Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Click vs Trust bar

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar

Postby iriejohn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:55 pm

DIALS wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Easy lads...Its just a Kite bar...Didnt think it would escalate to a bitching Match...
Exactly. Of course it's just a kite bar.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 pm

Planned obscelesence, many more potential failure factors/points, unecessary wear points, heavier more swing weight ( pita), expensive spare parts, difficulty in repair, bad positioning of depower mechanism.. especially in fast increase /super gusty/strong weather events.. emergency depower situations ( super gusts developing), sand and such mechanisms don't mix well, as mentioned you will need a spare one on remote overseas kite trips ($2000)

When people are talking about owning a $1000 bar for 2 years like it is some kind of achievement... are you going to continue to use it? Ie trust it... or upgrade and sell it off, someone else's problem... put it in the bin.. into the landfill..

I hear more and more comments today about how you shouldnt expect kite equipment to last more than a few years, never used to hear that.

Kiteboarding 2019 doesn't seem to be so much about actual kiting like it used to "hey look at my clickbar" "Oh wow, that is so cool, 2019 or 2020?" "better upwind you say" " oh wow I need one of those!"

All invalid points.. it's just class war. :-0
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
Faxie (Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:28 am

DIALS wrote:
Easy lads...Its just a Kite bar...Didnt think it would escalate to a bitching Match...
Leave him alone. irie is just a bit of a grumpy guy. I have seen him contribute to the discussion once or twice. That is plenty for me to aprecieate him. You should take all this with a grain of salt.

Plus, irie keeps making my point for me.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:28 am
DIALS wrote:
Leave him alone. irie is just a bit of a grumpy guy. I have seen him contribute to the discussion once or twice. That is plenty for me to aprecieate him. You should take all this with a grain of salt.

Plus, irie keeps making my point for me.
First @ Matteo V If you think that is the story here or that it is even slightly important, you (like most of us) are missing your own issues.

Second It is a stick with strings. Why would anyone care what kind of stick, simple or complicated, someone else uses? I am more interested, with DuoZone anyway, in better strings, :jump: :o :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Duotone Click vs Trust bar...

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:27 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/181011/89dfssni.jpg

Guts of a QR looks more "complex". Stop being such a luddite weenie.
So put up a pic of a QR that you think is more complicated. From your pic, I can't even guess how those parts in your pic work together. And there seems to still be some mechanical stuff that stays in the bar when you disassemble to the point in your pic. But thanks for you and cor adding evidence for:
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm
But this thread, I believe, is bringing to light an underlying psychology of Clique bar users. Honestly, I kite with more kiters who have homemade bars, than those with the Clique bars. And when one of those Clique bars does show up on the beach, most non Clique bar users just laugh at them for both price and the complicated nature of the mechanism. Again, I kite on the coast or at inland sandy locations so that may skew my sample. But there does seem to be a unnatural "defensiveness" that goes along with owning/using the Clique bar. I am guessing that is directly related to most other kiters not being impressed by that expensive piece of equipment. Maybe showing up to the kite launch in a Porsche or 200,000£ 4wd Sprinter van will get you some admiration. But the Clique bar, despite it being one of the most expensive bars on the market, seems to get the opposite of that type of admiration.
Some sort of ratchet and a spring-loaded release, no doubt. No more complex than the line feed on a weed eater.

And pick any QR that isn’t just a pin release like the old Cabrinha or Ozone bars.

Not really stretching the imagination is it

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:27 am
Some sort of ratchet and a spring-loaded release, no doubt. No more complex than the line feed on a weed eater.

And pick any QR that isn’t just a pin release like the old Cabrinha or Ozone bars.

Again.....
Matteo V wrote:
So put up a pic of a QR that you think is more complicated. From your pic, I can't even guess how those parts in your pic work together. And there seems to still be some mechanical stuff that stays in the bar when you disassemble to the point in your pic. But thanks for you and cor adding evidence for:

I'll give you that the Cabrinha of what??? 2011-2012 was crazy complicated to just reload. But none of the QR's that I would use come close to being "complicated". North (Duotone), Switch, non detachable LF, newer Cabrinha......and on and on are extremely simple. So show a pic of a QR that is widely used and reliable. No way is it more complicated than the click bar (excluding that stupid Cabrinha release).

Kamikuza wrote:
Are you SH---ING ME? Those things suck so bad. Too much feed and you waste line, too little feed and you beat the crap out of the release till it does not work. Then plant fibers wrap up in them, and don't even get me started on the double line feed ones. If the click bar was as much of a PITA as trimmer feed heads, no one would use them for kiting.

Any idea on the resale of the click bars well used now adays? Or are they too new, or maybe not serviceable when well used?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 am

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 am
Second It is a stick with strings. Why would anyone care what kind of stick, simple or complicated, someone else uses?
pretty alluded to the Clique bar not being much more complicated than a non Clique bar. That was the original idea which was in dispute.

And just like you, I do not want to discourage anyone from using the Clique bar. You should definitely use what makes you feel good so long as it is safe and well maintained. If kept up, I am sure the Clique bar works fine. But it is not simple, nor is it as easily maintained/repaired as a non Clique bar.

The reality of it is that the Clique bar is not just a stick with strings. It is a stick with precisely balanced strings on the inside moving synchronously via a double winder. Again, not just a stick.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:10 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am
Kamikuza wrote:

Again.....
Matteo V wrote:

I'll give you that the Cabrinha of what??? 2011-2012 was crazy complicated to just reload. But none of the QR's that I would use come close to being "complicated". North (Duotone), Switch, non detachable LF, newer Cabrinha......and on and on are extremely simple. So show a pic of a QR that is widely used and reliable. No way is it more complicated than the click bar (excluding that stupid Cabrinha release).

Kamikuza wrote:
Are you SH---ING ME? Those things suck so bad. Too much feed and you waste line, too little feed and you beat the crap out of the release till it does not work. Then plant fibers wrap up in them, and don't even get me started on the double line feed ones. If the click bar was as much of a PITA as trimmer feed heads, no one would use them for kiting.

Any idea on the resale of the click bars well used now adays? Or are they too new, or maybe not serviceable when well used?
:roll:

Consider the QR as a collection of parts. None of the parts in a the Click mechanism are any more complex than any of the QR parts. You’re exaggerating.

Similar principle not identical mechanism. You’re exaggerating. Especially about how much of a nuisance they are... or maybe you’re just mechanical inept?

Resale is always the weakest argument for or against something. That’s not exaggerating, it’s just dumb.

Buy it, don’t buy it, nobody really cares about your ravings.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Don't feed the algorithm, it's not very friendly.

Matt can't get a session longer than 30mins due to "tennis elbow".

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Matty what am I when I rock up with 3 clique bars? 🤣 Don't worry I'll pack some beer for you in my esky 🙌

Return to “Kitesurfing”