Reasonably Minimalistic Bar For Foiling

Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Reasonably Minimalistic Bar For Foiling

Postby downunder » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 am

Because front are like a front car brakes, we need them more than back ones :naughty:

The idea is to find just right bar for the rider.
E65AA8D2-CF37-4CAA-884E-A79501FADCE0.jpeg
Like this one. Many many years old but brand new for $10.

379 grams, hence way way better investment than buying a carbon tube bar for like €80-100...

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:11 am

Lots of good DIY ideas but I don’t want to build one, I want to buy one. The Europeans seem to be the innovators here. I’m looking for what we would call a normal bar with safety in mind but most needless bulk eliminated. So Not a race bar with every ounce shaved off and safely compromised.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:48 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 am
Because front are like a front car brakes, we need them more than back ones :naughty:

The idea is to find just right bar for the rider.

E65AA8D2-CF37-4CAA-884E-A79501FADCE0.jpeg

Like this one. Many many years old but brand new for $10.

379 grams, hence way way better investment than buying a carbon tube bar for like €80-100...
I had 3 of these back in x2-x4 days. Drilled the center hole to accommodate center line wrapped in plastic tubing. Still, my DIY openings were not as smooth and wide as typical bar today. I think $47 bar from aliexpress or ebay is better. (Gong seem to offer the same bar albeit in hideous color).

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:36 am

True,

Drilled enough wide hole. Still X7 times less expensive :)

Changed so many bars over the years, thats a huge expense...

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Have you checked out Jeff Howard at, I think, kiteboarding.com? Been a while but he had a KiISS setup that he was selling ready to ride. Worth a look, google can be your friend. :bye:

Kitetwin-1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:30 am

Still looking for a reasonable minimalistic foil bar, hiw about made in North America. Three times today my trim cleat caught on a steering line while down looping the kite while jibing and put me in the water.

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT
Has thanked: 0

Postby Rainer Kauper » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi,

I just saw this thread and I think I should explain why we cannot ship to the US or Canada. The reason is in fact the liability insurance. The law in the US and Canada is completely different to nearly all other countries worldwide. If there is any dispute in court because of for example broken parts etc. it gets so expensive in the US or Canada that the German chamber of commerce has advised us not to sell products for kitesurfing there, because kitesurfing is a risky sport.

I am so sorry, because we have many inquiries and we would love to serve them all. I was myself kitesurfing in the US in San Diego in 2007 and it was fantastic. I met so many nice people and now I cannot serve them with our products.

Actually some US customers have asked us to ship the goods to Mexico which is no problem at all. So if you give us an address near the US or Canada we can ship to we could come together. I hope this could be a workable solution for you.

Sorry for my late reply.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------
https://www.kauper-xt.com

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:30 am
Still looking for a reasonable minimalistic foil bar, hiw about made in North America. Three times today my trim cleat caught on a steering line while down looping the kite while jibing and put me in the water.
LEI or Foil kite?

If your on LEI, I don't think you really need any trim at all. Have been foiling with stripped down bars for a few years now. Would much rather rig down than foil on a kite with the trim pulled in.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:18 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:18 pm
Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:30 am
LEI or Foil kite?

If your on LEI, I don't think you really need any trim at all. Have been foiling with stripped down bars for a few years now. Would much rather rig down than foil on a kite with the trim pulled in.

Hmmm, disagree - highly individual...

On a foil kite you dont need the depower really, not much/often, as it delivers insane powerspike when flown, opposite to a LEI, so it can be flown on the frontlines always if you dont race (downwind).

Whereas on a LEI you need to depower the kite a lot, in order to be able to ride when the wind drops in lower winds - as otherwise it will backstall when you are in the water and cant stretch your arms to depower it fully when looped in marginal winds, and you need to power it up again as soon as you are up riding to get reasonably power.

To the OP, I think it is a matter of (short) time till you dont experience your issue with the cleat anymore.

You are learning, and when you say you are fishpoling the bar, even here it sounds wrong as it is never a good idea IMO.

So you are probably turning with too wide an arc, and you get slack lines (thus you think you need to fishpole) and hell break loose in terms of slack lines and maybe even a downed kite sometimes too when it does not turn.

But it wont take long till you get past this point, and dont experience this anymore.

So I would rather ride more and improve so you dont experience these problems :thumb:

For starters you could try to jibe flying the kite up and around instead, then you get less slack lines.

The depower itself is so simple and small, that I see no reason to "avoid" it - here is my simplest bar:

But I know you ask for "standard" bars with safety leash and everything, so that is another way to go, yes.

Still, it is not about avoiding the depower IMO, it is about avoiding everything "silly" around it, like floats and thick leader lines and heavy big releases and stuff.
And when you learn to ride just a tad more, you will not get the lines around the depower nomore :D

8) Peter

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 pm

it is a lil expensive for what it is...
and i prefer longer lines than the 20m it comes with..

but my favorire bar is still boardridingmaui's CCS system.
i never got unused to that Looooong throw/depower. (is perfect...with line extensions))

Return to “Kitesurfing”