Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone swap their bar colors around?

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone swap their bar colors around?

Postby Faxie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:13 am
I have worked on the water for years. There needs to be a standard which is red on left/port. ?Whether you choose to use it as a reference or not is your choice. It is this way for a reason. It is an international symbol and it makes us all safer. Dont F*** it up. There area few times I have let go of my bar in a bad situation. Grabbing the correct side quickly has allowed me to keep the situation from getting worse.
I had some cases were I had to pull one side of the bar to rescue my kite from falling in front of a collapsing wave, but I was still in whitewater so no way to identify the colours. Waiting to see the bar clearly and then thinking about which side to pull would've probably meant end of the session. You just crank that bar and hope it doesn't loop, and if it loops, crank harder through the loop.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:12 pm
Faxie wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:42 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Great point! So when someone else uses your bar, having it standardized red left/blue right helps others using your gear.

Also, when someone is trying to kill (make safe) your kite by pulling on one line on a crowded beach (avoiding injury to others) having the colors on the correct side is really helpful (to others). This is most important when you have detached completely from your kite, or you are unconscious, because you really can't tell someone that "your bar is backwards" in that situation.
Yeah, so all bars should be green on the left, and red on the right. Right?
If you intend to say that when you are facing someone else, they should call their left hand their right because it is on your right side, then I would question whether you are actually self aware.

If you just made a typo, but still are on about green being equivalent to blue, my question would remain the same.

However, given red and green as a combination being a Christmas color, well......I think it is ok to substitute blue for green so we are not asked about our "Santa Claus handle" by non kiting beach goers.
Well, let's hope you're not being rescued by someone who is colourblind. Green/red colourblindness is the most common form.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:47 pm

There is a recognised standard in nautical. Port and starboard. Red and Green. So many different colours are used on bars. Seems logical.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 am

Faxie wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Well, let's hope you're not being rescued by someone who is colourblind. Green/red colourblindness is the most common form.
Good reason to have blue on the right side then, huh?

But if you're trying to say that there is a possibility that a color-blind kiter may not realize they are color-blind while trying to help an out-of-control kiter...........not going to happen. It's just not a problem by any stretch of the imagination. No colorblind kiter is going to be specifically looking for the red and green when they know they can't see red and green.

What is a problem, for a kiter who is not colorblind, is if they are trying to help someone with a blue and red bar that is reversed. Given that all conventions say red is on the left and even manufacturers state that, it is completely plausible to assume that red should be on the left for that out-of-control tighter. There is no problem here unless this is switched or there are colors on the bar that do not come close to either red or blue.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 am

Couple of things
First- 6 pages on colors?
Second is a question also
How many of you who are worried about an emergency rescue have actually done at least one?
I have done a few and you either jump on the kite or jump on & grab the person and then grab whatever line you can reach and pull for your/their life. If you have time to look for the bar, let alone bar color and side, it might not be an “emergency” that requires instantaneous help?

jcady
Medium Poster
Local Beach: lakes
Gear: 2013 LF NV, 2008 slingshot ranger, 2008 Eh Ripper, 2006 ozone frenzy, 2011 Wainman gypsy.
Has thanked: 0

Postby jcady » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 pm

The true answer is front and back of the bar one bright the other dark then it is not left or right but right and wrong. This takes less time to process and would be safer.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 pm
SalmonSlayer wrote:
I have worked on the water for years. There needs to be a standard which is red on left/port. ?Whether you choose to use it as a reference or not is your choice. It is this way for a reason. It is an international symbol and it makes us all safer. Dont F*** it up. There area few times I have let go of my bar in a bad situation. Grabbing the correct side quickly has allowed me to keep the situation from getting worse.
I had some cases were I had to pull one side of the bar to rescue my kite from falling in front of a collapsing wave, but I was still in whitewater so no way to identify the colours. Waiting to see the bar clearly and then thinking about which side to pull would've probably meant end of the session. You just crank that bar and hope it doesn't loop, and if it loops, crank harder through the loop.
Well if you have no choice, then you have no choice. However, I have been in situations where I could see the bar color and it helped me recover correctly. Stating that the color does not matter goes against years of sound safety practices in the water.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 am

To be consistent with marine conventions the left of the bar should be red.

There's a problem with the right of the bar being green because of the relatively high incidence of male red/green colour blindness in most (all?) ethnic groups, so blue would probably be the best option.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
SalmonSlayer (Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 am

Granted, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. But I can't imagine relying on a bar's color coding when recovering after a crash. Just grab the bar and FEEL the kite. Then you'll know what to do with the bar. :thumb:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 pm
Faxie wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 pm
SalmonSlayer wrote:
Well if you have no choice, then you have no choice. However, I have been in situations where I could see the bar color and it helped me recover correctly. Stating that the color does not matter goes against years of sound safety practices in the water.
If you have time to identify colours, then you're not in a rush, in which case you don't really need the colours.

Return to “Kitesurfing”