Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Click vs Trust bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Awe, Kami, you care! And thanks for feeding the algorithm.
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:10 am
Consider the QR as a collection of parts. None of the parts in a the Click mechanism are any more complex than any of the QR parts. You’re exaggerating.

Similar principle not identical mechanism. You’re exaggerating. Especially about how much of a nuisance they are... or maybe you’re just mechanical inept?
QR's are a single lever activated by a linear motion. The only rotating one I know of is the COREporate one. There is no way a ratchet mechanism with a double line winder and turning blocks is "as simple as a lever". Do you have a mechanical background? If so, go ahead and make your case for how the actual Clique mechanism is just as simple as a North or Switch or LF CL release. Or just put up the pic like I suggested before. Even an exploded parts view would work.

Kamikuza wrote:
Resale is always the weakest argument for or against something. That’s not exaggerating, it’s just dumb.
I am stumped on this one. How does your logic work?

Personally, resale is the best indicator of durability and value.

First, if I buy something for $1000, and can sell it for $200 a year later, I lost $600. But if I buy something for $500 and sell it for $180 a year later, then I lost $320 over the course of it's use. irie mon would say that I just have money problems if worry about this loss of value. But I was raised differently.

Second, the used market's perceived value of an item is strongly correlated to it's continued usefulness/desirability when in a used condition, and the continued cost/trouble of maintenance. When the value remains high, or even proportional to it's original sale price, then the product is likely a durable and trouble free item. But if the used value of something initially extremely expensive is not more than that of an average priced item, then there is clear indication that that item was never worth the additional initial cost.

As you have indicated you find a flaw with this principle, let me know where it is.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm
First, if I buy something for $1000, and can sell it for $200 a year later, I lost $600. But if I buy something for $500 and sell it for $180 a year later, then I lost $320 over the course of it's use. irie mon would say that I just have money problems if worry about this loss of value. But I was raised differently.
:lol: You certainly do have money problems! :lol:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Well then help me out, irie! Western union me enough money so that I don't have to worry about $320 here and there.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Matteo V wrote:
Well then help me out, irie! Western union me enough money so that I don't have to worry about $320 here and there.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm
Matteo V wrote:
iriejohn wrote:

C'mon irie mon! I just sent 10,000 to a well known foreign country because I am the sole descendant of a long lost king. I am supposed to be top of the line for an 8,000 inheritance. But that was months ago, and no word yet. I still have my little nose pressed up against the window for the Fedex guy to show up with my cash and it is starting to freeze to the window.

But you seem to not have money problems so help a fellow kiter out! Come on, you care enough to proof read! Why not send some money so I won't have the money problems you think I have. :naughty:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Matteo V wrote:
iriejohn wrote:
Matteo V wrote:
Matteo V wrote:Well then help me out, irie! Western union me enough money so that I don't have to worry about $320 here and there.
irie wrote:Image
Matteo V wrote:C'mon irie mon! I just sent 10,000 to a well known foreign country because I am the sole descendant of a long lost king. I am supposed to be top of the line for an 8,000 inheritance. But that was months ago, and no word yet. I still have my little nose pressed up against the window for the Fedex guy to show up with my cash and it is starting to freeze to the window.
But you seem to not have money problems so help a fellow kiter out! Come on, you care enough to proof read! Why not send some money so I won't have the money problems you think I have. :naughty:
So "if I buy something for $1000, and can sell it for $200 a year later, I lost $600" :?:

You couldn't make it up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:19 am

Matteo V wrote:
Awe, Kami, you care! And thanks for feeding the algorithm.
Kamikuza wrote:
Consider the QR as a collection of parts. None of the parts in a the Click mechanism are any more complex than any of the QR parts. You’re exaggerating.

Similar principle not identical mechanism. You’re exaggerating. Especially about how much of a nuisance they are... or maybe you’re just mechanical inept?
QR's are a single lever activated by a linear motion. The only rotating one I know of is the COREporate one. There is no way a ratchet mechanism with a double line winder and turning blocks is "as simple as a lever". Do you have a mechanical background? If so, go ahead and make your case for how the actual Clique mechanism is just as simple as a North or Switch or LF CL release. Or just put up the pic like I suggested before. Even an exploded parts view would work.

Kamikuza wrote:
Resale is always the weakest argument for or against something. That’s not exaggerating, it’s just dumb.
I am stumped on this one. How does your logic work?

Personally, resale is the best indicator of durability and value.

Second, the used market's perceived value of an item is strongly correlated to it's continued usefulness/desirability when in a used condition, and the continued cost/trouble of maintenance. When the value remains high, or even proportional to it's original sale price, then the product is likely a durable and trouble free item. But if the used value of something initially extremely expensive is not more than that of an average priced item, then there is clear indication that that item was never worth the additional initial cost.

As you have indicated you find a flaw with this principle, let me know where it is.
So that’s an admission that it’s not “infinitely” more complex and you’ve now moved the goalposts to as simple a lever :roll:

I don’t have a degree in mechanical engineering but I can load a line trimmer so it feeds without failure to the end of the line ;)

The value is whatever the market will support. By your logic, the ancient gear that gets sold and bought for inflated prices is then actually that valuable. It’s not.

The same materials go into a Mercedes as does a Toyota. Where does the additional value come from?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:00 am

i have a seen quite a few second hand ones for sale- don't seem to be snapped up like hotcakes at 30% of the retail price.

My advice - don't get one.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:37 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:00 am
i have a seen quite a few second hand ones for sale- don't seem to be snapped up like hotcakes at 30% of the retail price.

My advice - don't get one.
Where? I’ll take one.

If we followed your advice, we’d all be riding 2-line Wipikas and riding pickle forks...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:37 am
If we followed your advice, we’d all be riding 2-line Wipikas and riding pickle forks...
If we followed your logic, we would all be riding bars with pulleys to increase turning speed. Or by now, maybe we would even have multiple pulleys on each side of the bar.

A few "advancements" in kiteboarding have actually been "gamechangers". Most have been mistakes. Not every thing we are sold as an advancement is actually better. Any kiter with 10 years of experience is well aware of that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”