Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Wetsuit Skunk stink....

Postby Exal » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Peter_Frank using wetsuits ... something sounds wrong :rollgrin:

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Maybe its the factory worker who tries them on - quality assurance. yikes! :o Like the Seinfeld episode with the car odor he could not get rid of.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm

dewwy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm
Alot of you are missing the point. It's not about a used wetsuit smelling due to bacteria or w/e.
It's new lower quality suits that smell like chemicals/weed/neoprene/whatever. And when i say smell, i don't mean you smell something when you directly bury your nose in the fabric.
You can leave them in the back corner of a room and immediately get hit by it when you walk in the door.

Regarding mystic, their cheaper suits are made in china and the more expensive ones in thailand.
I am not sure we can point a finger at Mystic. My wife only uses Mystic now, but she still has a Hyperflex which we cannot even travel with as it stinks so much like pot that her bag always gets delayed by inspection. We cannot even store it in the house as it stinks the entire house up... I tore the house apart looking for the pot I suspected her son hid... turns out it was this wetsuit!

Onda
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Watergate Bay, Daymer Bay (UK)
La Torche (FR)
Style: strictly unstrapped
Gear: Ozone / RRD / Slingshot / Firewire
Has thanked: 0

Postby Onda » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 pm

If a new suit "stinks" (rubber-like, chemical, weedish for some - obviously): Dump it!
The smell comes from hazardous chemicals (e.g. plasticizers, vulcanization supports) not properly bound in the rubber and slowly evaporating from it. These substances are very critical to your health. The evaporation is one reason why a wetsuit gets brittle with time. The higher the temperature, the faster this process gets.
Even the least-smelling suit is still bad for sure because it covers your body completely and very tightly. Much surface area for exchange of matter between suit and your skin / body. And all this shit is highly fat-soluble.
My personal experience is: O´Neill and Xcel are both quite OKish in terms of rubber smell.

Smell after repeated use is missing hygiene (not rinsing it thoroughly after each use, quick drying, like described above).

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Only experienced that skunky wetsuit smell with O'Neill suits. One friend was complaining about it and I couldn't really comprehend how bad it was, until I got my kid a new suit. "Original Junior FZ 4-3". Unlike my own ONeill wetsuits made with a "TB2 buttery soft" blue internal lining that I've been extremely happy with, his one was black/ black red inside, and this material leaves a very noticeable rubbery skunk stink in the car, or in the bathroom, on his skin, and has done that for over 2 years now.
If I had known it would be that bad, and that bad for that long, I would definitely have returned it to the shop.

(Edit: that's the lining in the stinky wetsuit:
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
DIALS (Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 am)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Kitesurfing”