Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

From which jumping height the heliloop is mandatory?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: From which jumping height the heliloop is mandatory?

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:56 am

seen plenty of huge jumps without, maybe it's a bow kite thing

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm

There is no requirement for a heli-loop. It's just a way to control the kite to make sure it stays above you. Active flying will do the same thing, but more difficult to land reliably as HPR said.

It also looks awesome when you get that little lift 1-2m from the water for super smooth landings.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am

For me it also depends on where your kite is when you are decending. You want to generate that lift just before you land, to do this you want the kite to go one more time overhead. So if it is behind you direct it to the front and land "normal". Is the kite in front you redirect behind and make a heliloop! I know this is not a must but for me it def makes the landings better. In addition you can also use your heli loop to slow down your forward momentum (like parachute on a F-16)

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:45 pm

V nice thread, I agree with the above comments

I would say that up to 12m (as indicated by WOO - so that's 7m in the real world :wink: ), there's no need to heliloop, but it is worthwhile practicing them, as when done well, the landings are really nice and controlled.... but for the "oh Sh1t" jumps, when really powered, you load up, hit a ramp, go up and up, then go up again, then start checking out the logo's on the top of other kites, its definitely mandatory, as there is no way I can land these by just moving the canopy around and re-directing forward.

I had a brief chat in Tarifa with Maarten Haeger regarding heliloops and admittedly his smallest jump is larger than my max, but he did say he heliloops on almost every jump. So I think so long as you go up, feel the kite oversheet/go upwind, I now try to heliloop as practice, albeit on lower jumps I tend to do a half heliloop and then re-direct (or possibly dont hang on long enough or bottle out of a full heliloop!!).

Kash
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Canos del Meca
Style: Hooked in tricks, looping, bigairs
Gear: Core GTS4 10m/15m.
Core XR6 8m/10m
Core Section 3 8m
Carved Imperator 6

Postby Kash » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Heliloops are awesome when you get them work for you. I can give a very valuable tip for the starters that helped me a lot:

When you are learning first heliloops remember:

1. After completing your trip to the zenith, you start to go down. Before you initiate your heliloop make sure that your bar is sheeted in to the max as this will choke your kite a bit, so it will not yank you at all.
2. Initiate a very aggresive downloop (reverse side comparing to your front leg).

As you get more comfortable with it try to give it less aggressive turns, it will increase radius and the power of the loop for even more softer landing because of the bigger heliloop radius.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:34 pm

I land with heliloops most of the time, but I feel I really need them a lot at 12+ jumps in gusty winds. Not really in the mood to check it the landings still work without downloop with the kite so much behind me...

I also think it's dependant of things like rider weight, board size/position during jump, line length, kite type, wind/water conditions, technique/timing/sheeting etc, that will affect how much of a pendulum effect you're gonna get. So it's different for everyone.

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I love to do them on basicly every jump because my landing get so much smoother. Average jumpheigh 7-11m i guess

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 am

Blackened wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm
There is no requirement for a heli-loop. It's just a way to control the kite to make sure it stays above you. Active flying will do the same thing, but more difficult to land reliably as HPR said.

It also looks awesome when you get that little lift 1-2m from the water for super smooth landings.
:thumb: You've pretty much nailed it. The main "requirement" has nothing to do with "how high" you jump, but rather - what's your position in relation to your kite - in relation to the wind? Basically - whenever you're over-shooting your kite - throw a loop. A very nice feeling to it when done right.

Return to “Kitesurfing”