Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Click vs Trust bar

Forum for kitesurfers
DIALS
Rare Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:02 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: TRAMORE BAY WATERFORD IRELAND
Favorite Beaches: T-BAY
Style: NOVICE
Gear: DUOTONE
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Duotone Click vs Trust bar

Postby DIALS » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 pm

With the Click bar been almost twice the price of the trust bar ,is it worth the extra bucks...

mar menor
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:03 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: mar menor,Spain
Favorite Beaches: santa pola ,la llana,los narejos
Gear: PLKB Peter Lynn Synergies , PL Nova,Moses T38 and 633,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Ozone Alpha
Brand Affiliation: PLKB,moses,shinn ,Ozone
Location: Murcia,Spain
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby mar menor » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:54 pm

I think the Ocean Rodeo Stick Shift is better than the Click,better line quality and easier to maintain.

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby purdyd » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm

DIALS wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 pm
With the Click bar been almost twice the price of the trust bar ,is it worth the extra bucks...

I guess that is your value judgement, I prefer the click to the trust as it is a lot cleaner.

Once you have used the rear line adjustment click bar it is hard to go back to all of that dangling stuff.

Depower throw doesn’t change when you depower the kite.

The click and turn are easy to use and repeatable.

It’s easy to see where your power setting is.

It will unwind with the bar every time.

I didn’t like the click bar square hole and pu tubing at first I thought they were sticky but I adapted and the pu tubing lost some of the shine and became smoother.

I wish the click adjustment was about half the distance, a quarter turn rather than half.

Good luck!

User avatar
Tony
Frequent Poster
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil * Wave
Gear: Airush Wave 5/7/9 Ultra 10
Ketos Pocket 130 * 1200V2 Kool
Firewire Vader
LF Galaxy Foilboard *ForSale
Location: North Carolina - USA
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby Tony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:59 am

I finally ponied up and got a click bar. Have not had it long but really like it, nice and clean. Feels good. I've had (old-North) bars before and am not a fan of the lines, they are functional but should be much better. I switched out the lines and now have a perfect bar, probably the most expensive bar you can buy lol.
Click bar will work with any kite, high or low V, assume you know that. I don't fly Duotone.
I like the Iron Heart and all the CL options on Duotone better than other brands and would probably buy a Trust bar as a second but no easy way to make it low-V.
If you fly Duotone and use the high-V there are new 2018 North Trust bars out there for sale for $299 which is a great deal.
I looked at the OR Stick Shift but the size of the bar, BIG, lost it for me. Wouldn't say you shouldn't consider the SS but just make sure to put one in your hands first.
It's crazy that after almost 20 years that I'm still searching for the perfect (stock) bar ... there's definitely still opportunity there.

Tony

dice
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby dice » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:38 am

purdyd wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm
Depower throw doesn’t change when you depower the kite.
I don't think that's applicable to any bar out there. The depower rope is above the depower throw part, not the same part.
But I agree on the other points, the click bar is just the best thing you can get. If it's worth the bucks, that's entirely up to the buyer to decide.
I still use a classic bar because for me it's just too much money. But if I were a bit richer, I'd buy it too :)

jasonwave
Rare Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Surfboards : BWS, custom, shinnster
TT : nomad prototype
Kites : BWS, Cloud
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby jasonwave » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 am

I run both bars with my girls. They far prefer the click compared to the cleat adjustment which they struggle with in stronger conditions and they think about trimming more with the easy click set up. I am happier with the lighter trust bar in lighter conditions or when travelling but I do find the click bar is excellent when the conditions do not look stable - if the session looks like I will be trimming often the click bar is indeed a luxury. For example when there is stronger wind further out or its gusty. I think it also depends on your type of kite, some seem to enjoy a regular precise trim, others seem less sensitive and you just set it on the beach and go.

vela99
Medium Poster
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:02 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby vela99 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 am

Hi

I own both and I am a bit more sceptical with the Click Bar than most users. There are advantages and disadvantages for both and in my mind the high price for the Click Bar is not justifies at all. The only reason I have one is that I got it for 300 Euro semi new (looked completely unused).

Quad Bar
Advantages: width adjustable, very quick trimming.
Disadvantages: trim line dangling around, poor velcro to fix the end of trim line, plastic lashes to clip the ends fragile.

Click Bar
Advantages: clean (not sure why this is so important...no danglin lines maybe?)
Disadvantages: to trim for more power is actually slower. No width adjustment (for me a big disadvantage).
These users thanked the author vela99 for the post:
DIALS (Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:20 am)
Rating: 10%

DIALS
Rare Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:02 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: TRAMORE BAY WATERFORD IRELAND
Favorite Beaches: T-BAY
Style: NOVICE
Gear: DUOTONE
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby DIALS » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:24 am

vela99 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 am
Hi

I own both and I am a bit more sceptical with the Click Bar than most users. There are advantages and disadvantages for both and in my mind the high price for the Click Bar is not justifies at all. The only reason I have one is that I got it for 300 Euro semi new (looked completely unused).

Quad Bar
Advantages: width adjustable, very quick trimming.
Disadvantages: trim line dangling around, poor velcro to fix the end of trim line, plastic lashes to clip the ends fragile.

Click Bar
Advantages: clean (not sure why this is so important...no danglin lines maybe?)
Disadvantages: to trim for more power is actually slower. No width adjustment (for me a big disadvantage).
When I trim the Trust bar and the pull strap is dangling as you say...you can hook it back into the above rope ...Just squeeze it in between the two ropes that run down from the pullie for a clean setup...yes the velcro is pointless really..Never holds the loop correctly.

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby purdyd » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:57 pm

dice wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:38 am
purdyd wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm
Depower throw doesn’t change when you depower the kite.
I don't think that's applicable to any bar out there. The depower rope is above the depower throw part, not the same part.
But I agree on the other points, the click bar is just the best thing you can get. If it's worth the bucks, that's entirely up to the buyer to decide.
I still use a classic bar because for me it's just too much money. But if I were a bit richer, I'd buy it too :)
I don’t think I was clear, I didn’t mean flagging out the kite.

When you push the button that lengthens the rear lines and depowers the kite, the depower throw doesn’t change.

The depower throw is always the sane regardless of how you adjust the rear lines.

Other bars depower the kite by shortening the front lines which reduces the depower throw.

This has always been a problem with front line adjusting. It is why companies offer multiple rear line kite knots to accommodate this.

User avatar
omg
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby omg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:46 pm

purdyd wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:57 pm
dice wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:38 am
purdyd wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm
Depower throw doesn’t change when you depower the kite.
I don't think that's applicable to any bar out there. The depower rope is above the depower throw part, not the same part.
But I agree on the other points, the click bar is just the best thing you can get. If it's worth the bucks, that's entirely up to the buyer to decide.
I still use a classic bar because for me it's just too much money. But if I were a bit richer, I'd buy it too :)
I don’t think I was clear, I didn’t mean flagging out the kite.

When you push the button that lengthens the rear lines and depowers the kite, the depower throw doesn’t change.

The depower throw is always the sane regardless of how you adjust the rear lines.

Other bars depower the kite by shortening the front lines which reduces the depower throw.

This has always been a problem with front line adjusting. It is why companies offer multiple rear line kite knots to accommodate this.
I agree on that point if depowering does that, however, many bars do not work like that, like Cabrinha, F-one etc. generally all bars with plastic depower line cover (way to recognize this feature).

I also agree that clickbar is nice for gusty conditions and for waves, where longer depower throw is nice, and it's nice to have V and Y options in the same bar. However, it's on the heavy side and for the sake of simplicity for travelling I prefer other bars.
These users thanked the author omg for the post (total 2):
knotwindy (Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm) • purdyd (Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:11 pm)
Rating: 20%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DIALS, evan, GregK, Havre, MSN [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests