North Carve 10M
North Carve 8M
Airush Apex Team
Airush Sector V4
Brand Affiliation: None

How much wind can a single strut handle

Postby camiri » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am

Before it turns to sh*t?

Thinking of getting an Airush Ultra 6m for those 30-40 knot days. I'm ~100kg.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: How much wind can a single strut handle

Postby dave1986 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:36 am

I would imagine it can handle as much power as a 3 or 5 strut kite... but when it's depowered the canopy will flap more.

So if you're planning to ride over-powered with the kite sheeted out a lot then a 3 strut or 5 strut kite would be better.

The only advantage I see to single strut kites is : A) They are light so will fly in lighter winds (good for hydrofoil). and B) They are cheaper to buy.

If you dont need either of these things then I'd suggest buying a multi strut kite for better performance.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
camiri (Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm

I have 3 single stuts 2 Ultras and one Boxer but when the wind starts cranking I find the the weight advantage of losing 2 struts is far outweighed by the benefit of extra stability and wind range that you get with them. For very light wind on a foil it's a big advantage it helps keep the kite in the air when going downwind. For high wind it's less noticeable. I have a 7m and 5M Prodigy they work great for high wind foiling, freeride and waves.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Firstly, what board type? Foiling or surface board? All of the above advice makes sense to me and my initial thought was that at 100kg for 30-40 knots a 6m single strut is not the right call. Your big and riding in powerful wind on a decent size kite so its gonna be loaded up, especially on a TT or surfboard. If you were foiling in those winds I'm not sure you would be asking the question.

I guess in my opinion it comes down to loading. I'm 75kg, would only really buy a single strut kite in 6m for hydrofoiling (low resistance) and use it between 16 and 25 knots. Over 20 knots I really should be on a 4 for foiling. I could switch to a surfboard, and hold a 6 down to probably 35 knots, but I don't really see much advantage to it being single strut. If anything it will wobble around a lot more than I want. It would do in a pinch, but I have three strut kites I keep around for use on surfboard in big winds. At your weight on hydrofoil the same kite would do for maybe 20-30 knots, but not 30-40.

For your weight, in those winds, with that size kite: a fully structured 6m is probably a better call.

Dropping struts, and more importantly the associated weight of overall build that should accompany single strut design, is geared toward low load riding with a hydrofoil, where a 6m is used in the same wind those on surface boards are typically on 9-12m kites depending on body weight.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
knotwindy (Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 pm
Firstly, what board type? Foiling or surface board? All of the above advice makes sense to me and my initial thought was that at 100kg for 30-40 knots a 6m single strut is not the right call. Your big and riding in powerful wind on a decent size kite so its gonna be loaded up, especially on a TT or surfboard. If you were foiling in those winds I'm not sure you would be asking the question.

I guess in my opinion it comes down to loading. I'm 75kg, would only really buy a single strut kite in 6m for hydrofoiling (low resistance) and use it between 16 and 25 knots. Over 20 knots I really should be on a 4 for foiling. I could switch to a surfboard, and hold a 6 down to probably 35 knots, but I don't really see much advantage to it being single strut. If anything it will wobble around a lot more than I want. It would do in a pinch, but I have three strut kites I keep around for use on surfboard in big winds. At your weight on hydrofoil the same kite would do for maybe 20-30 knots, but not 30-40.

For your weight, in those winds, with that size kite: a fully structured 6m is probably a better call.

Dropping struts, and more importantly the associated weight of overall build that should accompany single strut design, is geared toward low load riding with a hydrofoil, where a 6m is used in the same wind those on surface boards are typically on 9-12m kites depending on body weight.
See above. Really can't see any advantage to using a single strut in nuking winds.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm

I absolutely see a point to them in nuking wind. Not a 6m in nuking winds, but just watch the BRM guys on 2.2m kites effortlessly and loadlessly doing their thing like its 15 knots when its more like 30. I don't think they ride anything like you and understandably don't want the kite you want and vice versa. You would have to ride like them to understand the advantages. A three strut kite flies like a brick compared to a strutless one. They don't fly the same regardless of the wind and the people who prefer them are not trying to get strutted kite behaviour from them. They aren't after lift of glide or drive upwind. They want light in the hand easily shut off barely sufficient power, drift and dexterity, all of which improve with ultra light build in comparatively small sizes. and they are not equitable size for size. When your happy foiling on a 6m three strut, the guy on a strutless is going to want a 4m.

I'm no longer wanting to get off the foil when the wind climbs over 20 knots, so absolutely want smaller and smaller lightweight kites for the job. Going back to comparatively heavy kites is a disappointment regardless of the wind strength. They just need to be sized accordingly.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

I have a 4m ozone uno. I primarily hydrofoil with up to 30 knots which it is sweet. I have taken it out in up to 50 knots with the mutant TT.
You have to watch for overloading the kite and collapsing it during water starts and other high load maneuvers.
PS I'm 75kg.

At 100 kg in 40 knots you will easily collapse a single strut kite. I say look at 3 strut as a minimum and pump it hard. I have 3 strut 6m and is can handle a lot more jandle than the single strut before collapsing.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:45 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm
I have a 4m ozone uno.

At 100 kg in 40 knots you will easily collapse a single strut kite.

The front tube of Ozone uno is easy to collapse under high load. It may be the thin LE, bridle design or flat curve? To be fair it’s marketed as a trainer kite.

Whatever the cause the result does not generalize to one struts. Small Boxer in particular is rigid under high load. There is more luffing in the canopy when depowered but the tube is solid.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 pm

I ride a 4.5m Solo in 35-50 knots, handles just fine.

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 pm
I ride a 4.5m Solo in 35-50 knots, handles just fine.
You're nowhere near 100kg though... and ride a light surfboard, just for context.

Great thread, was considering a small 1 strut myself, this is great stuff to think about.

Return to “Kitesurfing”