Naish Pivot vs Core XR or GTS

Forum for kitesurfers
boardridesurf
Rare Poster
Gear: Twintip and foil
Been thanked: 0

Naish Pivot vs Core XR or GTS

Postby boardridesurf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Looking for a real life head to head feedback (not affiliated reviews) on how the Naish Pivot compares to either the Core XR or Core GTS? Of specific interest, looking for comparisons on jump height, hang time, progressing with tricks, drifting for foiling, looping, and wind range.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has ridden both these specific Naish and Core kites.

Papiloko
Rare Poster
Gear: Core,Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Pivot vs Core XR or GTS

Postby Papiloko » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:35 am

Hi Boardridesurf,

I have been flying pivots since their release and before that I had an XR3, this season I was aiming to switch my quivers from 9 and 12 pivots to 8 and 10, sadly I could not get any 10m pivot on runout sale so I went for a runout sale on a Core XR5.

So my quiver now is Core XR5 10m and Pivot 8m, it's also worth mentioning that I had also a 9m Core Xr5 and 9m Pivot at the same time but ended up selling the Core.

First difference between the pivot and core will be bar Pressure. Bar pressure on the XR5 was really high so if you have weak arms or issues with your elbow, you will feel the pain.

I'm not a big jumper but I can consistently jump 9+ woo meters, I found that no matter which Kite I used the jump height was very similar from Pivot to CoreXR5 the Core will you give more Hang time though.

If you want to start looping then the Pivot will loop faster and better for learning and progressing, I haven't tried looping on the Core XR5 so cant comment on this one.

Drift for foiling go for the Pivot the Core XR5 has not much Drift that's a win for the Pivot.
These users thanked the author Papiloko for the post:
boardridesurf (Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6

Postby Kash » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:00 pm

I have Core XR6 8m and GTS5 10m, and I also have the nexus 7m and tried 9m as well.

XR6: it is the most user-friendly high-jumping kite i have ever ridden. I topped my jumping game from 9+meters into comfortably jumping 12-14 meters in just few sessions. The reason ? It pulls longer/higher and lands softer with more hang time (more confidence). Its hard to over-send because its not so quick anyway.. Also wind-range is huuuge. When you go really overpowered, you get like 15-20 more degrees upwind than GTS/Nexus, because the kite will go further to the edge of wind window. So I could ride my 8m in 30-38 knots without any stress or fatigue. I don't agree on high bar pressure - Its actually pretty light (as on every Core kite I have tried). Drift - is bad, looping is OK, but I probably wouldnt do high jumps with kiteloops on anything bigger than 8m. XR6 is a good old-school trick kite.

GTS: 10m is faster than XR6 8m :) It is much more precise and you get much more power in turns. Of course it feels much more cool, but the downside is - you need more skills to get high jumps and soft landings, especially in choppy conditions. I'd suggest to learn it on XR first and then proceed to GTS.

Nexus: its something in between. Not so radical as GTS in loops, but pretty direct. Dont expect higher jumps than GTS, but for learning kiteloops its better, because the pull is not so strong. The biggest plus for Nexus is that its very universal. It has great drift, decent wind range and is good for kiteloop tricks.
These users thanked the author Kash for the post:
boardridesurf (Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Boost and hangtime XR6
Kiteloops and unhook GTS5

rmaxwell
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: kitepoint
Style: intermediate
Has thanked: 0

Postby rmaxwell » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Two years ago, I switched over from the Naish Pivot to the CoreXR4 and the CoreXR5. At my level, the Core kites give a higher boost and are also much more forgiving of user error. The Core kites also seem to be more stable and have a wider wind range. Also, I had some beginners learning in my family and they had much more success with the Cores than the Pivots. If you are a wave sailor, though, I suspect that you might prefer the Pivots, the Pivots do seem to respond faster.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:15 pm

I dunno anything about Core, but for jumping and what can be done with the pivot I would think this is a pretty good review:

boardridesurf
Rare Poster
Gear: Twintip and foil

Postby boardridesurf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:39 am

Thanks for the responses so far. I know the Core XR4-XR6, GTS4-GTS5, and the Nexus kite models very well and they are all excellent kites for what they are intended. I am hoping for real life comparisons to the Naish Pivot. For those who know the Core XR or GTS verses the Naish Pivot kite firsthand, I would appreciate a true comparison between the Core verses Naish kites. Thanks again.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:23 am

XR + GTS + Nexus = Pivot

Wolkster
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 am

I have some experience with Pivots and XR5’s.
I own and flown 9M & 12M Pivots for last two years (intermediate+ skills & 10m type jumper). Have really enjoyed flying the Pivots and would say they are definitely big for their labled size, 12M pulls like 13M and so on. Borrowed my friends XR5 one day and was instanly impressed with the stability, wind range and ability to tell where the kite is above your head when jumping. Overall I would say it’s easier to jump high on the Core Kite, you barely have to pull the trigger and you are up there. Hang times feel longer, landings are softer and down loops landings are more forgiving. I believe the Pivot can do all the same things, it just takes a more board speed to jump as high, it’s not as intuitive as to where the kite is by feel alone and down loops landings need more commitment or you can pay the price if you loop it a little to big.

Still like my Pivots, but recently purchased an 8M XR5 to replace an old Slingshot 8M Rally and I’m very pleased with that upgrade. The only downside to the Core kites are the lack of colors and of course the high price.

Gethighwithmike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach - Cape Town, Balneario - Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach - Cape Town, Balneario - Tarifa
Style: Big Air, Oldschool
Gear: CORE and Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored rider and private coach
Has thanked: 0

Postby Gethighwithmike » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 am

I'm a CORE team rider and kite coach. I used to be a Naish team rider. So I've ridden the Pivot for years and the XR 5 and 6 since February. The Pivot and XR are extremely similar kites, no doubt. The Xr is simply smoother and more dialed in, in my experience. XR certainly has more bar pressure than the Pivot, too. I'm confident throwing big loops on the 7,8 and 9 10 XR6 (and even the 12 Xr6 one day - sounds crazy, I know, but I saw Janek do it and realised it's possible if you pull it late and high), but I didn't feel great doing loops on the 2019 Pivot 9m. I'd say the XR flies toward its leading edge faster than the Pivot, making it decent for loops still.

In terms of quality, CORE is superior. I haven't experienced any stretch in lines or asymmetry with CORE kites and the Sensor 2S Pro Bar. I have seen these issues with the Pivot and Naish bars.
I also like that CORE lines have a higher V (higher line split) so the lines don't get so tightly wrapped during rotations, causing you to lose steering. I like to do boogieloops, which can put 3 twists in the bar if your landing loop is with the back hand too.

Oh yes, the GTS: The most amazing kite for kiteloops. Catches you like a charm! Much harder to get a good take-off with the GTS than the XR. I would only recommend GTS for guys trying to do kiteloop late backrolls, boogieloops, or handlepasses. For freeride, big air, old school and massive loops, XR is the weapon.

Mike - gethighwithmike.kite on Insta

Return to “Kitesurfing”