Issues with screw-in "Boston" valve

Forum for kitesurfers
Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Has thanked: 0

Re: Issues with screw-in "Boston" valve

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:45 am

This OZONE cap won't fit to Naish "green" valve.

Kite brands use few version of "big" boston valves, I'm talking about the ones with approx 42 - 45mm valve necks. There's difference in valve bases, valve necks and valve screws. They all use a bit different inner valve inflation walls, and also the pump adaptors are not all in the same shape. So, some adapters may fall out the valve easier.

The best adapter fit will be achieved if you rotate the adapter to the right (clockwise) to lock it more securely once inserted into the valve. Also, pump hoses are made from stiff plastic, so it helps if you position it as straight as possible when inflating,so that it does not apply anti clockwise rotation on the adapter.

:bye:
dave1986 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:25 pm
I believe that the screw-in valve type shown in the photo below is called a "Boston Valve". It's used on many kites including Ozone and Naish etc...

I'm finding that the wider diameter cylindrical shape pump nozzle doesn't fit very tightly into the valve hole, so when the kite reaches 2 or 3 PSI, the pump nozzle pops out due to not being a tight enough fit. So then I have to pump the remainder using 1 hand to hold the nozzle, and one hand on the pump :angryfire:

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and have a solution?
51-ozone-replacement-boston-valve-male-part.jpg

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Core XR5 7/ 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon, Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby leeuwen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:55 am

juandesooka wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 pm
Semi-related fun fact about boston valves: below the screw in mechanism, there's a little black rubber washer. Lose that and it won't seal any more ... and you may think a bladder repair is needed.
Not only that, a few grains of sand there and you can have a slow deflate as well.
Especially when kiting on sandy beaches make sure to check there for sand often.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Has thanked: 0

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:00 am

We call these "mini" boston valves, as their neck diametre is about 26mm. There are many sub-types of these valves, but mainly they fit into each other as the screw cap and threads are about the same. They are safely interchangable.

If you're Cabrinha kite owner with Airlock V1 valve, V2 valve cap does not have the same threads as V1, so I wouldn't recommend to change the cap alone.

The pump will not pop out easily from these valves as the locking is better than "big" boston valves, the issue is that you loose some air when pumping as there's no tight seal once adapter is attached to the valve cap, which is more noticable at higher pressures. Again, there's valve/adapter outer/inner diametre differences to affect this. Also the deflation is a bit slower (maybe a bit better than old deflate valves) compared to bigger boston valves.

Both boston valve styles has advantages/disadvantages, it is just a matter of prefferance of the brands/users.

Also, make sure to wash sand away from all these valves and be sure not to loose O-ring seal...

Here is the list of different valve options, boston type included:
https://drtuba.eu/bladders-valves/stick ... ite-valves

:bye:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:03 pm
True, if you have a "new" pump and/or kitevalve, it will often not fit very well and pop out too easily, I was swearing a lot years ago when having the first of these....

When used and roughed up, it sits a lot better, so problem wears off in time.

My latest kites from Storm Kites, has this special Boston type valve that can be mounted on any Boston Valve kite, but a lot better as it will never pop out because you just click the hose end directiy onto the valve so fixed.

Think others use it too, Cabrinha and Slingshot?

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”