Ideal wing size for learning?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Ideal wing size for learning?

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 am

What's the consensus nowadays about the best wing size for learning to foil? Obviously, wing design & size has changed a lot in the last couple of years. I started on a 700cm wing & had never used anything larger ... up 'til today! Took out a 1000 cm wing & had no success at all - foil shooting up just like when I was starting to foil. Didn't spend much time at it as it was cold & wavy - probably need to move the foil further back in the track but didn't feel inclined to tinker around with it. However, it was a bit of a shock, since everything I had learned about weighting the board went out the window. :-?

Makes me wonder if the larger wings 1000cm + are easier or harder for someone just starting out?

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ideal wing size for learning?

Postby gl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:04 am

The first time I used my 1534 cm. I could not keep it in the water. I then went back in and moved the mast up into the wing and it was easy to use and very balanced. So I suspect you just needed to change the way it was set up assuming your can be changed.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Monarch, Duotome Jaime, Naish Hover 155/150/125/130, AXIS 102/82 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500

Duotone 3m/4m/5mWing, Gong 7m

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 am

Not sure there is a simple answer ..... I started on ~600cm Liquid Force (and thought is the best thing ever) but think I would have done better on something bigger (Naish XL 1500cm) .. but it is all conjecture now.
I now ride a big 2000cm surf wing and went back to ride a 1500 Zeeko Spitfire (it was like riding a slippery fish and super fun).

Provided the wing is not too small and is generally steady, then the wing will not be the limitation.

For the 1000cm wing you tried, move yourself forward a little.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:40 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 am
Not sure there is a simple answer ..... I started on ~600cm Liquid Force (and thought is the best thing ever) but think I would have done better on something bigger (Naish XL 1500cm) .. but it is all conjecture now.
I now ride a big 2000cm surf wing and went back to ride a 1500 Zeeko Spitfire (it was like riding a slippery fish and super fun).

Provided the wing is not too small and is generally steady, then the wing will not be the limitation.

Yeah ... but you may be forgetting how hard it was to prevent the foil from rising up abruptly when the you first started. I can't even imagine how a beginner would cope with the lift from a 1500cm wing. It was bad enough learning on a smaller wing. I have my muscle memory/weighting for the 700cm wing, but it seems like a completely different feeling to get up on the bigger wing. The hard part is allows water starting - once you're up you can start to feel the balance point. I'll have to give it another go in better conditions ...

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Monarch, Duotome Jaime, Naish Hover 155/150/125/130, AXIS 102/82 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire, Fanatic Aero 1500

Duotone 3m/4m/5mWing, Gong 7m

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 am

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:40 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 am

Yeah ... but you may be forgetting how hard it was to prevent the foil from rising up abruptly when the you first started. I can't even imagine how a beginner would cope with the lift from a 1500cm wing. It was bad enough learning on a smaller wing. I have my muscle memory/weighting for the 700cm wing, but it seems like a completely different feeling to get up on the bigger wing. The hard part is allows water starting - once you're up you can start to feel the balance point. I'll have to give it another go in better conditions ...
I don't disagree ..........

caduo
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha

Postby caduo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am

try to move the mast back till you find the balance

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:34 pm

wouldnt the wing size depend on the Size of the foil and wind speed? Which would matter more?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:13 pm

caduo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am
try to move the mast back till you find the balance
Good idea! However, in practice, where I kite I have onshore winds, waves, sandbars, OR side shore winds & deep water but a super-sketchy, complicated, solo launch & landing ... & now increasingly colder air & water, so getting in & out of the water to mess around with track positioning is a PIA. :-?

However, the real reason for the thread question is this: I am going for a 4 week trip to the Caribbean in January. I am hoping to teach my daughter to foil. I can really only take one of my 3 foils: a Zeeko alu with the 700cm Carver wing, an LP foil with a 700cm wing, or a new Gong foil with a 1000cm wing. I am at the point where I am reasonably competent with the Zeeko & can more or less gybe it. The LP foil is less stable but light & fast - I like it, but cannot (so far) gybe it. The Gong is what I tried a couple of days ago for the first time. It was like starting to foil all over again ... but I can see that once you are successfully up & filing on it, it is presumably going to be much easier to gybe on than the smaller wings.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Just move it back 3-4”
If that doesnt work move it another inch.
A big wing that self limits the speed at which you crash is the best thing to have for learning/teaching.
Smaller wings for learning only if you are into sadomasochism.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Small wing for first time out but larger wing is easier to get up and keep going on, especially when learning as you tend to go slow.

Don’t even mess around and move the big foil all the way back. That way you’ll at least get up on the board without rising up. Easy to move back once moving to get on foil

Get it setup right before you daughter takes it out.

Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”