Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42 twintip - review

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42 twintip - review

Postby iriejohn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Disclosures:

1. I have no commercial relationships with any equipment manufacturers or suppliers, and I buy all my own equipment.

2. I have a left ACL injury for which when kiting I wear a Donjoy Armor custom fitted knee brace, so I no longer jump because one bad landing might mean I'm off the water for months (and perhaps need a new knee).

I'm 81kg/1.8m/grandfather, Ozone Enduro V2 6/8/10/12m, Zephyr V5, big feet. Kite on the south coast of the UK (eastern Solent). Depending on the state of the tides, flat water, chop, waves up to 2m, mainly onshore/side-on wind. Kite throughout the year every day there's wind. Also in Barbados in Jan/Feb (where I used to live part time). Use Duotone NTT/Entity straps (L/XL).

I had a Lieuwe Shotgun 136 x 40.5 which was absolutely the best board I'd ever had - huge grip, very very fast, loads of pop (but see 2. above), great damping in chop, light, very kind on my knees, no spray of course. So why would I want a 138 x 42 Shotgun?

In lighter summer 10-15 knot winds I use a (17m) Zephyr which is a fast kite with a huge wind range but a little too large for the 136 Shotgun in marginal conditions (I use 27m lines in 10-12 knots and 25m lines in 13+ knots).

I figured that I needed just a little more width under my feet to make the Zephyr work but not much change in length because once you're on an edge you don't need the extra length. I figured that a 138 x 42 Shotgun would work nicely for me, and because Lieuwe don't make this as a standard size Shotgun I asked Lieuwe to make a custom board for me. I didn't specify where the extra width should be.

When I received the board, rather it being 10mm wider than their 138 x 41 Shotgun along the full length of the board (which is what I expected) the extra width was put in the centre of the board thus it had more curve in the rails. Oh dear, I thought, this doesn't look promising. :-( (The bare board weighs 2.64kg which is about the same as the 136).

First time out was 28 knots side-on with Enduro 6m in shallow flat water and also 1-1.5m rolling onshore waves, and to say that I was surprised is an understatement! I've been out on 6-12m kites from 15 knots to 30+knots, perhaps 15-20 sessions.

This board may feel slower but is actually just as fast as the 136 but with extra grip because the slightly more curved rails do not catch, so you have more control. It surfs really well without catching an edge (which the 136 Shotgun would sometimes do) due to a little extra width in the centre of the board and a little more curve in the rails. Finally, the small increase in total rocker means less/no nose catches in steep chop. My Zephyr should work nicely with it, and especially the new forthcoming Aluula Zephyr V6 (I hope ;-) ).

Thank-you Lieuwe.

(Have already sold the 136).
Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 3):
Exal (Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm) • Kitemenn (Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:12 am) • zlatko23 (Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 am)
Rating: 9.09%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Lieuwe Shotgun 138 x 42 twintip - review

Postby POACHER » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 pm

The Shotgun works well underpowered? It looks like it has quite a bit of rocker and that always seems to hinder boards when in marginal conditions.
I was thinking about a Carbonara 136, but in the description is says MORE rocker than the standard Shotgun.

I know Lieuwe makes custom boards, I wonder if rocker is a variable they are willing to do per order as well? If yes, being able to do a custom build rocker, flex, graphic and carbon Shotgun sounds like it would be REALLY a cool dream board....

What is the lead time for a custom board ireJohn?

(I better start shuffling some assets**....)

**unused kite gear

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Nice write up! I had a listen to one of the lieuwe guys on adrians podcast, sounds like a good investment to go for 👍

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 pm

POACHER wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 pm
The Shotgun works well underpowered? It looks like it has quite a bit of rocker and that always seems to hinder boards when in marginal conditions.
I was thinking about a Carbonara 136, but in the description is says MORE rocker than the standard Shotgun.

I know Lieuwe makes custom boards, I wonder if rocker is a variable they are willing to do per order as well? If yes, being able to do a custom build rocker, flex, graphic and carbon Shotgun sounds like it would be REALLY a cool dream board....

(I better start shuffling some assets**....)

**unused kite gear
Lieuwe delivered in about 5 weeks but I think they had to mess with some s/w to make the board.

The 138 rocker curve is the same as the 136.

No way I want a carbon board, been there done that. Wood has better chop damping and kinder to my (old) knees.
Last edited by iriejohn on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
POACHER (Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm

POACHER wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 pm

If happened to pickup a board in their workshop recently and based on what I see/remember about the process:

I would expect custom sizes to be pretty easy to do;
They make a big board and then cut it to size anyway.

I am guessing custom rocker will be harder. I think you might need a new mold for that.

But I would just reach out to them to see what they can do. Building the board is a lot of manual Labour anyway so it might be easy for them to build your dreamboard.

They are pretty nice people to have a chat with and you can pickup the board in their NL workshop and get a tour.

Not the cheapest of boards though and customizing them probably means quite a bit more $
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
POACHER (Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 pm)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm
They are pretty nice people to have a chat with ...
I've talked with Roel and a couple of other guys and yes, they are very nice people.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:15 am

These guys are awesome...also lucky enough to have a shotgun and picked it up personally! Did you do your sutom design as well IrieJohn? Share some pics...they are not the cheapest but compare to new gear of the top brands, however they do not have SALE. Besides the boards keep their value pretty well!

Love riding the board and never regretted spending the money on it! If you want to have things customized (like less rocker) I am confident they can use the mall of the normal shotgun on the carbonara if the rocker bothers you.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:15 am
These guys are awesome...also lucky enough to have a shotgun and picked it up personally! Did you do your sutom design as well IrieJohn? Share some pics...they are not the cheapest but compare to new gear of the top brands, however they do not have SALE. Besides the boards keep their value pretty well!

Love riding the board and never regretted spending the money on it! If you want to have things customized (like less rocker) I am confident they can use the mall of the normal shotgun on the carbonara if the rocker bothers you.
I specified the length and width and Lieuwe made it - looks like any other stock (blue) Shotgun. This is the pic from their web site.

Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Nice looking board too
These users thanked the author alford for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:13 pm)

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 pm

For those who are considering a shotgun board:
They currently have a 10 year anniversary edition where you can select one of 10 prints on the board for free.

As mentioned afaik they never have a sale but this is sorta the next best thing: a free upgrade to a “custom print”.
They will do 100 of these boards. I have one of them :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”