Kiting since: 2011
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Christmas Wind in Brazil

Postby littletomp » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi
I'm thinking about going to Brazil (Cumbuco - Jericoacora area) for 2 weeks over Christmas. Can anyone advise what strength of wind can be realistically expected? I've read on holiday sale websites that 20-30Kts can be expected, whereas the windguru archives suggest 12Kts is more likely. I realise that holiday companies exaggerate wind statistics so can anybody advise me based on their own actual experiences please? I'm a heavy guy (110kg) and I need at least 16kts to stay upwind so want to be confident of good wind before booking an expensive Christmas holiday (coming from UK)
cheers

Andreo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Prea
Favorite Beaches: Ceara and Piaui shore
Style: Free riding
Gear: Mostly core

Re: Christmas Wind in Brazil

Postby Andreo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi, I have been living in Prea, near Jeri, for about 4 years.Always kited on Xmas, with kite sises ranging from 8/14m.Wind speed around 20/25 knots. Last year, atypical, for a few days in the beggining of December, it was around 15knots.My weight is 104kg.Cumbuco you expect a few knots less.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Better wind in Prea/Jeri at this time.
Cumbuco like 15-20 knots

littletomp
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby littletomp » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:31 pm

Thank you for the responses. Are the values shown on windguru generally less than the actual windspeed?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Havre
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 am

Cumbuco is more "convenient" and cheaper than for example Jericoacoara, but the wind is definitely stronger further north. I am 100kg+ and never used anything bigger than 9 around Jeri (could have used 12 a couple of days) - while in Cumbuco I only used my 12 and several days the wind was only decent for a couple of hours around 12.

I was in Cumbuco early October so I'm not sure how that compares to around Christmas in terms of wind. Obviously wind will also vary from year to year so I can't say if I was just unlucky or if it is the way it usually is in Cumbuco. Cumbuco would be fairly close to perfect if the wind was slightly stronger. Beach is great. A lot of space. Some decent places to eat and "lounge" along the beach. So you might go out kiting for 1-2 hours. Have something to eat and then go out again. While in for example Jeri you need to "travel" out of the village to a spot somewhere. In Prea you can kite, eat and kite, but that is also a fairly boring village. Other spots you more likely go out kiting for then to come back. It requires a bit more planning and effort than Cumbuco.

If you just want to kite as much as possible I would go to Prea. Endless amount of space. And solid wind. Even if based on my 2 weeks in the area the wind is slightly more gusty than Cumbuco (at least at times) and it can be pretty choppy.

Personally I will go back to Jericoacoara at some point. Maybe also Prea and Cumbuco, but that is not certain. Jeri is just nicer overall in my opinion.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 am

October has more wind than December.

The sizes you mentioned and your weight won’t work in December...you need bigger.

Havre
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 am

In other words definitely go north.

Return to “Kitesurfing”