Favorite Beaches: Raches, dioni, loutsa, pharos pounds, marmari, vasilina
Style: Freestyle, big air, megaloop
Gear: Duotone dice 11m,8m click bar 2019, team series 2018 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Change lines on Duotone Click bar 2019

Postby sortep2 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:44 pm

I would like to change the lines on my duotone click bar. But i dont have any idea how. I heard that the sk99 lines are very good. Currently i have 22m lines the ones the bar came with. What should i order? From where? What else whould i need? And if there any tutorials or walk through videos? Thanks.

xantos
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Change lines on Duotone Click bar 2019

Postby xantos » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Hello,

I recently made my own lines for my click bar. I used slingshot style line, but will be using Liros SK99 for my next set. There are a ton of youtube videos on how to splice and it is quite simple and takes maybe 10 minutes per line. This is a good resource as well: https://www.deckhardware.com.au/buying- ... -splicing/

The original rear lines were identical in length, but for some reason the 2 front lines were off by a few centimeters. I am not sure if this is by design or just a flaw, but I would just check your to make sure.

I am in the states so not sure who to buy from, but there appears to be numerous options for these lines in Europe.

I was a bit intimidated at first, however, will never buy factory replacement line sets again. The $$$ savings, combined with the ease and satisfaction of doing it yourself make the effort well worthwhile.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 am

The click bar is one bit of kit that scares even the most keen "do it yourself" guys.

No wonder, as when you start to take it to bits some of the parts do not offer a clue as to how they go back together,
the endwinder is a rubik's cube of confusion, and needs a keen memory recall to reinstall all the parts correctly.

But after watching the North you tube tutorials,and following the step by step instructions, then the cloud of fear and confusion will disappear,
and suddenly its easy, and you're the expert.

learning how to splice your own lines is a big step forward to building your own line set, I have done it and wish I had learnt this years back,
but even after many successful pro looking splices I would not say it's easy, and the time it takes me to do 4 ends is measured in hours and not minutes.

I would definitely use SK99 every time, but!
I now have 5 different types of SK99, all from different supply lines, and all look and feel completely different, and splicing the ends shows up some big differences in the ease of and speed of getting a splice done.

By far my favourite SK99 is the standard Ozone line,
30mtr lengths are great for cutting down to desired lengths and extensions of various lengths.

The SK99 I got from slav on Ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/slav42 -- is also very good, and he can do you a full line set of SK99, 2mm and 1.5mm.

the Ozone line is 30% more expensive but its much easier to splice, almost easy. it looks and feels high quality, glossy smooth, bright colours, the braid opens so easily for inserting the splicing wire and for some reason the thinner 1.5mm line is easier to splice than the 2mm line.
these two lines are perfect for normal freeride use, rated at 300kg and 500kg,

I recommend you avoid the thinner lines that are on offer from many of the line suppliers out there, 3 of us who sail together have done this and are not completely convinced this was a great choice for normal freeride use.

The red line that disappears inside the chicken loop swivel is a high wear high risk area to watch for, this line need regular inspection and maintenance, sand just chews up the line and it will fail if left neglected.

peterpeter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North and Cabrinha

Postby peterpeter » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi folks

Im just currently replacing my lines on my click bar 2018. Anyone knows how to get the red lower front line trough the plastic protection knob? I mean the plastic knob at the very end of the red front line (safetly line), where the metal thing is attached for the leash...

Im using the liros replacing lines, and it seems to me that the end part of the red lower front line is too thick to get through that knob

would be cool if someone could help me with that!
cheers

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:41 pm

You should be able to pull it through with another thinner line.

Note there are two pieces to the stopper. The stopper itself and a piece of tubing.

That tubing was I believe removed in 2019 ( later in 2018?) and beyond.

Trimming or removing it might help.

If you are having that much of an issue feeding through the stopper I'd make sure the line doesn't stick other places

Good luck!

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I looped the new line to the end of the old line, put soapy water on and in the tube end, and slowly pulled through. It went through easily.
Heating it up a little might help too.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
peterpeter (Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Splicing your lines is only about 1/3 of the process. Stretching them is where a custom line set really earns it's wings.

For the rear lines, I stretch to a high load at least one month in advance. At the time of construction, I never load them more than body weight.

For the front lines, I switch off stretching one line (75% to 85% breaking strength), then the other, repeatedly, then wait 20 minutes before splicing my last loop (setting the length).

Safety in a big concern when stretching to high loads. If you don't understand this. You may want to only stretch to body weight, or no more than half of breaking strength.

peterpeter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North and Cabrinha

Postby peterpeter » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 pm

WOW it worked, thanks man! heated up the knob with a hairdryer was the key, and some drops olive oil. but the olive oil alone was not enough, with heating it up it worked.. great!

Return to “Kitesurfing”