Forum for kitesurfers
Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Reasons why Toby should delete Climate Change Threads

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm

I don't want to get into the whole climate debate but I don't think this thread or the other super long one bring much value and useful information to the kiting community. It's a good idea to reduce our impact on this planet that feeds us but this is more of a discussion about the well being of mankind not a kiting related topic!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 pm

I always suspected that when we became kiters we stopped being human

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:30 pm

drsurf wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm
elguapo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:14 pm
honest question.

are the fires burning in california a natural event? man made? (or a little of both..?)

and...just to know where we're coming from?
are forest fires, imo, something that happens naturally in california? (or really anywhere?)
Currently on Australia's East Coast where I live and kite we have an unprecedented number of bushfires which have been occurring for a number of months. This is in late winter, early spring, summer is still a month away. Usually we get the heavy lift firefighting choppers etc from the USA fire season on lease because our fire season would start when California's fire season ended. Now the fire season is happening simultaneously in Australia and the USA :(

One of the causes of this extreme fire incidence is the driest period on record that large swathes of eastern Australia have ever experienced. Inland towns and cities in NSW are facing a summer with virtually no water supply. Dams are empty, our longest river no longer runs and the water holes left on that river are becoming places for fish to die and poisonous algae to proliferate.

Meanwhile in the north east of Australia , one of the worlds largest natural wonders, The Great Barrier Reef, is dying as the coral reef succumbs to unprecedented high water temperatures.

Still our Government in it's infinite wisdom believes the future of Australia lies in mining and exporting more coal as well as burning it for electricity here. The fact that we have the worlds best solar and wind resources as well as lithium and other battery manufacturing materials seems to be ignored.

When you can experience what scientists have been saying for years is likely to happen with climate change, you wonder how people can believe otherwise. But they do, they see the proof to their beliefs sitting in front of the TV watching Fox News or similar denial media. They don't get out and see where the change is happening.
Meanwhile at my local beach the water level is rising a few mm every year and the sand is moving...
pretty exciting info you shared..
but my questions were:
are the fires burning in california a natural event? man made? (or a little of both..?)

are forest fires, imo, something that happens naturally in california? (or really anywhere?)

my opinion about california...
wildfires are a part of the natural cycle there...but ALSO i do believe mismanagemnt of timber policy does contribute to the current severity of fires
good & interesting read.
http://calforests.org/download/biomass- ... -report-2/

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:06 pm

If you dont like them dont read them. It's a free world. Toby has been pretty consistent in how he runs his forums. Anything goes except for personal attacks and spam and even with personal attacks he always lets it slide the first couple of times, he only deletes stuff if you keep doing it. Of all the forums I'm on, this one is run just about perfectly with just the right amount of control. The only thing I don't like is that Toby refuses to use mods he does all the mod-ing himself. So if one day he does a Steve Irwin and a stingray stabs him in the heart this forum is finished because the entire forum will just fill up with spam.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm
I don't want to get into the whole climate debate but I don't think this thread or the other super long one bring much value and useful information to the kiting community. It's a good idea to reduce our impact on this planet that feeds us but this is more of a discussion about the well being of mankind not a kiting related topic!
There is no debate that global warming is happening or what is causing it. The only real debate is how fast the climate is being fucked. IPCC says 12 years. I reckon it's probably less, but that's from my ancedotal evidence. Most importantly, I'm not a climate scientist, so I should just listen to what the people with multiple degrees and years of research say.

Personally, I don't mind there are roughly 85% less sharks in the water or 75% less insect biomass, but it's really not good for the overall ecosystem we sorta depend on.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:40 pm

IPCC says 12 years
Clowns.
They used to say it was 20 years (30 years ago).
I guess the psychologists, focus groups and PR wonks figured it would work better to say 12 years.
That was like 20 years ago though.
SO pretty much everything from here on is a bonus isnt it? :lol:
Laissez les bons temps rouler, greta grovelers!

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:01 am

Blackened wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm
There is no debate that global warming is happening or what is causing it. The only real debate is how fast the climate is being fucked. IPCC says 12 years. I reckon it's probably less, but that's from my ancedotal evidence. Most importantly, I'm not a climate scientist, so I should just listen to what the people with multiple degrees and years of research say.

Personally, I don't mind there are roughly 85% less sharks in the water or 75% less insect biomass, but it's really not good for the overall ecosystem we sorta depend on.
THiS... is a perfect example of the mob/herb mentality that makes*not* debating EVERYTHING......including global warming.
...dangerous.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:17 am

elguapo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:00 pm
just make a "general discussion" and/or politics forum.....and then be strict about keeping the politicized or otherwise sullied topics...there.
Only in the USA is science politicized ... the land where the environment is politically left or right, you know, just like gravity is 'left' or electricity is 'right' .... lol

But back on topic, I guess Toby should do whatever he feels like, and I guess having MORE topics makes this forum more interesting and more worthwhile coming to. Isn't that the point of a website? Making it interesting so people come back?

Oil pollution on beaches and plastic being washed up and beaches full of dead fish are all topics that are kitesurf related? Surely? As is the climate? The climate drives the weather and we need weather to enjoy our sport.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:07 am

To those that flamed me — If you think that you can do much about climate change you have your head up your butt. You are not God. You don’t have the ability to change the climate individually nor collectively do we have that ability as kiters. Kiters represent less than 5 million people worldwide out of a population of over 7 billion people. So tell me I am an ignorant or worse if you want, but let’s face it, if you are so arrogant that you think you are doing any good by flaming me, who is the fool?

Sure, I don’t have to read the posts and I have not bothered to read all of the blather. I just don’t think this topic belongs on this forum. ED affects many men and is a serious condition, but we don’t talk about ED on the kite forum nor do we talk about AIDS, Famine, Flu vaccinations, etc., etc.

I do not deny that the weather is changing, but getting mad about it and expecting the government(s) to solve the problems is a big waste of time.

For some of you climate change is like a religion. Why don’t you go post on a vegan forum? They will tell you how amazing you are and you can celebrate your righteousness together. :remybussi:
Last edited by fernmanus on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 am

fernmanus wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:07 am
If you think climate change is the most serious issue facing the human race and you really think that you can do much about it, you have your head up your butt. You are not God. You don’t have the ability to change the climate individually nor collectively do we have that ability as kiters. Kiters represent less than 5 million people worldwide out of a population of over 7 billion people. So tell me I am an ignorant or worse if you want, but let’s face it, if you are so arrogant that you think you are doing any good by flaming me, you are the idiot, not me. Oh and by the way, I have solar panels on my home that powers all of my electricity, do you? Or are you using coal-powered electricity to light your place you hypocrite?
Wow, you are super angry. Maybe you need to take some time off kiteforum?

Chill out, you don't like reading some of the threads? Don't read them. The internet isn't just for you. Other people use it. Don't feel like you have to reply to every post. Some people will disagree with you, tough luck mate. That's life.

I can't quite understand your argument. You are now acusing us of not doing as much as you? You are doing more for the environment than we are? Yet we're not allowed to talk about doing good for the environment.... What is your point? You stand on the side of good, you have personally taken steps to reduce your CO2, but also you think it is all pointless. You don't want us to talk about it, but you are talking about it. There should be fewer threads on kiteforum about the climate, yet here you are adding to a thread about the climate.

You think none of us can make a difference. It's totally pointless. But also, you are trying to make a difference. And you think I'm flaming you? And I'm the idiot! haha. f*** me. I think we're on the same side.

Now on to the name calling. Do I have my head up my butt? No, I'm not 7 years old. Am I a hypocrite? Let's swap the quesion around .... are you the hypocrite? You don't want to talk about the environment, let people trash it, yet you are trying to save it! I think you are the hypocrite! Live as you preach. Take those solar panels off! Get back to coal power! Fly more! Drive more! Eat meat!

You are seriously confused. I love it. Carry on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”