Anyone swap their bar colors around?

Forum for kitesurfers
pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone swap their bar colors around?

Postby pj sofine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:12 pm
Doesn't anyone regularly ride with the bar the wrong way ? It becomes second nature and really helps out when looping kite during different moves like some front roll kiteloops . Its nice to be able to use your front hand instead of back hand to loop,or vice versa.I can't be the only one . If I am I get to name it "Polish grip "

Sometimes yes, but I can not see how this is related to the topic, regarding being able to see which side to grab instantly, when shit hits the fan :wink:

8) Peter
For me I never worry about which side to pull,in 18 years nothing has ever happened to me in these situations,if kite goes wrong way I either adjust or just loop it through. I guess I really have nothing to add, sorry,i'll bow out ! Carry on ! :thumb:
These users thanked the author pj sofine for the post:
knotwindy (Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:07 am

For hydrofoiling it is a PITA if you get the wrong side, as if the kite goes down, in winds well below 10 knots, you have to drift or swim ashore, maybe also roll the lines in or pack the kite down if a foil kite (easier with a LEI), and the lines to avoid getting seaweed into everything when coming into the shoreline.

Get to shore to relaunch, and out again - this can totally ruin a kiteday as it can take a long time to get ashore and out again this way, maybe you also need to dry the kite before you can ride again, so the whole session can be halted :x

And for powered freestylers, if you pick the wrong side you might tomahawk frontube dead into flat water and rip the kite to smithereens :cry:

You are right though pj sofine, that mostly for everyday use we find out if we grab it wrong side, and can correct immediately, but for hydrofoiling and freestyle "last second saves" it will not work, and can be a little or a big disaster :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
SalmonSlayer (Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:30 pm) • K-Roy (Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 pm) • pj sofine (Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:12 am)
Rating: 9.09%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Im done. I cant handle forums the kook level is just way to high it literally hurts my head reading the shit people say on here.

Clueless kooks giving clueless kooks advice

arent all of us kiters kooks.....?
.....by definition.

we're dragging all this unnecessary sihht out into da waves...when all one really needs is just a board.

i keep the the red (or yellow with core bars) for left.. and never really varied.
i never really want to have to think "which side is which" when i need to move kite in a hurry
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
SalmonSlayer (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 pm)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:50 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:12 pm
Doesn't anyone regularly ride with the bar the wrong way ? It becomes second nature and really helps out when looping kite during different moves like some front roll kiteloops . Its nice to be able to use your front hand instead of back hand to loop,or vice versa.I can't be the only one . If I am I get to name it "Polish grip "

Sometimes yes, but I can not see how this is related to the topic, regarding being able to see which side to grab instantly, when shit hits the fan :wink:

8) Peter
For me I never worry about which side to pull,in 18 years nothing has ever happened to me in these situations,if kite goes wrong way I either adjust or just loop it through. I guess I really have nothing to add, sorry,i'll bow out ! Carry on ! :thumb:
Yeah that. Don't have time to identify colours when I have to respond quickly. Most of the time the bar gets pulled straight by the kite anyway.

mbs
Medium Poster
Gear: Kites and boards

Postby mbs » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Since I mostly only jump in my natural direction, my lines used to get stretched unevenly. Years ago I started alternating how I connect them. One session will rig red lines to red pigtails, next will go red to blue. That evens out the line stretch. When it’s rigged red to blue (bar upside down/colors reversed) it only means that the trim strap is facing away from you instead of towards you, no big deal.

I don’t think I’ve ever once thought about the bar colors while riding or relaunching. But if you want the bar with colors reversed, just flip it over and connect the lines to the kite the other way - I do it half the time and it’s no issue.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:18 pm

I once had the bar the "wrong" way around when a friend borrowed it and turned out he paid attention to the colors and immediately tomahawked the kite. I'd prefer manufacturers just left the bar bi-sided with no colors. Just this morning I was helping a beginner and had to explain the convention of "red on left", without being able to explain why, other than it is a convention. I even recall bars with writing on them saying something like "wrong way around" if you rigged the opposite way! And to make things messier, when rigging with the lines downwind as I always do, one needs to set the bar down "red on right", which at least sounds correct!

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:23 am
One first things i tell students is colours dont matter what matters is that everything is the same length?
Wow - you should rethink your strategy from my perspective. Try to ever steer a kite with the bar flipped and you Kern it the healed way. Intuition kicks in and it ends badly. G
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
revhed (Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:44 am)

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:48 pm

On a boat, the navigation lights are

Red port side
Green starboard

That is where the red left side convention comes from.

I wish manufactiters would pick any color and standardize.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 am

purdyd wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:48 pm
They did, years ago. Naish, one of the industry leaders, even was standardized to red on left/blue on right. Then they abandoned it for some stupid reason. Likely it was due to some graphics designer wanting to justify their position in the company.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:58 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 am
purdyd wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:48 pm
They did, years ago. Naish, one of the industry leaders, even was standardized to red on left/blue on right. Then they abandoned it for some stupid reason. Likely it was due to some graphics designer wanting to justify their position in the company.
They didn't abandon it.
https://www.naishkites.com/products/control-systems

Return to “Kitesurfing”