Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nit-picking questions about my 2017 9m Rebel

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Nit-picking questions about my 2017 9m Rebel

Postby sarc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:50 am

This kite is amazing, I'm very happy with it. I use the kite most weekends but it's in great shape (bought end 2017, and I take good care of it).

I have 2 small questions, anyone with experience?

1. Flutter during kiteloops: nothing extreme, I can hear it (FRRRRRRRRT!!) but not feel it in the bar. My concern is aging of the canopy at trailing edge. Is this normal for 2017 Rebels? I suppose no way to prevent it?

2. Kite collapse maybe due to 5th too short: this only happened once, kite was pumped at 7psi and I had shortened the 5th line by 2cm as the kite was juuuust a tiny bit heavy in the back lines, so I thought my 5th maybe stretched a bit. The kite flew really well (lower back line pressure, little better depower) but during one vicious lull/gust it dropped towards the water, then shot back up to zenith when the gust hit, and near zenith it collapsed into itself for 1/2 second (high load as I was dragged in the water, fully depowered as I expected the gust). I suppose this is normal in this exceptional case? Or maybe I did have the 5th set too short by 2cm?

Anyone with experience please let me know thanks!

Dan-at-Duotone
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: Nit-picking questions about my 2017 9m Rebel

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Doh. Wrote out a response yesterday and accidentally closed the window. Dammit.

1. Pretty much all kites will flutter a bit when flown aggressively enough, like in loops. I would not worry about it. I tend to think your canopy will get more working/chafe from a few minutes sitting on the beach flapping in the wind than a lifetime of loops.

2. This can happen with any kite, 5th line or bridled. It used to happen to me when I was learning unhooked kiteloops and the bar would get yanked out of my hands midloop and I'd come crashing down into the water like a giant anchor while the kite shot through the middle of the window. It happened only a few times, and I was underwater so mostly I'd just feel it or someone would come up to me to tell me my kite did something weird. I would not worry about it, it only happened when I was full ballooning underwater, never when I was riding or in the air and it always sorted itself within a second.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:09 pm

Yes it does help!!! Thank you Dan!

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 am

make sure with your fifth, when trim fully out (full power as some incorrectly say) that there is a ever so slight slack in the fifth. 5 line bars been tuning more than 4 line bars due to this.

Still rate it the 2017 as the best rebel ever....
These users thanked the author Teabageppo for the post:
sarc (Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm)
Rating: 10%

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:20 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 am
make sure with your fifth, when trim fully out (full power as some incorrectly say) that there is a ever so slight slack in the fifth. 5 line bars been tuning more than 4 line bars due to this.

Still rate it the 2017 as the best rebel ever....
My own experience is opposite, I have flown only Rebels since 2007, and I prefer them with the 5th a little tighter than the other front lines, so when the kite is flying the 2 fronts in the kite bridle are slightly curved and the 5th is straight. I seem to get better power/depower, turning speed and hangtime that way. I know for a fact the bridle will stretch over time, so I move the knot on the front line bridle up maybe 0.5cm per year to keep the 5th under load. On the bar front line and the 5th I tune them to be exactly the same length.

Return to “Kitesurfing”