Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Every Major Brand Announcing an Aluula Kite in 2020!

Forum for kitesurfers
mar menor
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: santa pola ,la llana,los narejos
Gear: PLKB Peter Lynn Synergies , PL Nova,Moses T38 and 633,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Ozone Alpha
Brand Affiliation: PLKB,moses,shinn ,Ozone

Re: Every Major Brand Announcing an Aluula Kite in 2020!

Postby mar menor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 am
just what kiteboarding needs right now - even more expensive kites, #allthegearandnoidea #buyyourwooheight - taking it to the final level - level 3 - self implosion - how to now completely kill kiteboarding DEAD 123! epic work
You cannot stop innovation
More to the point why would you want to? Innovation did not kill windsurfing- kitesurfing did that.
These users thanked the author mar menor for the post (total 2):
POACHER (Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 pm) • SENDIT! (Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 pm)
Rating: 20%

Herman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Any old ex windsurfer out there should check out YouTube for " Point Break - Windsurf Edition", I found it funny!

Especially if you remember blubbing out to big waves in light cross off waiting to be driven back so you had enough power from the apparent wind to run over the top to get out for a down the line front side ride!
Last edited by Herman on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Ocean Rodeo worked with the company who makes Aluula to develop it I suspect they will probably keep it to themselves exclusively at least for a little while that's why you don't see everyone announcing new products with it. If it's really that good it will spark innovation and other companies will develop something equivalent. Progress is not a bad thing. There are still people using 10 years old kites Aluula doesn't mean all old kites will be worthless right away.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:02 pm

mar menor wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
just what kiteboarding needs right now - even more expensive kites, #allthegearandnoidea #buyyourwooheight - taking it to the final level - level 3 - self implosion - how to now completely kill kiteboarding DEAD 123! epic work
More to the point why would you want to? Innovation did not kill windsurfing- kitesurfing did that.

I don't think WS is dead....seems like all the big companies are still around and offering extensive board and sail options..... We still have a lot of WS here in Boston..

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:03 pm

@flysurfing

Wow man, how's that cool aid ?

With a bit of luck and minimal care kites last for ages and perform just as well in year 8 as they do in year 2. I bet most of em live their best life with their second owner.

Kites are still improving, but not in the increments they used to. The kite market is a panacea for the educated thrifty buyer as much as it is for the millionaire.

Longwhitecloud speaks with the assumption we are all buying brand new stuff all the time. I get his points..... he makes them often enough! New shit is crazy expensive. But I'm not embarrassed to say that I don't really shop for new cars either. I certainly don't think the teen masses are held back by price. As a teen, I bought used windsurfing stuff, like every other non rich windsurfer under the age of 30. Windsurfing is still around and can still be done on the cheap. Windsurfing and kitesurfing gear are luxury items. Since when do luxury items EVER get produced without a max profit as the goal. Like most other luxury items, with a little research, persistence and patience you can find them at a huge discount.

LWC, you can harp on and on about it, but your never going to change a thing and eventually just alienate yourself and "discount" any of your other opinions.
IMG_4508.jpg
Those three kites are like new condition...... Picked em up for $200 US a piece as advertised on Ikitesurf. Not so much as a pinhole on em.

The idea that you NEED to spend a premium to fully enjoy the sport is such bullshit.

As to Allula, I'm excited about it. Will I buy a new one.... not very likely, but improvement is improvement and it's always welcome despite the premium. You can buy used race kites that were thousands of dollars new for pennies on the dollar once something faster comes out. I will bide my time... generally don't buy the first gen of any new model.... In my experience its usually generation 3 that nails it. Then I'll do like I always do and wait for the right deal. If it's all its cracked up to be, I'll eventually get one.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Has thanked: 0

Postby flysurfing » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Well I wouldn’t call kite crazy expensive. Those are made by small companies that are seldom making a profit appart from 2/3 big brands.

Taking in account the small production / scale of kite production this is actually fairly reasonably price.

Compare it with mass market product like a Rolex or any good watch that cost easily 10k euro and with 60% + profit margin for the brand.

For a kite my best bet is the factory has a razor thin margin same for the brand. Reseller make also very little. So when you factor the dilution in the manufacturing / distribution retail process you can definitely not say that kite brand are stealing us. I’m not even counting marketing / branding expenses ...

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:03 pm
@flysurfing

Wow man, how's that cool aid ?

With a bit of luck and minimal care kites last for ages and perform just as well in year 8 as they do in year 2. I bet most of em live their best life with their second owner.

Kites are still improving, but not in the increments they used to. The kite market is a panacea for the educated thrifty buyer as much as it is for the millionaire.

Longwhitecloud speaks with the assumption we are all buying brand new stuff all the time. I get his points..... he makes them often enough! New shit is crazy expensive. But I'm not embarrassed to say that I don't really shop for new cars either. I certainly don't think the teen masses are held back by price. As a teen, I bought used windsurfing stuff, like every other non rich windsurfer under the age of 30. Windsurfing is still around and can still be done on the cheap. Windsurfing and kitesurfing gear are luxury items. Since when do luxury items EVER get produced without a max profit as the goal. Like most other luxury items, with a little research, persistence and patience you can find them at a huge discount.

LWC, you can harp on and on about it, but your never going to change a thing and eventually just alienate yourself and "discount" any of your other opinions.

IMG_4508.jpg

Those three kites are like new condition...... Picked em up for $200 US a piece as advertised on Ikitesurf. Not so much as a pinhole on em.

The idea that you NEED to spend a premium to fully enjoy the sport is such bullshit.

As to Allula, I'm excited about it. Will I buy a new one.... not very likely, but improvement is improvement and it's always welcome despite the premium. You can buy used race kites that were thousands of dollars new for pennies on the dollar once something faster comes out. I will bide my time... generally don't buy the first gen of any new model.... In my experience its usually generation 3 that nails it. Then I'll do like I always do and wait for the right deal. If it's all its cracked up to be, I'll eventually get one.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Has thanked: 0

Postby flysurfing » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:40 pm

mar menor wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:
This... innovation is really happening every year. If you have been riding for example the naish pivot you can feel the change year after year this is not black magic but real improvements.

Probably only kite not improving are the C kites but still there from time to time materials are improved and it makes a difference even with the same design.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:27 pm

I see both sides. yes, small market, small production runs, labor, materials, distribution. I bet margins are quite thin.

LWC would point out that kites used to come with bars. Now you can spend upward of $700 on a bar.

I do see LWC's point. I'm just pointing out that in the real world, if your willing to forgo unboxing a new kite from the shop, you can keep yourself in pretty nice gear at reasonable cost, and if you wanna see it as a challenge, it's not that expensive a sport at all.

My point to you was the first bit. Turning over kites year in year out is kinda, well, laughable. That segmented wingtips, and future C, and rocket struts, and anti stiction, and radical reaction tips, and union strut, or split strut, or fusion strut or quad tex, or trinity tex, or all the other garbage terms that are used to sell you a new kite every year is simply fluff.

I get that some people live in Cumbuco and leave their kites on the beach, but I don't, and would rather keep a good kite than replace is simply because of 3% performance loss. Rather add something different to the quiver.

I'm glad you do it though. When the price is right, I buy your stuff.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Well regardless of the opinions here, I think an Aluula Pivot would be fricken awesome....

This will really ruffle some feathers: I don't think kiteboarding is expensive.
(gasp)

Seriously. I've said it before on here, compared to any power sport it's very inexpensive. If you are super frugal, just buy last year kites/bars/boards. I think 2-3 year kite lifespan is easily attainable with minimal care. Boards last forever, harnesses last a long time and are cheap. Learn how to splice lines and keep your bars fresh for peanuts.

The expensive part is the travel.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm

flysurfing wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:40 pm
mar menor wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:
This... innovation is really happening every year. If you have been riding for example the naish pivot you can feel the change year after year this is not black magic but real improvements.

Probably only kite not improving are the C kites but still there from time to time materials are improved and it makes a difference even with the same design.
Ha ha

You are dreaming that better or new gear makes anyone better kiter.

Sorry. That is just not happening or I would see better and better kiters every year.

Unfortunately, what I see is better and better moving the lawn. Particularly with foils.

So, with more expensive gear, which is now ultra expensive for anyone to buy except people with disposable income, we are seeing a huge decline in new comers recently. However, we are seeing steady growing of WS as well. By middle age cashed up males.

Not youngsters.

Unless one is in top 1% of riders, the gear for last 5 years is irrelevant.

Put is this way, driving a Ferrari does not make u F1 driver no matter what.

Return to “Kitesurfing”