Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best wetsuits for kiting 2020

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Re: Best wetsuits for kiting 2020

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:29 am

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:39 am
A new thing in surf wetsuits is sewing in some Eva foam.. like small floaties. interesting idea. Could become a thing..
I want one that will give me bigger pecs, biceps, etc. :lol:

Seriously, I am looking to replace my old Quiksilver 3/2 with a 4/3 before it gets too cold. I loved my Quiksilver as it lasted over 10 years. I ordered online twice to replace it and had to send both back as they did not fit right (felt like someone was strangling me around my neck and shoulders). Went to a local shop in September, but they did not have a 4/3. Anyone else have this problem ordering online? I'm 6'2" and 206 lbs.
Unfortunately they are not like the 6 pack and pectorial enhancing impact vest. JOB wears one.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:13 pm

I have a 1 year old NP Eclipse 5/3 semi dry for sale on FleaBay for $175. Size Medium Tall.
Only 5ish sessions.

I have the same suit in Medium.
(I've acknowledged my shortness....)
I've raved about these suits for a while. Good down to ice levels. Full windskin can't be beat for warmth.

Inquire within! 🤣

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: custom made
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nixmatters » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
A new thing in surf wetsuits is sewing in some Eva foam.. like small floaties. interesting idea. Could become a thing..
A thing from the past :D
Attachments
IMG_20191113_231418.jpg

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 am

Have you tried any of their Armor skin suits? I have the top it work great but curious how it is on a suit?
POACHER wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:13 pm
I have a 1 year old NP Eclipse 5/3 semi dry for sale on FleaBay for $175. Size Medium Tall.
Only 5ish sessions.

I have the same suit in Medium.
(I've acknowledged my shortness....)
I've raved about these suits for a while. Good down to ice levels. Full windskin can't be beat for warmth.

Inquire within! 🤣

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:27 am

nixmatters wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
A thing from the past :D
cool didnt knwo npx made one - i know waterski and wakeboard companies did them in the 80.. JOBs one has far less to get in teh way - ioe the fake abs and pecs.

nixmatters
Frequent Poster

Postby nixmatters » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 pm

gozokiteboarding wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 am
Have you tried any of their Armor skin suits? I have the top it work great but curious how it is on a suit?
The Armor skin neoprene is far less stretchy than an Armor skin top over a double lined neoprene. That's because when you move, the separate armor skin material slightly slides allowing to get the max stretch of both materials. When laminated to the neoprene foam the stretch drops significantly.

And the Armor skin top makes a 4/3 as warm as or even warmer than a 5/4. Did some testing in 8-9°C water and -2°C air. I was freezing with the wetsuit still dry without the Armor top and sweating after I put it on, after I did some swim to 'warm up'. 18-20knots wind.

Plus you can wear it separately as a windchill rash in cooler and windier days.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
gozokiteboarding (Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:15 pm)
Rating: 10%

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Yes, thats what I am currently doing with my Mission suit, it works very well but was considering upgrading. Are you using the Armor skin suit G1 or G2, not sure what the difference is but I am told G2 is Stretchier by the guys at the kite shop.
nixmatters wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 pm
gozokiteboarding wrote:
The Armor skin neoprene is far less stretchy than an Armor skin top over a double lined neoprene. That's because when you move, the separate armor skin material slightly slides allowing to get the max stretch of both materials. When laminated to the neoprene foam the stretch drops significantly.

And the Armor skin top makes a 4/3 as warm as or even warmer than a 5/4. Did some testing in 8-9°C water and -2°C air. I was freezing with the wetsuit still dry without the Armor top and sweating after I put it on, after I did some swim to 'warm up'. 18-20knots wind.

nixmatters
Frequent Poster

Postby nixmatters » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:45 pm

gozokiteboarding wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:18 pm
Yes, thats what I am currently doing with my Mission suit, it works very well but was considering upgrading. Are you using the Armor skin suit G1 or G2, not sure what the difference is but I am told G2 is Stretchier by the guys at the kite shop.
nixmatters wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 pm
gozokiteboarding wrote:

Not sure what G1 and G2 is. What I heard is that the Armor skin coating has been recently changed to solve the quality issues they had with cracking and micro holes. As for the Armor skin stretch (in a wetsuit), as it's 'sandwitched' between the armor skin coating on the outside and the neoprene foam on the inside, the elastic behaviour of the material changes a lot. That's why an Armor skin Top on top of the wetsuit is way stretchier. Downside - 2 layers of fabric get wet and a bit heavier.
The RC Flashbomb Heatseaker uses a similar tech in the arms, called Thermo Shield. But they have obviously realized that it's no good for areas where high stretch is needed. The shoulders/back and chest are 'Liquid Mesh' super stretchy but also delicate smooth skin.
Attachments
Rip-Curl-Flash-Bomb-Heat-Seeker-Thermo-Sheild-1024x684.jpg
Rip-Curl-Flash-Bomb-Heat-Seeker-Arm.jpg

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Love me some smooth skin suits! But I hate what happens to it when you look at it the wrong way. Doesn't seem like many companies are still making them.

Loved my NeilPryde 5k series suit in 2012, as well as the cheaper 3k versions in later years but they all tore apart. Here's what happens to a 2017 Combat. It's not a "true" smoothskin but it did add some wind protection. I guess it's nice the thing didn't just tear? :roll: My Ion Core Strike had a bit tougher smooth skin but the damn thing fell apart at every seam in less than in a few sessions. Like literally every seam! :lol: Going to try the Recon this season, no smooth skin but it's thick and plush. Thickness doesn't always help with windchill though.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 2.16.54 PM.png

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth
Gear: Naish Pivots, F-One Mito 5.8,

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 pm

check out NINEPLUS single lined smooth skin suits, incredibly warm with very little wind chill, and from experience they last for many seasons, with( a little care)

Return to “Kitesurfing”