Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what is the best thing to do at each wind speed?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: what is the best thing to do at each wind speed?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 am

plummet wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 am
A surprising amount of experienced dudes don't kite over 30 knots.

30-40 is my favourite wind speed!! you certainly know your alive 30+ knots.

I can see many reasons for this:

1. On surfboards it does not make much sense in these winds, as when 30 knots average you are overpowered with a 5 m2, which is the smallest size most got.

2. Water surface is extremely choppy in these winds, so waves are bunk quite often, besides no glassy surfaces - but in some spots and point/pier breaks it can be awesome though, so extremely different.

3. At some point with higher windspeeds, even with sufficiently small kites, you can not surf as freely Down The Line, as the wind kinda dictates your line somewhat.

4. TT jumping will give you loads of height, but no hangtime and you will drop like a rock absolutely no float with small kites, not something many likes...

5. You will very often be out alone when this wind, which makes it even more risky, besides not nearly as fun.

6. Many regions dont even HAVE winds like this, so makes no sense to have gear for these winds. Some thrive by these few but awesome days, others dont and take the other days which are present very often.

7. Depending on location, some got "bad" weather when this windy, meaning raining/overcast/gusty, which is a turnoff too.

8. The "Being hardcore and out in extreme conditions" feel and status we all have had in the early days of wind and kitesurfing, wears off over the years, and many seek the best cleaner conditions instead.

Having said that, it can still be awesome, and many aim for this :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:04 am

plummet wrote:

Agreed! Spent the afternoon in 30-40kn. Although tomorrow morning my body may disagree with your conclusion.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 am
plummet wrote:

I can see many reasons for this:

1. On surfboards it does not make much sense in these winds, as when 30 knots average you are overpowered with a 5 m2, which is the smallest size most got.
2. Water surface is extremely choppy in these winds, so waves are bunk quite often, besides no glassy surfaces - but in some spots and point/pier breaks it can be awesome though, so extremely different.
3. At some point with higher windspeeds, even with sufficiently small kites, you can not surf as freely Down The Line, as the wind kinda dictates your line somewhat.
4. TT jumping will give you loads of height, but no hangtime and you will drop like a rock absolutely no float with small kites, not something many likes...
5. You will very often be out alone when this wind, which makes it even more risky, besides not nearly as fun.
6. Many regions dont even HAVE winds like this, so makes no sense to have gear for these winds. Some thrive by these few but awesome days, others dont and take the other days which are present very often.
7. Depending on location, some got "bad" weather when this windy, meaning raining/overcast/gusty, which is a turnoff too.
8. The "Being hardcore and out in extreme conditions" feel and status we all have had in the early days of wind and kitesurfing, wears off over the years, and many seek the best cleaner conditions instead.

Having said that, it can still be awesome, and many aim for this :rollgrin:

8) Peter
1. Agreed. But, if the waves are good, the surfers are definitely out on their 5m kites.
2. Depends where you are. A good swell and a long period usually sort out any chop. 30kn+ today and it was mostly flat between the waves.
3. True
4. Disagree completely. I just spent 4hrs doing and watching 30+ people doing the opposite.
5. I won't go out alone, but people come out of the woodwork for 30+ days.
6. Fair enough.
6. You don't want to kite in overcast weather? As long as it's not thundering or hailing (too much), I'm on the water. We don't get wind often enough to be picky.
7. Don't care about being hardcore. Only care about megalooping and boosting 20m. :D
Last edited by Blackened on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 am

M

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am

POACHER wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:29 pm
Toby wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:52 am
0-16: get laid
16-27: Airstyle
27+: get laid

:bye:
:rollgrin: :lol: :rollgrin:
Probably your funniest post in 10 years on this forum....
Lol it's his Airstyle technique - he pulls out flips it spins it before a smooth re-entry.. and other weird stuff :lol: :lol:

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:40 am

plummet wrote:

I have to agree!
Only a few weeks ago I had one of the best SB sessions in Prassonisi in 30-40 knots and over head glassy waves...

for me:
7-30 knots Foil
18-40 knots SB

in between 20knt.and 30knt. my decision will be based on the local wind and water conditions...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Over 30 knots with glassy waves ? Never even seen that before.

Haven't had a single session over 30 knots this season. It's just not that common here. Can only remember a couple last year. They happen, but sometimes at night, or with a ton of rain, or when your otherwise unavailable.

Have had a couple of 25 knot sessions and am so glad I did them on foil.

So far this season.... 10-25 knots.

all foil.

Fall is here and we might get a few big days, but so far its more 12-16 knots nearly every day rather than up over 30. Loads of good riding but no where near enough wind to scare me off the foil.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:07 pm

from 8 to low 30s knots... i've used a foil.

above 30 knots.. the wonderful cute little swell turns into a high volume double+ overhead beach break (with the accompanying rips)..
after getting beat up simply trying to get off a beach a few times..the desire to try it again gets reduced.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Problem with 30+ winds is it takes practice for it to be fun. If you live in a place where it goes 30+ every week then it's no problem getting used to the wind. If you live in a place where it blows 30+ once a year you never get a chance to get used to this wind speed. You can spend all day working at it heck it might take all day just to get used to the speed of the kite, but then by the time the wind comes around the next year you have forgotten how to do it. Pretty jealous of places where it blows that hard consistently. I'll go out tho up to 40-45 knots.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:17 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 pm
Problem with 30+ winds is it takes practice for it to be fun. If you live in a place where it goes 30+ every week then it's no problem getting used to the wind. If you live in a place where it blows 30+ once a year you never get a chance to get used to this wind speed. You can spend all day working at it heck it might take all day just to get used to the speed of the kite, but then by the time the wind comes around the next year you have forgotten how to do it. Pretty jealous of places where it blows that hard consistently. I'll go out tho up to 40-45 knots.
This is where the "high wind" foiling can help...
Using a 5m kite in the 20-30knt. range, will prepare me to use the same kite on a SB in 30+

Return to “Kitesurfing”