Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Best wetsuits for kiting 2020

Postby nixmatters » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 am

norcom wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Love me some smooth skin suits! But I hate what happens to it when you look at it the wrong way. Doesn't seem like many companies are still making them.

Loved my NeilPryde 5k series suit in 2012, as well as the cheaper 3k versions in later years but they all tore apart. Here's what happens to a 2017 Combat. It's not a "true" smoothskin but it did add some wind protection. I guess it's nice the thing didn't just tear? :roll: My Ion Core Strike had a bit tougher smooth skin but the damn thing fell apart at every seam in less than in a few sessions. Like literally every seam! :lol: Going to try the Recon this season, no smooth skin but it's thick and plush. Thickness doesn't always help with windchill though.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 2.16.54 PM.png
That's the Armor skin we're mentioning above. It's not a smooth skin (single lined neoprene). And the peeling coating is one of the issues they've tried to solve with the updated material in the current collection. Be aware that this coating doesnt stand some sunscreens, although you'd rarely use such with a 5mm suit :). The Recon has true smooth skin (Yamamoto #40) chest and back panels.
As for double lined suits windchill, the key factors are 1. how thick the outer lining is (water absorption/evaporation) and 2. how 'quick dry''. The higher the 'quick dry' evaporation rate, the stronger the windchill. WR finish works of course, but not for long.
jonysan wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 pm
check out NINEPLUS single lined smooth skin suits, incredibly warm with very little wind chill, and from experience they last for many seasons, with( a little care)
Nice suits, obviously made with some expensive hig quality materials. Way too much marketing BS and some seriuously overstated claims. But this shouldn't surprise anyone. Indeed, if you take good care it's worh the tag price.

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Re: Best wetsuits for kiting 2020

Postby vol » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:18 am

I had many wetsuits in my 35 years windsurfing and kitesurfing experience and I can say the best quality and price are deeply wetsuits from Portugal www.deeply.com
Highly recommended 👍

Return to “Kitesurfing”