Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pain in foot after kiting.

Forum for kitesurfers
Si_B
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Pain in foot after kiting.

Postby Si_B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Using the Sneaker 6 foot pads on my Shinn Monk. Had no issue until a the last few sessions where the outside edge of my foot near the arch is becoming really sore by the end of the session (bit of a bump which is painful). The outer part of the strap is not padded in that area and I’m wondering if the pressure of being hard against the plastic is damaging my foot.

Anyone else had anything similar? Had this board a while, not sure why it’s suddenly causing an issue (not had any injuries to my foot kiting or otherwise).

Cheers,
Simon

Si_B
Medium Poster

Re: Pain in foot after kiting.

Postby Si_B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Does anyone use different pads on their Shinn Monk?

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm

I have shinn ultrasonic I know the model is older but I got an aching pain on the area just about my baby toe. What solved it was just loosening the straps a tiny bit and it freed up the pain for some reason.

I now use different straps and have them tight without any pain at all. Try loosening the side that's cramping just a fraction, they are really nice straps

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Tried loosening the straps today but it didn’t help. My foot is still sore. I ride in booties and didn’t feel very locked in today.

Simon

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 pm

I got the SRS-1. Love how easy they are to adjust, but clearly something is slightly off with the design. As you say you got one spot which hardly has any padding at all. Especially if the straps are set for big feet, feet with a high arch and/or riding in booties. I think you would be better off tightening the straps if anything.

I got the same issue. Occasionally I will press against that spot without much paddding, but as I ride barefoot 99% time I will notice it right away and slightly move my foot. With the SRS-1 you can push the padding over slightly before every session - which means I rarely notice it, but still annoying - especially for a fairly premium product.

Still think my old Best straps from 2015 are the most comfortable I have ever ridden.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:28 pm

once upon a time... i had the (no very) great idea of ditching those cumbersome twintip footpads and try using foilboard straps (and surf wax) during a kite trip.
you know...to save space and stuff.

well..
i had no problem staying upwind or keeping an edge to launch...had no problem even keeping the board with me in the air.
i'd be using 12m kite called a "soul" regardless of wind strength.... because you know.. it skys...
the landings were just ok... they hurt without the pads obviiously... but was ok i assumed i was getting great foot/calf workouts.

after a while the "hurt" from landings extending to all the time during the sessions. obviously me being a big dummy i ignored it until the trip was done.

when i came my feet hurt all the time...even from walking...and would continue hurting for months afterwards (pain comes back even now whenever i overdo something)

the dr called it "peroneal tendonitis"...overusing a tendon in the foot.

and i believe the tx is simply rest.
(ie stop kiting/using your feet....for a while)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:23 pm

WD-40 works for me ; but my feet are made of SS & Carbon ! :D

Sorry : -----------------Bille

nfried
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby nfried » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Got the pads on properly? In a rush to get out kiting once I mistakenly put the pads on the wrong feet so the arch support was on the outside of my foot. My feet ached and cramped as a result.

speedreef
Medium Poster

Postby speedreef » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 am

Keep your toes pointing down as much as possible, while riding. i.e. before and after every trick, wave, etc.

800 mg of ibuprofen after every meal for 3 days

Give your GF or significant other a foot rub every night and ask for the same ...

You're welcome 🤙

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Anyone fitted North/Duotone entity pads to their 2018 Shinn Monk. I know they are made for a track system but wondered if there is enough adjustment to get them on.

Simon

Return to “Kitesurfing”