Kiting since: 2018
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay Beach Turks and Caicos
Style: Freeride
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

First Gear Purchase

Postby mbrimmer83 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:23 pm

I am new to kiteboarding and totally hooked on the sport. I am getting ready to start building my quiver. I have taken about 16 hours of lessons and the last instructor told me that I am an independent rider. I can ride up wind fairly consistently and I can do transitions. I have jumped but spend most of that time falling when I do. Needs some work for sure. I generally have to travel to go kiteboarding. Cape Hatteras is the closest hot spot to me, but I go to the Caribbean fairly often and have a trip planned to Grand Cayman at the end of December. I have a budget to get started with my first set of purchases of $3000 to $4000 US dollars. I have a lot of questions though before I make the purchases. I am generally not sure how to go about building my quiver. I could buy some gear now to get started and then add to it later with an additional kite and/or board. Will have to buy everything that is required to get started for sure. Harness, lines, pump, etc. I could go with some lower end gear and get more now. I am just not sure the best approach to take. Any advise would be helpful.

1) How many kites should I buy initially? (I have read that most travel bags can hold 2 kites, 1 board, lines, pump, etc.)
2) How many boards should I buy?
3) Will I outgrow my gear fast as my skills increase?
4) Should I buy a full set as a package?
5) I have read a lot about Core, but they are fairly expensive, should I go with a little more affordable brand to start?
6) Should I invest more in my first board or the kite (would I replace the kite a lot faster than the board as I increase my skills)?
7) I was riding a 12m kite in good wind and a 14 in lighter wind, but my weight has decrease from about 210 lbs to 185 lbs since my last session. What size kite(s) should I get? Board size(s)?
8) Any recommendations to help save money?
9) Any gotchas to avoid?
10) Travel bag advise?
11) Can I get parts or repairs to my gear if I am traveling?
12) One instructor told me that more established brands will be easier to get parts for around the world. Thoughts?
13) Thoughts on buying used gear. Ebay? RealWaterSports?

Thanks for any help or advise you can give. Can't wait for my next session.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Re: First Gear Purchase

Postby matth » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Minimum of two kite needed, 3 or 4 is better. This will give you more range and a better, safer experience being properly powered in almost any wind conditions.. Forget about Core, overpriced and over hyped IMO. Nice kites but they do nothing special and other brands are easily as good quality. I would look for new kites at closeout prices, you can get great deals if you shop around. The last thing you want to deal with as a new kiter is kite issues like leaks , tears, unbalanced flying etc.. If you just plan on Free riding , boosting, a little freestyle and waves then you will be fine on a good freeride all-around kite.. the list is long..Switchblades, Rallys , Prodigy, Flites, Pivots, Mono, Rebel, Evo, NV, XR5, Catalyst and many more....
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
mbrimmer83 (Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:59 pm)
Rating: 10%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:53 pm

You will get a shit ton of different answers. My thought is you can't really have too much, but you also don't need everything.
I'll try to answer point by point. Note this is my opinion. You will find your own in good time.

1) No rule here. Most are fine with 2 kites. I tend to think 3 is a good number then add on once the extreme conditions come around. Note that there will be one size you use more than others and it will be location dependent. Make sure you get that kite and not the sizes around it.
2) No rule again. My thought is I need 1 TT, 1 Foil and a few surfboards. I like to ride waves the most, then foil and then TT occasionally. You have to figure out your own priorities here and then decide.
3) No. Kites today are great. For instance, I ride the Naish Slash. It is a super forgiving kite for waves and it is stable in the air. Those qualities are something you are looking for in the beginning as well. If you go towards a kite like the Pivot because you prioritize jumping on TT, then you will still be fine. It is a bit more lively and explosive when jumping, but the kite is also being used by the Red Bull king of the air champion.
4) If you get more gear you will have more leverage to negotiate. As you progress in the sports you might find you are fine with other buying strategies. Many people buy used. I think in the beginning it will be a bit harder for you to judge the condition of the kite so I'd venture toward checking out shops.
5) Get the brand you like. Personally I think Core riders are like the BMW drivers of the kiting world. I am kidding.
6) It depends. Both good boards and good kites will keep you happy for a long time. I would rather buy a used TT than a used kite. If you get a used TT you can buy a super big board until you get your first rotations nailed down.
7) Kite size is dependent on locations and average winds there. No one should give advise on this until they know the location.
8) No.
9) Be careful of buying used kites. People will sell a lot of shit. Most are fine and most are honest, but there are a few traps here.
10) More important to pick the right airlines. Most here has "golf-bags" and they work, but you might not need it anymore.
11) Depends on where you are traveling to. I would just try to get good quality gear. Nothing more annoying then to sit and watch you fellow kiters rip while you have a kite to fix.
12) Probably. But again location dependent.
13) Real is great. Ebay be careful. If you are looking for packages give Real a call and they will hook you up.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
mbrimmer83 (Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:40 pm)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:00 pm

If you go used I would highly recommend www.Windance.com they check all their used gear and price them right..

leeuwen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Small air :D
Gear: Core XR5 7/ 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 pm

I would first look at how much you will realistically kite. If it is just gonna be holidays you might actually be better of renting. Especially if you will stay at a spot with rental equipment available and they have good packages for eg a full week of rental.

Rental gets you:
Lots of kite and board sizes and types
Ability to test lots of kite models
No hassle and costs for flying with the extra luggage
If you still crash the kite frequently it’s better with a rental ;)

Regardless of the renting I would still buy two things: get a brand new harness. Especially if you want to go waist harness it needs to fit perfectly. Go to shops and fit as many as possible!
Next would be wetsuit (if needed) also buy it new. Needs to fit perfect.

If you do want to buy everything these are my tips:
Board: second hand is fine. Make sure it is a good size & type though. Look at length/width and rocker. If you just want one board for 70-80kg person you should probably look around 140x42 without to much rocker. If you want multiple boards you can buy something bigger for low wind days and something smaller for more wind.

Kites: I would personally look for the best deal you can get for a new “last year” model. Make sure you buy something that will fit into your riding style regardless how much discount that kite has. Eg Buying a one strut kite or full on wakestyle type kite won’t be a good fit if you are a heavy guy that wants to do big air. Brands are very opinionated so I will ignore that except for one thing: consider re-sale value on your local market if you think you wil refresh your quiver often.

Bar: buy new. This thing has the safety mechanism and lines will wear out over time. Better get this new.

Good luck and have fun!
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:

dkazhdan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 pm

matth wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:00 pm
If you go used I would highly recommend www.Windance.com they check all their used gear and price them right..
I just clicked thru the website, can't make any judgments obviously but as an example, this one below definitely doesn't look priced right to me :)

http://www.windance.com/Slingshot-2017- ... aur/35359/
These users thanked the author dkazhdan for the post:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:48 pm

That must be a 15M kite not 5....

I just looked through the used section...9.5 Prodigy, and 12m Flite would be a great combo...assuming you live in moderate wind location and average weight.....both are great kites, IMO

http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Kites/

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm

185 lbs = 84 kg.

Look for used 12m and 9m Slingshot Rallys, plenty of really good condition (or even new!) kites around. Years 2016-2019 are all pretty much the same. Rallys are tough but you're going to knock the shit out of them, so you need tough kites and lines. Get a 20" Slingshot Sentinel bar with 25m lines to go with them. Board about 140/142 x 42/43, freeride board. Buy all this from dealers, there are too many ready to screw you on the private market.

All this will all fit fine into a wheeled twintip travel bag.

After a couple of years you'll want to move on.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 17 & 12, Solo 9 & 6.5
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Check the black friday deals on new kites/boards everyone will offer later this month.
Used OK too, just buy as new a year as possible because the frigin valves delaminate on virtually all kites eventually making for an annoying repair.

If the Caribbean is your trip destination for limited days, say a week, riding twintip, I would strongly recommend a 17m kite. 17 - 12 quiver.
For Hatteras youll want smaller kite some days for sure.
Board size well 140cm is a good all around size.

A kite that costs twice as much does not mean its twice as good. As a beginner buy a kite knowing that you will probably crash it and patch it real soon.

You will want to go ahead and start checking the wind forcasts constantly and obsessively.
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Size 12 and 9 is enough for kite.

When you get better you buy a 7.

I would buy allround kite. Also buy the last year kites. Many sites has 30 percent on new kites.

One board is enough. 137-42. Or 138-42. 140- Buy a free ride board. Most brands make good boards. Ask before you buy if its right size for you.
These users thanked the author kiteswede for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 pm) • mbrimmer83 (Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:40 pm)
Rating: 20%

Return to “Kitesurfing”