Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any OR Crave reviews yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any OR Crave reviews yet?

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:40 pm

Nice video ! I feel quite close to his riding style, so his opinion on crave vs his 2 reference ( flite and above all the roam) , would be very interesting if can ask him. In particular if roam and crave have the same low end and relaunch on a foil.

To come back to my question: agree with you, first is to try avoid it. In my case it does not happen in a regular "fall" even in lowest wind. It is often the bad consequence of trying to relaunch it by an not-academic-unstable-custom technics (from leading edge down at the start) in a too low wind for a regular start or reverse start like foilkites. Say in 7 knots to fix ideas.

Indeed i found a way to relaunch in lower wind, by pulling 2 metres on both back lines . Kite start to turn a bit around his leading edge , then if you control both rear lines with accuracy, up to 90 degree rotation , "dressed-up" on its lower wing, touching the water (only), verticaly, like for an assisted launch on the beach, but here, kite is still in plain downwind window (and not side window ). A this stage , if you release slowly the rear line tension , still constantly adjusting both to balance and keep the kite exactly 90 degre , kite will slide slowly on one side of the wind window, flushing slowly its water caught between the cloth and the LE, however it is extremely unstable in this configuration (backstall like for heli turns on a foilkite) and need very very fine and constant-active control to keep pure vertical on its wing, unstable like a mosquito...
And if you fail in your driving skills along this long travel to the side of the window , the kite can turn a little too much, more than 90 degree , trailing edge a little lower than LE, and from that point it is dead even if you pull hard on the front lines (because front line have 2 meter slack, so kite drawn by the time the front lines tension). : kite will desperately turning more and more more on the water and suck the trailing edge in the water.... :-(.

Small hopes to restart then, bit still .... The two technics i found from that point (trailig edge down,) worth trying rather than swim, is :

- either pulling 5 or 6 meters of one rear line, kite catches the wind by its intrados, then turns 90 degree toward transverse direction (always even in 6 knots), and if you release at the good moment your rear line , it (sometimes, say 1 on 4) flips thanks to the wind catch
by its upwind intrados and comes back with LE down. Then you can retry above technics ... Lol... Several times ... Lol.

- or you disconnect from the bar, leave the bar in deep water, swim to the kite and move it manually to get LE down again, and swim back to the bar.

... Sport in any case ;-).

I wonder if the crave or flite is a better relauncher with this little "step/recess" in the sides on the LE. Any comparative experience ?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:04 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:40 pm
Nice video ! I feel quite close to his riding style, so his opinion on crave vs his 2 reference ( flite and above all the roam) , would be very interesting if can ask him. In particular if roam and crave have the same low end and relaunch on a foil.

I wonder if the crave or flite is a better relauncher with this little "step/recess" in the sides on the LE. Any comparative experience ?
He doesn't have a CraveHL, he only rode my 8M for 5 minutes in really shitty wind conditions so he won't have any meaningful comparison regarding low end or relaunch.
Same for me: 8M is my biggest CraveHL kite, not something I would ride in sub 12 knot conditions.
Relaunch was extremely easy in > 12knots conditions (much better then some other kites I used like Bandit S) but cannot compare apples to apples with the my 10M Aluula Roam.

My current plan is to order the Aluula Crave version when it comes out. Will see if I can arrange a back-to-back comparison video with the Roam when I get my hands on one.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:31 am

Low wind relaunch is a massive lottery. Not least because everyone measures the wind speed differently.

Locally, we'll go by the wind readings from a sensor on top of a 15m high pole. I know that when that reads 7 knots then I need to run backwards to hot launch a single strut tube kite on land so I would have no expectations of relaunching in the water until a gust came through.

My experience (mainly based on watching the Roams in the area) is that the Aluula Roams don't relaunch any easier than the good single strut kites. The Crave doesn't seem to be any lighter so I wouldn't expect it to be significantly better. I note however that my dacron flite 12m was more difficult to relaunch than an Airush ultra 12m (several times in 8-9 knots my friend would relaunch and I would have to wait for a gust - both drifting within 100m of each other so similar conditions). He would never try to reverse launch that kite. He just persevered with a single line pull to stop the risk of it falling backwards.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:22 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:27 am

My 10m regular flite also need a bit more wind than my 9m monostrut airush one 2012 (which is exceptional on this relaunch despite its 15 years old design, but only 2.3 kg).
Regular flite 10m is approx the same low wind relaunch as a classic 3 stutt.

What it a bit frustrating is that "i can feel" that aluula roam could relaunch in lower wind, but it is just a matter of design IMO , with a relative difficulty to rotate on the LE down. In 7 knots, pulling on the opposite front line does not give better result than pulling on both rear lines.Hence my question to the crave relaunch, even if a bit heavier

Mellowyellow
Medium Poster
Weight: 62
Local Beach: South west France
Style: All round
Gear: Reedin supermodel

Postby Mellowyellow » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 am

Do you know when the ocean rodeo crave full allula is going to be released ?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:11 pm

Mellowyellow wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 am
Do you know when the OR Aluula Crave is going to be released ?
No, but expecting delays caused by Covid problems in China.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
Mellowyellow (Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:02 am)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm

Could any one comment on the jump ability of the crave 12m on hydrofoil in around 9-10 knots ? Height and hangtime.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:32 am

I am looking for a used 12m should you have one :-)
Could any owner comment on the robustness in time vs other LEI ? some light kites like Duotone SLS dice seems to wear more rapidly, does it seem the case with the Crave ? the two specimen of used craves I saw had 2-3 pin holes on the canopy , plus visible grate on Leading Edge ...

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0

Postby BrunoC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am

I’m still riding my Gen 1 Craves and have no issues with wear. I mostly use the 9m and it is doing fine.
These users thanked the author BrunoC for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:38 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:28 am

I got one !

Return to “Kitesurfing”