Standalone ChickenLoop QuickRelease?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Standalone ChickenLoop QuickRelease?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 am

Hi, a question to all of you.

Do you know of any CL with Quick Release that one can tie a depower rope into?

I got so many bars, and when the depower is worn it can usually be replaced yes.
But I prefer to use a simple light strong depower on the classic clamcleats 826 (4-6 mm) and 828 (3-4 mm), as they can be made and changed on the spot in a few minutes, besides being the best solution as light and strong and easy IMO.

Anyways, who can tell me if anyone can deliver a chickenloop with a QR where you can easily tie the depower rope say 4 or 5 or 6 mm into the QR, maybe simply a locking knot inside?

Took a picture to illustrate, just an old CL with old QR found in the attic, but it shows the task, namely to get either a 4 or a 5 or a 6 mm to be tied into it.

Actually 4 mm is the most interesting for me, as a 4 mm Dyneema line got a breaking strength over 2000 kg so no problems and a lot easier to handle.

Why not use a fixed wichard or similar?
No, I dont like these, use them on some bars, but the CL with a locking finger is so much faster to connect to when you self launch.
And you dont risk accidentally releasing, like too easy on wichard like shackles.
CL.jpg
Many sell the CL with QR as spareparts, but almost impossible to see how they are "inside" - whether you can tie a 4 mm (or 5 or 6 mm) rope into it.

Picture shows the old type of QR, but of course it is push away QR'ses today.

The safetly line just runs either inside the QR and through the bar, or outside the QR and through the bar - not shown in the picture, as just for illustrating the task, which standalone CL with QR can work?

Looked at the GONG one, anyone who can tell if usable or not?

As small a loop as possible is of course desired for me, as not for unhooked.

Hope someone can help me on this one, and probably many others too :D

:o Peter

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Standalone ChickenLoop QuickRelease?

Postby iriejohn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 am

Make your own, easy enough.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:46 am

Wooooo,

Peter Frank, with using a clam cleat you are now officially against kiting community on this forum ;) Welcome to club :) Please reveal a knot u using on that one, I'm struggling with knots btw.

Any CL with wide enough center hole for the safety line will do. The same safety, if u need it, run outside the QR and that's it. With wide enough hole it still might go through QR.

I love the simplicity of old FS CL from here viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2404821&start=10
Did shorten the loop to a really small one recently, 30mins job.

D.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 am

The Gong one can be used. You just wrap the line around the swivel, and assemble the body around it. So you need a double depowerline, or a single one with a loop at the end.

The swivel needs soms force to turn though... not a smooth system.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks Faxie and downunder.

I have used these cleat for years, but not directly to a CL.
Yes, the safety can always run outside so not a problem downunder.

When you write "Any CL with wide enough center hole for the safety line will do." - this is the VERY reason I write this thread, as which has a wide center hole???

Impossible to see the details, you actually have to "feel" it yourself, to know how well a 4 or 5 or even 6 mm line can be mounted.
Some like my ancient Takoon Bars dont have an easy way to do this, so not possible on these.

So would like to hear (or even see a pic) from some who knows of a "short" (CL+ QR total) CL+QR where you can tie the depower line.
Sounds like the GONG is an option, but impossible to see on pictures how it works and how much space and so on :roll:

PS: Doesnt matter if it swivels or not, not important for me.
What IS important is the ability to stay okay in the spreader bar hook when you ride toeside, as many small loops can twist and fall out.

Thanks again, hope to see more suggestions, as one can not see "many" eyes on, because almost no activity at this time of the year, except for a few of us.

8) Peter

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 am

Here:
255560E6-1FA6-445E-B244-DABD04D04798.jpeg
4mm through centre hole used only for the leash.

No safety.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Peter,

I have also been looking for the same thing. The ozone push away looks like a possibility, a lot cheaper than the click in version. Different from the normal rotor head design, the loop assembly rotates around the chassis and it is single line. Unfortunately have not been able to get a hands on look yet but the YouTube vid "Ozone Catalyst 2014 review including new chicken loop" makes it look like a possibility. Be interested if anybody has more detail. Looks like the centre line might be led through to the bottom of the chassis and kept in place with a stopper knot?

Regards Herman

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:34 pm

As a side note I acquired a cheap Cabrinha chicken loop and drilled through the side of the rotor head to take 4mm line. Looks and spins ok but I have yet to proof test it. I will put a photo up if you are interested. Have some concern about flag out line running freely in the single central hole at the top of the rotor head.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm
Peter,

I have also been looking for the same thing. The ozone push away looks like a possibility, a lot cheaper than the click in version. Different from the normal rotor head design, the loop assembly rotates around the chassis and it is single line. ....... ....... Looks like the centre line might be led through to the bottom of the chassis and kept in place with a stopper knot?

Regards Herman
Correct. The only loop I know of that works this way. Just make sure the knot can't slip off by tying two knots or melting the loose end to a thicker blob.

Other nice feature of ozone loops is the big 8mm hole for the flagout line. Almost impossible to snag something inside like most other manufacturers that use tiny 3-4mm holes where flagging out or resetting uses a substantial amount of force to pull the knot between the flagout and flying line through.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”