Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

revolutionary twintip board

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: revolutionary twintip board

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:12 am

SO far all the king’s horses and all the king’s men have not got graphene to behave nicely at macroscale tho, in spite of $MM efforts.
But It will happen someday, i agree.

re:infusion, is that a 1980’s or 1990’s technology? :naughty: I forget... either way bloody old and still ahead of what is usually done!

Interesting to note, though, there is often little point to infusing a consumer surfboard or twintip type product with a light layup as the skin ends up too thin to resist buckling, the dominant failure mode....

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:10 am

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:42 pm
Am I missing something in the post?
There is nothing said about how or why it will be a revolutionary product.
There is no mention of something that will be sold at some point or in the works of being made commercially available.
Basically there is nothing to discuss?
Maybe there is a great new potential product but if there are no details in any form what is this post about :?:
Hahaha, everyone will wonder when they read this, hilarious!

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flyrob » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:55 am

As with all other kiteboarding hype, the next revolutionary product relies on the element Unobtainium"

It seems that most products still rely on Expensivium though...

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 pm
I think the next big technological step will be someone including EFFICIENTLY graphene in the construction replacing "standard " carbone" . Very Light weight, and very rigid, very thin (nano thickness on 1 or 2 layers of atomes) , and raw material (made out of cabon) is not so expensive.
YEP ! :thumb:
BWD wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:12 am
SO far all the king’s horses and all the king’s men have not got graphene to behave nicely at macroscale tho, in spite of $MM efforts.
Are you Sure of that ?

from : https://graphene-star.com/epoxy-graphene-composites
graphene-star wrote:
Graphene-Modified Epoxy Resin ...

The final composite showed an increase in tensile-shear strength of +122%, Compressive strength increase of +30%, increase in flexural strength of +73% and flexural modulus of +87%. Interlaminar shear strength increased by +31% when just 0.17% graphene (by weight) of graphene GS was included in the carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites.
Those grephine partials are Really Small ; might be a
major health hazard ??

Bille

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:19 pm

i think the new nobile split twin-tip foilboard is pretty revolutionary.....personally.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Bille wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:35 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 pm
I think the next big technological step will be someone including EFFICIENTLY graphene in the construction replacing "standard " carbone" . Very Light weight, and very rigid, very thin (nano thickness on 1 or 2 layers of atomes) , and raw material (made out of cabon) is not so expensive.
YEP ! :thumb:
BWD wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:12 am
Are you Sure of that ?

from : https://graphene-star.com/epoxy-graphene-composites
graphene-star wrote:
Graphene-Modified Epoxy Resin ...

The final composite showed an increase in tensile-shear strength of +122%, Compressive strength increase of +30%, increase in flexural strength of +73% and flexural modulus of +87%. Interlaminar shear strength increased by +31% when just 0.17% graphene (by weight) of graphene GS was included in the carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites.
Those grephine partials are Really Small ; might be a
major health hazard ??

Bille
Interesting about the Graphene powder. It also looks relatively cost effective for a trail.

I agree that it's potentially a high health hazard. What breathing mask is going to filter at a nano particle level?
That said, I'm tempted to procure some of the stuff and give it a trail on the next board.

Even if graphine reduces reinforcement weight by 10-20% that will probably be 5% weight reduction for the total board. I dont think it will be revolutionary.
In fact im not convinced there are many more revolutionary things that could occur to TT boards. Sure there is a lot of evolution and fine tuneing to be done.

But a revolution? that would be like going from TT to hydrofoil or SB. It would need to be a whole new category.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:55 pm

elguapo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:19 pm
i think the new nobile split twin-tip foilboard is pretty revolutionary.....personally.
Depending on how good it is, I would agree. I've been trying to find a builder to make one of these for me for years. I'll most likely buy it soon and see for myself if they pulled it off.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:55 pm
elguapo wrote:
Depending on how good it is, I would agree. I've been trying to find a builder to make one of these for me for years. I'll most likely buy it soon and see for myself if they pulled it off.
I had my mutant bolted to the foil for a while. But I didn't like it. For a tt to feel nice it needs tip flex, for a hydrofoil to feel solid it needs a rigid board. You either end up with a flexy noodle foil board or a stiff harsh tt......

You are better off to run a stiff pocket foil board and a separate tt.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
elguapo wrote:
I had my mutant bolted to the foil for a while. But I didn't like it. For a tt to feel nice it needs tip flex, for a hydrofoil to feel solid it needs a rigid board. You either end up with a flexy noodle foil board or a stiff harsh tt......

So true

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:05 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
elguapo wrote:

This and a couple issues with the way Nobile builds their foil boards has me wary. I’m currently traveling now with a 110 micro which I’ve had no problem with but the allure of one board only is sweet. I’m thinking of doing a rtw motorcycle trip and if that happens I will be buying it to take with though, compromises or not.

Return to “Kitesurfing”