The best kite for Teaching?

Forum for kitesurfers
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The best kite for Teaching?

Postby tomtom » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:30 am

Kees wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:40 am
I don’t understand why people recommend the Peak4 for beginner kiters, not that it’s a bad kite, but relaunch would be tricky for a advanced kiter and I would imagine almost impossible for a beginner? I remember my beginnings and can’t count the times I dropped my kite. :pump:
Cause best relaunch is when you dont drop a kite. Peak is about 10 times less likely to drop than normal kite. Peak is bless for teaching cause people are much more relaxed with it. Its perfect kite for first riding. Not much for twintip progression.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Kees (Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kristan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:23 pm

CrazyFly Sculp, 2016 or 2017. Dirt cheap but reliable.

Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Delta99 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:10 am

I remember my first sessions as a beginner. 20+ knots and a Cab Radar. It whipped through the wind window so fast you could not understand any of the mechanics that was going on. I did not progress until I had a day on a slow friendly Ozone Zephyr. It flew gently across giving time to figure out what was going on.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 am

Any 3 strut wave kite I reckon (and I suppose that would mean something like the Peak, mono strut etc). You want it not only stable and easy to relaunch you want it to stay in the air in reasonable winds for a beginner. Learnt that the hard way trying to teach crew on five strut heavy kites that needed wind to stay in the air, plus were hard to relaunch...which excludes all C kites as well. Plug and play kites that stay in the air easy at the low end wind range. So make etc is irrelevant if it satisfies these criteria.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 am

I know many people are saying forget brand and just 3 strut kite will be fine but after teaching for a few years I do notice the difference between brands and am curious to get a bit more detailed info.

The radar is a 3 strut kite - inverts often after a crash
Catalyst also 3 strut - while teaching in lighter winds this kite seems to nosedive dropping from the sky and falling forward. Along side the catsylst in the same conditions the slingshot rally seemed to sit perfectly in the light wind and have a much smoother and stable low end.

Peak 4 seems to be very promising but I'd never give a student a kite that's hard to relaunch and isn't LEI which is almost gaurenteed what they will be using in the future.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 am

How odd. Had the Catalyst for several years, but never did it nosedive. Maybe a weakness that has popped up with the latest model?

Being aware that the Catalyst I had was the "old" version (I am not sure how much of a restart the V1 was, but enough to start over again with a version one).

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 pm

Kees wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:40 am
I don’t understand why people recommend the Peak4 for beginner kiters, not that it’s a bad kite, but relaunch would be tricky
The reasons are:
- the kite generate zero lift, by far the safest kite to teach on
- the kite is amazingly well behaved in the sky
- the kite pulls hard but then depowers well allowing the use of a 5m kite in sub 20 knots
- the kite flies extremely well in low winds making it safer because you can teach in lower winds

Since you are teaching you can simply relaunch the kite for the student. You'll also find the student will crash the Peak 4 less than an LEI kite.

After the Peak 4 I would highly recommend a 1 strut kite for teaching because they have a very good characteristic for beginners: they still fly well when way over sheeted.

90% of beginners are over sheeting their kite all the time and the 1 strut kites fly better over sheeted than anything else on the market.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 pm
90% of beginners are over sheeting their kite all the time and the 1 strut kites fly better over sheeted than anything else on the market.
With modern inflatables, it is likely 100%. I have an HQ Apex III in 3m. That kite will NOT ALLOW ANY over sheeting. Using it is the only way I will "teach" someone advanced kite control. In the last few years, beginner and intermediate kiters seem to have become so used to a kite they don't need to manage, that it is getting harder and harder to teach them how kites really work.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Kees (Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:04 am

Taught (including my own son) and seen many guys learn on a catalyst, without nosediving issues mentioned. Lot of schools over here use the neo by the way. Must be something in that maybe.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:23 pm

90 % of reasons which kite schools use are economical ones.

Return to “Kitesurfing”