Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone swap their bar colors around?

Forum for kitesurfers
SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone swap their bar colors around?

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Im done. I cant handle forums the kook level is just way to high it literally hurts my head reading the shit people say on here.

Clueless kooks giving clueless kooks advice
Make a statement that is questionable, getting questions, call people Kooks and then hide instead of giving logical answers. LOL

If someone lets go of their bar and needs to grab it quickly to steer the kite away from trouble, knowing left and right is very important.

Just wondering what other pearls of wisdom you have imparted on your students. :o

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 pm

very good points from many here :D

Talked with friends about the very same as late as yesterday, especially because so many of the new superlightweight carbon bars we use for mostly foiling now, dont have any colour coding whatsoever, just all black.

Have had many different colours on my bars, but I dont find they, or the line colours themeselves, are any good for fast reckognition of right/left as in the dark or rainy weather or whatever just when slightly in doubt, you can not distinguish for sure which side is which in my experience.

I was motivated by one having a "funny" kind of small flag on one line, an ad or commercial I think, still dont know why it was there, but today I made a small one out of spinnaker tape.

My thought is, that it will be way faster and easier to see, than colours.

Sailed with it today, and it did not disturb anything.

Whether you want it to the left or right is personal of course.

Just an idea?

Regarding when you try friends kites, this is not an issue, as you know they can be turned "any" way, two of my friends just put the lines up, sometimes in reverse red lines to the right, but you can get used to that pretty fast.

8) Peter
Attachments
Vimpel.jpg
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
knotwindy (Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 pm)
Rating: 10%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Im done. I cant handle forums.......
Don't give up Kozzie. My dad says "if you work hard and never give up, all your dreams will come true!"

But if you're dead set on that, maybe I will go back to your old posts and see if I can dig up some point where you actually did contribute something useful.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
SalmonSlayer (Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 pm)

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 pm

A good way to keep yourself and others safe is to abide by the convention of red on the left and blue on the right. This has been standard for a long time in kiteboarding and it has its roots in Marine applications for many years before kiteboarding was invented.

If you change any bar that had unconventional colors on it, change to only red on the left and blue on the right.

I can see some stupid manufacturers coming up with fashionable new colors. Some have even exemplified the highest degree of stupidity by putting blue on the side that should have red. But as far as I know no company has had the audacity to put red on the right and blue on the left. That is a good way to get someone killed.

I use an old switch bar that was originally blue on the left side and black on the right. So I just flipped the bar and put some red tape on the floats and bar end to make it standard red left blue right.

As far as companies that do use odd colors - fashion is passion! But this is one fashion in kiteboarding where I have never ever spoke to a fellow kiteboarder who thinks that it is is a good idea to go against the standard red left blue right. Bar color just seems to be so far away from kite color in importance, that it is just plain stupid that any graphic designer could possibly have the clout to override safety conventions.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post (total 2):
SalmonSlayer (Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:59 pm) • purdyd (Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 am)
Rating: 20%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 pm

Oh good, lots of personal opinions
Mine is, after kiting for some years, I have no idea which color/side is which after crashing. And I don’t seem to check for colors when I grab so I don’t care which is which. If the designers want to get their sh*t together and standardize this I still won’t much care either way.
Since I don’t unhook any longer (bad, old shoulders get unhappy) I usually don’t let go of the bar, just sheet way out so I already know which side is which. When I do have to let go, I don’t look, just grab whatever side is close and pull hard enough to loop, 99% of the time the kite ends up high in the air and quite calm. Yes, even overpowered.
Even ruscue/grabbing run away kites, I don’t look at the bar color, whether on the sand or on the water. Not sure when it would really matter so I am happy any way it settles.
To the OP, sure, swap your bar anyway you like, add colors, flags, etc. Whatever makes it easier & safer & faster for you.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
pj sofine (Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 am)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 am

Flag on the leaders is a great idea. I often kite in low light conditions in the winter zero chance to see the color of the bar but that pennant would work.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 am

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 pm
Oh good, lots of personal opinions
Mine is, after kiting for some years, I have no idea which color/side is which after crashing. And I don’t seem to check for colors when I grab so I don’t care which is which. If the designers want to get their sh*t together and standardize this I still won’t much care either way.
Since I don’t unhook any longer (bad, old shoulders get unhappy) I usually don’t let go of the bar, just sheet way out so I already know which side is which. When I do have to let go, I don’t look, just grab whatever side is close and pull hard enough to loop, 99% of the time the kite ends up high in the air and quite calm. Yes, even overpowered.
Even ruscue/grabbing run away kites, I don’t look at the bar color, whether on the sand or on the water. Not sure when it would really matter so I am happy any way it settles.
To the OP, sure, swap your bar anyway you like, add colors, flags, etc. Whatever makes it easier & safer & faster for you.
I normally get caught out untwisting the bar - not mid move. I'm fine for single rotations but its the double rotations that tend to catch me out. You know the - riding along, spin the bar. Wait. Thats the wrong way - spin it back again. WAIT! kite heading into the water. Grab bar to steer......and ......wrong end - steer into the water.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:08 pm)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Doesn't anyone regularly ride with the bar the wrong way ? It becomes second nature and really helps out when looping kite during different moves like some front roll kiteloops . Its nice to be able to use your front hand instead of back hand to loop,or vice versa.I can't be the only one . If I am I get to name it "Polish grip "

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Ever since I learned to kite I memorized having Red on the left (where the heart is)
Of coarse in the beginning it has oblivious reasons, but now years later I still find my self in situations where I only have a split second to know which side to grab, so it has to be almost instinctive.
(situations like wipeout in waves big enough to rotate you a few times, I find letting go of the bar increases my chances of not crashing the kite and then quickly grab it again...)

cheers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:12 pm
Doesn't anyone regularly ride with the bar the wrong way ? It becomes second nature and really helps out when looping kite during different moves like some front roll kiteloops . Its nice to be able to use your front hand instead of back hand to loop,or vice versa.I can't be the only one . If I am I get to name it "Polish grip "

Sometimes yes, but I can not see how this is related to the topic, regarding being able to see which side to grab instantly, when shit hits the fan :wink:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”