Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Woo jump record: 33.9m

Forum for kitesurfers
sends
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: sandy hook, harvey cedars new jersey.
Favorite Beaches: tarifa,the Outer Banks miami beach.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8, 9, 11 and 12m. 2023 North Orbits. 14M. Switch Element 7.
133cm Lieuwe Shotgun& 137 Core fusion.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New Woo jump record: 33.9m

Postby sends » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Simple, I have a drone with poly accurate altitude on it, if someone lends me a woo 3 just attach it to the drone and see if the altitude is similar.
These users thanked the author sends for the post (total 2):
Toby (Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:07 pm) • a99 (Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:21 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:27 pm

sends wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Simple, I have a drone with poly accurate altitude on it, if someone lends me a woo 3 just attach it to the drone and see if the altitude is similar.
not going to work.. sorry..
1) unless it's a military drone, the altimeter (pressure or GPS) is not going to be very precise.. we are talking meters if not more.
2) lifting woo on a drone is not going trigger a jump detection
3) accelerators (unless we talk military grade in ICBMs) are not designed to measure long trips (due to integration drift). woo is ok to measure 5-10 second jumps but using it to measure distance over a minute trip is going to produce horrendous errors

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:39 pm

I honestly think the actual number you get from the woo is meaningless. 20, 30, 35, doesn't matter. But the process of riders going after that number and how ridiculous the jumps are, that's what is amazing. It's the feeling of jumping higher each session. You know how greyhounds when they race, there's this mechanical rabbit that is going ahead of them on the track that helps the dogs run faster. That's what the woo is like. It's wonderful even if the numbers aren't exact
These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 pm) • Kees (Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:08 am) • Pemba (Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:16 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

lucas33
Rare Poster
Style: KiteWave | Hooked Freestyle | Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby lucas33 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:28 pm

For me, it’s really suspicious if you have to make video to explain what you did.

You can achieve that in few ways:
Using drone, using a giant Slingshot....

The dude knows how to jump, he is good at it, but it looks like self promoting and getting on spotlights rather than beating any record.

I think if you claim it, you have to prove it! Get right camera setup in a windy day, get witnesses and more than one sensor, redundancy is important to validate if you are measuring something. Than, claim it.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:49 pm

There are some suspicious data points that lead my data nerd friends who know sensors to say these jumps aren’t real. A problem that plagued sensors like woo and xenser was a small jump immediately before the big one, with an airtime that connected the two. It points to what those nerds call a rogue jump. It was probably a descent height jump, but the accelerometer and gyro data sent the jump algo into a high drift mode so the second jump was recorded as being massive. Look at the data, it’s an outlier. And the big jump immediately follows a small one with intersection hang times.
DAB556F0-831F-4B61-9FCF-9B316A3A354B.jpeg
Rogue jump
I bet the rider know this. Hard to tell since he probably had a big one, but when they go through the video, nothing matches up on the time stamp that looks like the jump woo recorded.

Even without the rogue fingerprint of the small jump immediately preceding the big one, big jumps have the highest amount of error due to sensor drift. These jump products are at their worst when we want them to be at their best. :-(

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:55 pm

lucas33 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:28 pm
For me, it’s really suspicious if you have to make video to explain what you did.

You can achieve that in few ways:
Using drone, using a giant Slingshot....

The dude knows how to jump, he is good at it, but it looks like self promoting and getting on spotlights rather than beating any record.

I think if you claim it, you have to prove it! Get right camera setup in a windy day, get witnesses and more than one sensor, redundancy is important to validate if you are measuring something. Than, claim it.
Yes. Easy to fake a big jump, but I don’t think he did that. The data says he was out riding (and ripping it up!) but most likely had a rogue jump due to the jump algo going awry.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:45 pm

I really don’t understand the concept of rogue jump as you describe it. The small jumps are just him passing through the waves. The claim that woo somehow merges them is a theory at best. The guy had a 28m 9 second jump on video. We can argue wether or not it’s 28m but counting seconds is pretty simple, imho. So are you saying that there is no way in hell he could not have done 10s hangtime?

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:04 pm

deniska wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:45 pm
I really don’t understand the concept of rogue jump as you describe it. The small jumps are just him passing through the waves. The claim that woo somehow merges them is a theory at best. The guy had a 28m 9 second jump on video. We can argue wether or not it’s 28m but counting seconds is pretty simple, imho. So are you saying that there is no way in hell he could not have done 10s hangtime?
I’m saying that the “fingerprint” of a small jump immediately preceding a large jump where the hangtime of the first leads into the beginning of the second (big) jump is a known rogue jump identifier. This is a common problem in the type of algo used in jump height calculations depending on a weighting of the input variables. Rogues have been seen in woo, xenser and PIQ as they each use a variation of the same algo theory for jump height calculations.

Whenever a big jump is recorded, my nerd friends say the first thing they look for are rogue fingerprints. And these jumps all have rogue fingerprints on them. Video would settle the issue, but my money is on a rogue jump.

We’ve all seen the data as various versions of woo firmware produced differences in jump height measurement. We’ve also seen rogue jumps in these products as well. Does this guy boost big? Hells yes! But was this an actual height? Probably not. Doesn’t change the fact that this guy rips it big, but the data says the jump probably wasn’t real. :-(

And on top of the rogues, there’s the drift issue. The longer the airtime, the more the drift. (And the harder the landing can cause the jump height to be recorded even higher. Again, just a known problem with the algo)

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Judging by the video posted I believe he jumped 33m. Clearly a very good big air rider, perfect kickers, floaty kite and big winds, others have got >28m recently so it's for sure possible.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:19 pm

If most/all of the big jump craziness is being measured the same basic way with the same algorithms and toy sensors, if you post a big number, it’s yours and you get to claim it. No video necessary, everyone is using the same flawed tools.
Those of you that don’t like it, build a better one. Or stop looking at things that don’t work well and claim they don’t work well over and over and over and over and over and

If you don’t like the rules, don’t play the damn game but don’t stop others from enjoying it. :baby:
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:11 am) • Pemba (Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:19 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”