Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Sailflow/ I-kitesurf Refreash Rate

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 pm

What causes Sailflow/I-kitesurf etc. graph data to refresh, is it time based I.e. every half hour or are the graphs updated when the wind changes. I see no rhyme or reason to it.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia

Re: Sailflow/ I-kitesurf Refreash Rate

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Probably should say that it is the wind graph I am after

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

I think it depends on the owner of the station and how often they update their data as well as how often iKitesurf pulls from their data (may be continuous? ). In my area NOAA has one station that updates every 6 minutes, but the data available is 20+ minutes old. Another station owned by COMPS University of South Florida, is updated every hour and can be up to 2 hours behind. Some of the private homeowner stations are more up to date, 2-4 minutes old. These stations are not the "paid for" stations.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:10 pm

If you look at the station in Weatherflow it should say who owns the station. If the station is owned by Weatherflow (ikitesurf/iwindsurf/sailflow/fishwind/etc) it's all the same company; I believe it's 5min. These are the paid stations in yellow. If the station's owned by another source, it depends on the station and the source.

Weatherflow gets Wunderground station updates every 15min or so. If you can find the station ID on Wunderground, you could query it directly via the Wunderground API and get updates immediately. Depending on the station's hardware you maybe able to pull data as often as two seconds if you know how to code. Some WeatherSTEM stations publish to Wunderground before Weatherflow gets them. That takes even longer and the average isn't as accurate. Those are best to find through WeatherSTEM links the stations usually post on their websites.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia