Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiting in Florida

Postby Balloonboy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 am

Will be visiting the Sunny Isles/Aventura/Golden Beach area in November for long enough that I would consider bringing my stuff especially if there’s a front in the forecast. Can you kite in or near these areas?

I’ve been kiting for a long time in The Bahamas (and elsewhere) in only waves at this point. I have never knowingly killed a tourist, but they are much a non-issue in Nassau. There aren’t many at our better sites and once we launch we head offshore to a reef break.

Thx.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kiting in Florida

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

Check spots on here:

https://se.kiteforum.com/spots

There is a famous spot further south of you...many Miami kiters go there on a good W or NW forecast:

https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/ ... rtail_park
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Balloonboy (Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Hope you get some good wind. Twenty years of kiting has resulted in a lot of access issues in Miami. Who can we blame ??? Us, the kiters who have gone before oh and those that still do butthead stuff today. The most direct option which comes to mind is at Matheson Hammock. You need to register with Adventure Sports to ride there. I would usually suggest Crandon Park but isn't an annual membership now required there? The Kite Shop has some concessions on Miami Beach, whom you might get in touch with for more specifics. All of these have fees. It costs but I would definitely take the sea taxi out to Stiltsville with Melissa of South Florida Kiteboarding. It is a scenic flat water spot with all the houses on the water. Miami Beach has a new kiter registration program which might be of interest, more at mbkite.org .
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Balloonboy (Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 pm)

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Thx for the replies. So as I read it, if I’m staying at a hotel on the beach in between 87th St and Meade St, basically Aventura, the closest spot is either of those two and I cannot launch anywhere in between? That’s a lot of no-fly zone.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm

All of Miami Beach was technically closed to kiting in 2002, that's an even larger no-fly zone. Enforcement was lax, common sense among some kiters was more lax still. What you ended up with as a result is a lot of banned beach areas. I would contact TKS, they have a concession at 76 St. and should be able to advise you about options which may exist along that area of North Miami Beach. I used to be on top of rideable beaches in Miami, living 60 miles away, but things have become complex down there. Good luck. https://tksmiami.com

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm

I came across this the other day. Permits now required to kite Miami Beach.
Iko or somesuch certification and $46 for 5 years.

Kiteboard Operator Permits
Thursday, October 3, 2019

ATTENTION ALL MIAMI BEACH KITEBOARDERS:

Just a friendly reminder that on May 8, 2019, the Mayor and City Commission adopted Ordinance No. 2019-4263 which implemented new rules and regulations for kiteboarders, including requiring all kiteboarders to obtain a Kiteboard Operator Permit by October 1, 2019. The section of the City Code governing kiteboard operators can be found here .

Subject to the requirements specified in the ordinance, Kiteboard Operator Permits are available for a fee of $46 and are valid for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance.

Kiteboard Operator Permits may be applied for online or in person. The application is available online here and in person at the City of Miami Beach Customer Service Center, located at 1755 Meridian Avenue, Suite 100.

In conjunction with the permit, the City will issue a laminated kiteboard identification card and an identification streamer. If applying in person, subject to application approval, you will receive your permit, ID card and streamer at the time of application. If applying online, you may choose either to have the permit, ID card and streamer mailed to you or picked up in person at the Customer Service Center.

ordinance link
https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/wp-content ... inance.pdf

signup to pay link
https://eservices.miamibeachfl.gov/Ener ... ryName=All

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes, this is what I mentioned above under mbkite.org although you might do better at their facebook page. It is important to note that access to kite has been limited along much of Miami Beach for many years. This brand new permit allows access to two of the areas with the northernmost one at 76 St. at the TKS concession limited to instruction. The require flying steamers such as we brought about at Crandon Park in the early 2000's in response to government concerns.

Sec. 82-468. - Watercraft prohibited in restricted swim areas and in certain non-restricted swim areas; permitted launch, ingress/egress, and use areas for kiteboards; requirements regarding kiteboard operator permits, safety equipment, distance separations, and kiteboard lessons. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this division, it shall be unlawful for any licensee or watercraft operator to launch, ingress/egress, steer, propel, operate, cause to be operated, or use any watercraft within the restricted swim areas as set forth in section 82-467.

(b) Kiteboard operators must launch, ingress, and egress kiteboards only in the following city-designated beach areas:

(1) The area extending 125 feet south of the northern boundary of 25 th Street.
(2) Non-restricted swim areas north of 29th Street, except as otherwise provided in subsection (b)(3).
(3) 76 th Street shall only be utilized for kiteboarding lessons by city-approved concessionaires and their students.

https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/wp-content ... inance.pdf

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 am

Go ride Dania Beach pier if you can handle the drive up there, that's where I ride when I'm in that area apart from Crandon

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:25 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 am
Go ride Dania Beach pier if you can handle the drive up there, that's where I ride when I'm in that area apart from Crandon
The Dania Pier has a very small launch, lots of bathers and folks on the small beach. It doesn't work too well in low to moderate ESE to SE to S winds because of the close fishing pier. We also have to stay 100 yards north of the pier.

We aren't allowed to go off the 3 miles of empty beach north because of dumb ass kiters in years past. It is a state park and we've been banned there for a long time. I am fighting for access, one more time, on a launch north of there we have fought to preserve several times in the last 15 or so years. Hours of work for a bunch of people, group meetings, talking to residents to calm things down, etc. etc., over and over again.

Why?

DUMBASS kiters who ride inside the swim zone buoys, scare people, cause complaints and take away our freedom to ride. People still do it today, despite all that has been lost. You reason with them show them what we have lost and they can't control themselves or just don't care. WTF is wrong with people? The same crap for almost 20 years and they don't learn. Some of the same people screwing the pooch years back are still doing it today. Venting but there it is.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:59 pm)

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:00 am

Jeepers. Had no idea it was that bad. All that beach and just a few spots to pick your way through...

We had our best primo spot (private - owned by Atlantis) banned because a relatively new kiter insisted on showing off inside the swimming buoys despite being warned. But we have several other spots- all public. No wind in summer and no one swims in winter, so no problem.

That, and even murder is only frowned upon. We have bigger problems than miscreant kiters.

Return to “Kitesurfing”