Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can I still use an old Concept Air 6m Wave?

Forum for kitesurfers
Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Can I still use an old Concept Air 6m Wave?

Postby Michaelr123 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Hello there,

So I forgot about a kite I picked up for a $100 when I bought my trainer about 6 months ago which I believe is a pretty old Concept Air 6m Wave (2007ish). The kite is in awesome condition, and I have flown it a few times before I got my modern LEI's this summer. It had tons of power and was fun to fly with the bar and lines I got with it.
kite.jpg
One catch though, its setup as a 3 line kite right now with a sort of sketchy looking rig to a similar aged slingshot bar and lines. The 4 de-power bridles are all rigged together and tied off to the 3rd line which makes it back to the bar. Is there any way to use this safely or re-rig it to a modern 4 line bar and line? It seems like a nice kite, and I'd like to use it if possible for snow kiting or for smaller riders or whatever, I don't plan on taking it out in nuking winds (could be a foiling kite for me in higher winds?).
bar and lines.jpg

I see that Concept Air still exists and there are forums about their equipment around, I'm guessing their modern stuff is rigged as 4 or 5 line, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

If I can't adapt this thing to de-power-able bar, what can I safely use this thing for? or is it pretty much junk in 2019?

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Can I still use an old Concept Air 6m Wave?

Postby irwe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm

No my kitebuddie gl rides an old CA Wave on loves it. Ben said he did a few mods on the new Wave but yours should be good to go. I have a new 6.5 Wave and just ordered the 8.5 Wave
I would use it on a four line bar. I have an Infinity Flysurfer bar and just picked up the Gong bars which I am modifing.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:03 pm

The kite and bag look very much like my 2001 CA Wave 7.5 and your description matches as well. Mine too is a fixed bridle with brakes bunched to a third line. This is not compatible with modern 4 line depower bars. It would require the development of a mixer bridle and this may not be possible with the existing attachment points, canopy profile etc. Not a practical proposition in real terms imho. A few months ago I offered mine for free, on this forum, to anybody who wanted to try to develop a mixer bridle for it and had no takers.

I now only use mine if I want to have a reminisce and then only on a buggy. It is very slow and was rigged on a giant bar. I split the brakes and put it on giant handles to get it to turn a little quicker. I would not even dream of using on water nowadays and although I have landboarded with it a long time ago I would have to be paid to do that again. Also it holds air well which could make ground handling awkward in snow.

Sadly imho, in real terms, the only thing it is good for is keeping in touch with the old days and appreciating how much things have improved.

Regards Herman

Michaelr123
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 18
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: Liquid Force NV V8 12m
mission control bar v2 20+3+4m lines
2019 Liquid Force edge 143cm
Been thanked: 0

Postby Michaelr123 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Well sounds like I lost $100, oh well. Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Don't forget that it can still be used for what it is. You can still have fun on a fixed bridle kite just don't expect it to perform or be as safe as modern gear. You will still learn things from it. I was probably a little harsh saying it was only good for keeping in touch with the old days!

Regards Herman
Last edited by Herman on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Has thanked: 0

Postby gl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:03 pm

I still have three of those kites. I definitely would not use them on water now, not that you can't it just has very limited range. I kept them around to teach people snowkiting. If you cut the one-way valves out of them it makes ground handling on land much easier. I can think of no reason why you couldn't use it on snow. The third line if sheeted in a bit powers up the kite maybe 20%. It also acts as the safety and the kite flips on its back when pulled further. I do not believe you could easily use a four-line bar. It will certainly work on the snow it will just have less range than modern kites.

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm

gl makes some good points.
You will also have to consider how you will use a harness. Am I correct in assuming the brake lines have been connected to the chicken loop. If that is the case that is your safety which needs to be rigged to the correct length to make the kite backstall down and sit on the ground nicely.

You then need to get a windsurfing style harness line for the bar with a built in quick release at one end so you can hook into this and still have a quick release. There are other alternatives or you could tough it out and just be careful with a simple rope harness. I had harness lines with qrs when I was using this kite for real but never actually had to use the qr in an emergency. But I was good at chin ups in those days!

Regards Herman

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Has thanked: 0

Postby gl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:21 pm

The middle line is not connected to the chicken Loop. It is just connected to the bar and the leash runs from that line up higher to your wrist or whatever you connect it to. There is no chicken Loop it is just a quick release harness line that attaches to the bar.

Herman
Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 pm

As the main bridles are attached to the ends of the bar, the bar will have to be strong if the quick release harness line is just a central attachment. Hopefully the op's slingshot bar is designed for this and is good and strong. Probably fine for mooching about but not sure I would want to be airborne on it but I don't think we are going for megaloops on this anyway!

Apologies for not noticing the bar which is much more upmarket than my old one, hopefully the op's kite is also a bit newer and faster as well.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:23 am

If kite is in very good condition it is possible/perhaps worth it to design new modern bridle and speed system in it.

Wave is a very simple low AR low cell count foil kite, it is the easiest kite type there is. So probability to success is good - within the limits that kind of kite has. It will never soar fast upwind or boost high, no matter what is done to it. Easy and mellow kite for hf use or cruising around with some depower is possible to have though.

CA kites have lots of bridle line and attachment points so there shouldn't be any problems in that respect, after possible redesign you will have plenty of line left for spare parts and other projects. Updating kite more like adding LE stiffeners is possible, how easy it is depends how kite seams are made. If there is double stitched seams you can push plastic rods in quite easily.

Three line setup is kind of relic today, it affects how kite turns, not to mention lack of depower. Of course it is possible to use that kind of kite for traction, like it is possible to use year 2004 C kite, Nasawings, Ikea bags etc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”