Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any OR Crave reviews yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Any OR Crave reviews yet?

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am

matth wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:42 am
adamj2281 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:08 am
Quick update on my last post regarding the 9m Crave. I've had 2 more solid, pretty lit sessions on it, both strapless surfboard. To expand on my notes before, here are a few more and who this kite is best for:

-Surf:
The crave is a lot lighter and more responsive than the Roam and Prodigy, more Razor than those kites. So........if you are looking for really quick redirects on bottom turns or powered downloops into slashes, this kite wins hands down. I'm making much more aggressive, tighter turns back into the wave face from the flats after a bottom turn. I slackened the lines quite a bit today and it drifted pretty well, not as well as the Roam, but it's a tradeoff.

I got it out in side-off winds as well, and it really excelled. I figured this would be an issue with the drifting of the Roam beating it out, but in side-off I want something that will crank upwind (which it does) and something that pivots quick along with down the line drift. It did really well, really the drift surprised me after the first few sessions, I think I just needed to find the right spot to sit it.

So, if you are into a nice mix of surf/freestyle this is your kite, if you are mostly foil/surf go Roam. Prodigy is probably best for a mix of old school boosting and surf.

PM me or reply if you have any specific questions.
How was the bar pressure and depower..???

Ha, two items I never really notice unless either sticks out. Bar pressure was pretty moderate I would say, somewhere between the Roam and Razor. I've had back to back 2 hour sessions and no issues.

Depower was very effective, held it's shape well even heavily depowered. During the side-off session on it I hit each end and there was plenty of range, no issues there. I'll add that the LE is definitely smaller diameter wise (probably to cut weight) and it did not affect the handling as I've had it in some gusty conditions. I haven't crashed it more than once or twice though so...........time will tell if that LE will hold up to the abuse I'm sure to put on it.
These users thanked the author adamj2281 for the post (total 2):
matth (Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 pm) • Digdawg (Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm

So....how does it differ from razor.?

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Do-it wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm
It definitely drifts much better than the Razor. So....and this is mostly from a surf-oriented point of view obviously, if I go to bottom turn in the flats and redirect instead of downlooping - it will drift downwind with me, whereas the Razor would more than likely stall out a bit more making that pivot harder. Now....I'll say I'm 2 or 3 years removed from the Razor, so...it could be better at this point.

The vertical lift on the Crave is similar to the Razor on my few freestyle sessions I've had, quick pop straight up. The loops are a quicker pivot than the Roam with a bit more power, but not as much as the Razor. I would say if you were more surf oriented than freestyle - Crave, vice versa - Razor. Actually, overall since I've ridden basically everything OR has, here's how I would break things down based on what you are doing with that particular kite (items in terms of preference/percentage):

Surf/Freestyle/Boosting (Quick) - Crave
Surf/Foil - Roam
Foil/Freestyle/Boosting (Airtime) - Flite
Freestyle/Boosting (Quick) - Razor
Basically Everything and/or you live in a gusty area - Prodigy

That's just my breakdown, so........the Crave really is the perfect kite for me in my smaller sizes when I'm not foiling. I'll keep a 12/7m Roam for foiling because either I'm going out in really light air, or it's a bit windier and flat. 9m Crave for most surf sessions, not so much on the foil. Also - one other note, Crave seems to be better upwind compared to the Razor and Roam.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm

So if I wanted an Ocean Rodeo manoeuvrable quick reacting freeride/wave crossover kite with good upwind performance would that be the Crave? I have no problem working kites, I really dislike kites that pull like trucks and don't respond immediately to slackening the rear lines ...

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:34 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm
So if I wanted an Ocean Rodeo manoeuvrable quick reacting freeride/wave crossover kite with good upwind performance would that be the Crave? I have no problem working kites, I really dislike kites that pull like trucks and don't respond immediately to slackening the rear lines ...
Correct, Razor would pull harder and be less effective in waves. Crave is your kite.
These users thanked the author adamj2281 for the post:
iriejohn (Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 pm

adamj2281 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm
Do-it wrote:
It definitely drifts much better than the Razor. So....and this is mostly from a surf-oriented point of view obviously, if I go to bottom turn in the flats and redirect instead of downlooping - it will drift downwind with me, whereas the Razor would more than likely stall out a bit more making that pivot harder. Now....I'll say I'm 2 or 3 years removed from the Razor, so...it could be better at this point.

The vertical lift on the Crave is similar to the Razor on my few freestyle sessions I've had, quick pop straight up. The loops are a quicker pivot than the Roam with a bit more power, but not as much as the Razor. I would say if you were more surf oriented than freestyle - Crave, vice versa - Razor. Actually, overall since I've ridden basically everything OR has, here's how I would break things down based on what you are doing with that particular kite (items in terms of preference/percentage):

Surf/Foil - Roam

That's just my breakdown, so........the Crave really is the perfect kite for me in my smaller sizes when I'm not foiling. I'll keep a 12/7m Roam for foiling because either I'm going out in really light air, or it's a bit windier and flat. 9m Crave for most surf sessions, not so much on the foil. Also - one other note, Crave seems to be better upwind compared to the Razor and Roam.

Are you comparing to the current model Roam?

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am

EastCC wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 pm
adamj2281 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm
Do-it wrote:

Surf/Foil - Roam

Are you comparing to the current model Roam?
2019 - last model, mainly because I have more time on them, and can compare directly 9m to 9m.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

I went with razor, I’ll report back after I fly it.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Has thanked: 0

Postby zig zag » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 pm

Great first sessions on the new 12m Crave! first was light but kite performed well.. good boosting for such low winds.. looping quickly for a 12m and was quick to turn for slashing.. second session was powered up for some bigger longer airtime boosts.. downlooping on landings provided great lift and speed without a huge yank just smooth power through the loop.. wave riding was fun with snappy turns to then easily depower to stay in the pocket! fun kite I'm glad I upgraded from the Prodigies

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rnelias » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:12 pm

Digging up this thread... how Crave HL would compare to other more popular kites? Maybe the Bandit?

Return to “Kitesurfing”