart https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Fox+40+micro ... nb_sb_noss

Sealed Waterproof Carrying Case: None of these products will work unless they are with you. Ensuring the assembly of the products is small enough to fit in your pocket and in a low profile carrying case 100% sealed from the elements is critical to helping it actually be with you when it counts the most. Our mission is to make sure these products are on your person, so really only pre-packaging them together is the best way to make that happen. Typical small waterproof dry bags retail for $9-13 depending on the quality. In our waterproof bag everything you need is already assembled. Amazon Shopping Cart https://www.amazon.com/s?k=small+waterp ... _sb_noss_1

Return to “Kitesurfing”