Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Reasons why Toby should delete Climate Change Threads

Postby drsurf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:30 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm
More absurdity. Delusion builds upon delusion. So the sun is weaker 4 billion years ago, but evidence doesn't align so they compensate with greenhouse gases and that then confirms the alarmism with current climate theories. At the heart of it all is the preposterous notion you can know what happened exactly 4 billion years ago and also what is then and now the composition of the sun in entirety. I must say at some point do you not wonder if you are in a cult because it is all very far fetched. Science is great when it is dealing with what it can observe and test outside that it has proven incredibly unreliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faint_young_Sun_paradox

All it takes is a misunderstanding in atomic decay and the whole thing is turned on it's head. Let alone getting into the laws of physics possibly not being static. The time scales to be certain on these things are beyond human comprehension. You even get stuck in the present at the quantum and there is no precision at all just probabilities. At the smallest scale we can only guess a range, at the longest time scales we can only estimate based that everything has continued as it is now back till then and of ultimate consequence is what we can predict into the future, the past appears to have no effect on us ( spin on that one).

If you want to be turning society upside down because you think the world is going to end, don't you think it would be wise just to be a little more certain about your predictions? Especially that given time those predictions have proven unreliable.

drsurf wrote: If you don't understand the example that Venus is representing you shouldn't be displaying your ignorance so publicly.
drsurf wrote:Setting up straw men
Pot kettle black that is what you just did there. The Venus example is meant to be look wow how hot venus is, wow look at all that CO2. CO2 is obviously responsible for all that heat. But hey ignore the 93X thicker blanket, heater on 2X and stuck rotisserie thats burning the chicken on one side. Let me guess we get our observations of the temperature from that burnt side too? :-O super smart science people! Oh wait we did believe that but then we actually sent something there and oh shit things were just a little different than expected https://www.iflscience.com/space/death- ... ot-so-hot/ but don't you worry we know how old the universe is and whats at the center of the sun! 100% certain on those facts. Lucky you can't send a probe into the sun or back in time phew! Wouldn't want to get caught "DISPLAYING MY IGNORANCE SO PUBLICLY!" wow that would be embarrassing. Now I am off to go do some Gender studies and after that some Economics, wouldn't want to get caught as the wrong gender during the next economic melt down. Imagine that a science "Economics" that's completely human constructed and it can't even predict itself. Imagine if we had sciences that I don't know tried to predict non man made things. Hey maybe that's why they can't predict man made climate change because it's man made! f*** that makes sense now!
If your insecurity about your beliefs angers you so much and devolves into witless sarcasm, skip the Gender Studies and Economics and get some Counselling. I believe it could really help your mental wellbeing. Take care :bye:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:38 pm

AndersP wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:12 pm
Seems like we need a new thread about why we need to delete this thread...
Ah yes the paradox is complete :-) thank Miss Drsurf.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:51 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:49 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
foilholio wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 am
And consensus=belief
You had a really close look at the Cook papers the "97% consensus" is based on...?
https://www.econlib.org/archives/2014/0 ... agree.html

This guy did and his conclusion was "1.6%, Not 97%, Agree that Humans are the Main Cause of Global Warming". My quick glance at the(?) paper shows that 97% is a huge misrepresentation of the data. Misrepresenting data seems to be a problem, especially with climate science, but not solely.
Cook has done at least one other paper (with higher than 97% this time :lol:) and the co-authors have done others, and ask together they run the skeptical science website.

The methodology of that original study makes me laugh too. As does the authors of the papers Cook assessed stating things like “that isn’t what my paper concludes.”

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Cui bono?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Una gran senorita

The problem clearly a majority of the population will just fall in line to this type of reasoning. Throw an amount of authority especially large enough and it is too much for most people to resist. On the science side I understand the concern. If the sun was cooler and GW gases were attributed the effects for a warmer planet we could be headed for some real trouble. There is just too many things though to even downplay that scenario. We in reality have not increased CO2 much and it is looking likely carbon mining will come to a demise as electrification and autonomy come to superior price recognition. There is absolutely no way any radical policies limiting carbon will be accepted especially by china and india. The only way carbon will be limited is by either a war or and innovation, both actually highly likely.

Me my stance quite radical, like going with foil kites for so long, is more CO2 will benefit the life of the planet, we will come off carbon for cheaper technologies and then at some point maybe far in the future more carbon will be mined purely to raise CO2 levels more to extract more benefit. But then hey I also believe in aliens ;-)

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:58 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:49 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
foilholio wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 am
And consensus=belief
You had a really close look at the Cook papers the "97% consensus" is based on...?
https://www.econlib.org/archives/2014/0 ... agree.html

This guy did and his conclusion was "1.6%, Not 97%, Agree that Humans are the Main Cause of Global Warming". My quick glance at the(?) paper shows that 97% is a huge misrepresentation of the data. Misrepresenting data seems to be a problem, especially with climate science, but not solely.
This guy seems equally stupid. The assumption is made that those who didn’t quantify AGW don’t think that humans are the main cause. You can’t just fit those that didn’t quantify it anywhere it suits you (namely in the category of < 50% = humans are not the main cause).

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Pepe meme = instant disqualification

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:07 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm
Yes, it is now bigotry to "send in the clowns". Cant wait to see what's next!

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Where some see a problem others see an opportunity. I’d practically wonder what positive changes global warming cycle brings. It was global warming when Europe bloomed in Renaissance. It was global warming when Vikings travelled to Greenland by sea. There are going’s to be positive things. Why don’t we talk about those?
Last edited by grigorib on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:07 pm
MaximumAC wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm
Yes, it is now bigotry to "send in the clowns". Cant wait to see what's next!
Bigotry? Absurd to meme-ify this debate in general. Glad you all feel comfortable calling each other clowns and searching for the lowest common denominator.

Return to “Kitesurfing”