Leyo
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Insurance on rental gear worth it?

Postby Leyo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi! I'm doing my first trip to Tarifa and will stay there for 2 weeks. I've already booked rental gear (full kit) from ion club over there. They also have an insurance for 90 Euros that they recommend. What do you guys think? Should I get that? I've kited for 2 years without breaking anything yet, so my first thought is that it's not necessary. :roll: Thankful for any input :D

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Insurance on rental gear worth it?

Postby slowboat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Leyo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:10 pm
Hi! I'm doing my first trip to Tarifa and will stay there for 2 weeks. I've already booked rental gear (full kit) from ion club over there. They also have an insurance for 90 Euros that they recommend. What do you guys think? Should I get that? I've kited for 2 years without breaking anything yet, so my first thought is that it's not necessary. :roll: Thankful for any input :D
Basic personal finance principle: Only insure against very significant (life changing) loss or liability.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, SST 5m, Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts with 590/330 695/425 683s/450 wingsets, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $480, Slingshot RPM 11m 2018 $600, Core XR4 10m $900, Core XR4 13.5m $980, Core XR4 17m $1075, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44cm like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, 2019 Slingshot Guardian 17" brand new $260, 2018 Slingshot Guardian 20" bar $190

Postby grigorib » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Boards get lost, lines get broke, kites ripped. Renting is quite weird in my opinion but rental and school gear gets abused like hookers, so protection would make sense.

Being charged full retail price for lost board or ripped kite because you beat sh!t out of it practicing backroll transitions would be significant loss

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 am

Tarifa is a rough place with crowded launches and potentially gusty winds. Also, taking into account the "friendliness" of locals at any highly trafficked tourist area, and I would definitely agree that insurance on the gear could be a good idea.

But read what it DOES NOT cover. Sometimes thinking you are insured can get you into more trouble than not having it if it does not cover what you are led to believe it does.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:47 am

with 2 weeks..
why not simply buy used there.. and then sell it (there)

odds are you'll be out less $$... even if you practically have to give it away when leaving

Havre
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:56 am

That kind of insurance will never make financial sense. I have kitet for years and never lost or broken any equipment.

That said I did lose my board in Tarifa for then to find it on the beach (someone picked it up for me - I don't know who). It can be a bit of $^÷#€$&^ losing your board there. It won't usually be carried back to the beach. And with gusty winds and at times quite significant chop it can become a bit of a mess.

All in all it depends mostly on your personality. Will you worry about the equipment without insurance? If so 90 euro is probably worth it over 2 weeks. If you know you won't think of that out on the water - and you can financially handle any issues - then I say don't bother.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight Ambassador

Postby Barryg101 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:23 am

Vdws are doing insurance for 45€ for the year?

Have a look into it there's a topic already about this.

I have it but forutbatlet never had to use it

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:31 am

The purpose of insurance is not to come out ahead dollar wise. It is to protect against life changing losses. You actually WANT to lose money on insurance. Meaning, you have insurance on your car (for liability mostly), house or life but don't want to claim house, car or life insurance...so you pay the premiums but are happy to not use the insurance. It is a way of spreading catastrophic risk among many people.

If you damage rental equipment (or lose your phone for example), that is just the cost of kiting and you lose the money. Insuring these "little" things to try and come out ahead does not make any sense as the odds are the insurance company will come out ahead...they have to make a profit to exist.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:21 pm

I second this, for most European citizens. At 39 euros this is good value for TP ins and rental cover.

Barryg101 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:23 am
Vdws are doing insurance for 45€ for the year?

Have a look into it there's a topic already about this.

I have it but forutbatlet never had to use it

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:37 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:31 am
The purpose of insurance is not to come out ahead dollar wise. It is to protect against life changing losses. You actually WANT to lose money on insurance. Meaning, you have insurance on your car (for liability mostly), house or life but don't want to claim house, car or life insurance...so you pay the premiums but are happy to not use the insurance. It is a way of spreading catastrophic risk among many people.

If you damage rental equipment (or lose your phone for example), that is just the cost of kiting and you lose the money. Insuring these "little" things to try and come out ahead does not make any sense as the odds are the insurance company will come out ahead...they have to make a profit to exist.
I agree with this approach.

The other aspect of insurance that most people fail to recognize is that the "cost" of insurance is more than just the premium. The "cost" includes both the premium AND your time, energy and expense required to make the insurance company honor its contract in the event of a loss. Often, it's more cost effective simply to pay for a loss out of pocket than to haggle and battle with an insurance company to settle a claim.

Return to “Kitesurfing”