Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

North Rebel vs Core XR vs Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby jadog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Ok guys I need help making a decision since I'm unable to demo. I have an older quiver of Slingshot Rally's from 2012 that I'd like to upgrade from. I know that kite tech has come some way in the past 7 years and I feel like I am outgrowing these. My riding style is freeride and I would like to move into more jumping. I'm not looking for huge air with unhooked tricks, but if I could progress to 5-10m jumps, I'd be satisfied. With my Rally's I don't feel very confident with jumping so I'm stuck at 1-2m. I borrowed a friend's switchblade and easily doubled that height (and confidence). So before you give me tips on how to jump or tell me that I need to change what I'm doing, I only want to compare the below 3 kites in their jumping attributes.

North Rebel (2018)
XR Core
Cabrinha Switchblade

I am primarily interested in maximum float and soft landings. I believe this will allow me to progress higher with more confidence. So I know North is now Duotone and all that mess, so to keep it simple, I decided the 2018 model of the Rebel would be best to compare for now. Anybody who has flown all three and can compare would be amazing! Also if you feel there would be a better kite than what I've listed, feel free to shout out especially if you've had matching experience with one of these kites.

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: North Rebel vs Core XR vs Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:52 pm

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Core XR5 7/ 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:05 pm

They are all in the same ballpark.
Jumping 5-10m will not push any of the kites to their limits.
IMHO you cannot really go wrong with any of those.
I would go with whatever gets you the best price or other secondary attributes.
Think spare part availability or resale value in the local market if you intend to sell them again.

Also in my experience float highly depends on kite size as well.
Going up or down a size will probably have way more impact on float then any of the other differences between these models.

jadog
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Indiana
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Rally Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby jadog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:59 pm

@Leon
I did search this forum and others for comparison and although some have comparison of two, none compared all three.

@leeuwen
Sounds like I should base it on quality and resell value if these are equivalent. Core seems to lead with that but I dislike their twist QR.

Return to “Kitesurfing”