Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drop Your $&@#ing Kite!

Forum for kitesurfers
Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drop Your $&@#ing Kite!

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:48 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:48 am
Teabageppo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:12 am
I've been known to give their kite a little whack in the air... gotta have the skills to do it, but they quickly learn. Play chicken with the kooks / Guys.
Thanks for helping "educate" other kiters. It really has helped when I have done the same at my spots. I have not yet found one of these kooks that can't be taught with just one lesson experience. "Talking to them", on the other hand, has a much lower success rate.

nah talking still helps over a beer or two. Some just don't know what they don't know. Then again my brother has been kiting for over 10 years and that prick still keeps his bloody kite high! Frustrates me and others. But he's at the other end of the spectrum...just a guy who doesn't give a shit. And you are brave man to argue with him as well...so we just deal with it.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:11 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
I've been known to give their kite a little whack in the air... gotta have the skills to do it, but they quickly learn. Play chicken with the kooks / Guys.
I don't see what this will achieve except possibly ripping 2 kites and being labeled as a massive kook as the guy who intentionally rams other people's kites with his own.

Most people are receptive when you talk to them and tell them about kiting etiquette, with respect. You don't want to be the kite bad person who tries to dictate their way on the beach.

kgb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Intentionally hitting/tapping someone’s kite in preference to a face to face discussion?

That’s a new low even for you matteo..

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:06 pm

kgb wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:55 pm
Intentionally hitting/tapping someone’s kite in preference to a face to face discussion?

That’s a new low even for you matteo..
Come on kgb - do you even actually kite? If you are not aware that kitesurfing attracts a disproportionately high number of with the attitude "i don't give a f--k", then it is likely that you are one of them. And yes, on the other side there is also a disproportionately high number of extremely conscientious people who kite too. Thus there is a lower representation in kiting of regular or "average" personalities.

Now in my years of experience, from windsurfing, kitesurfing, snowkiting, and all the other sports that I have partaken in, the following holds absolutely true: If a participant is experienced and skilled, but is constantly demonstrating bad behavior, THEY ARE DOING IT INTENTIONALLY! "Talking" to someone who thinks of themselves as being a "bad boy", and revels in causing others issues, is just like spitting on a fish (useless). The only way you can teach this type of person is by "showing" them.

Now I would never avoid talking to someone, who needed to be talked to, such as a beginner or the new kiter at my local spots. In fact, that is what I do more than any other kiter I have ever met. I have given up many sessions and hours of kiting to hang out and help newbies or "new to that spot" kiters so they stay safe and keep my spot open to kiting. This is where talking WORKS. Kind of like when someone is taking a lesson for something they are interested in - they learn because they want to! Trying to give a lesson to someone that does not want to learn or thinks they know more than the teacher and/or does not feel that the rules apply to them.............again, that is like spitting on a fish (useless), or replying to you.

Personally, I do not "touch kites". But I will run someone up on the inside if they have been running myself AND others up on the inside. While this stupid behavior is not limited to TT riders vs directional (sometimes directional on directional, or even TT on TT) it does break gear on regular surfboards. Given that my directional board has unbreakable fins/boxes. I am in the perfect position to "educate" either a TT or surfboard rider.

Or, when a kitesurfer or kiteboarder "occupys" a small section of making it impossible to go down the line, I will push them out and show them that if they won't share, they won't get to use that tiny spot either.

But there are many other behaviors that I do not have an "on the water cure for". Standing in the water at the launch with the kite above them is one place that maybe touching kites (maybe just the tip) could be a remedy for.

Then there is a rule that I do not agree with, BUT I DO ABIDE BY IT! That is the rule that rider on the wave has right of way over outgoing kiter leaving the beach. I don't like that one, and I think it chokes things up at long beach breaks when lots of kiters show up and head out at one time. But again, I do abide by it because when everyone follows the same rules of etiquette, it works. And specifically, I don't want to be the "a-- hole" screwing things up and pissing off others who do follow the rules.

kgb,

By inferring that I don't believe in talking to those who may listen, you really outed yourself as one of those that won't listen. I am positive I would have to "show" you out on the water, should you exhibit "intentional kook" behavior. But I could be wrong too. We should meet up for a beer up at the Mille Lacs snowkite crossing. I typically go every year.

kgb
Frequent Poster

Postby kgb » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 am

Teabageppo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:48 am
Matteo V wrote:
Teabageppo wrote:
Thanks for helping "educate" other kiters. It really has helped when I have done the same at my spots. I have not yet found one of these kooks that can't be taught with just one lesson experience. "Talking to them", on the other hand, has a much lower success rate.

nah talking still helps over a beer or two. Some just don't know what they don't know. Then again my brother has been kiting for over 10 years and that prick still keeps his bloody kite high! Frustrates me and others. But he's at the other end of the spectrum...just a guy who doesn't give a shit. And you are brave man to argue with him as well...so we just deal with it.
The bit in bold caught my eye.. and then you go and deny it?

You know I am happy you think I don’t kite, it significantly improves the odds of you not dispensing your Huge experience and on water justice anywhere near me or anyone I kite with over here.

what is the upside is of getting on a plane to go somewhere cold and snow kite /have a beer with a random guy who on current form isn’t displaying any redeeming traits that make me think yeah he sounds cool to hang out with and have a beer, we would really get on and have so much in common.

Back to the I don’t kite thing. If that’s the case this account has been on this forum for longer than most have been kiting.

That’s either one hell of a ruse or...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:21 pm

kgb wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 am
The bit in bold caught my eye.. and then you go and deny it?
Matteo V wrote:
There, I fixed it. Now the sentence prior has the bold emphasis on it too. If you are still unclear, let me put it this way. - I do the same thing, as in "educating" other kiters. Thus no inconsistency of logic, nor is there any hypocrisy when you include the previous sentence. No denial at all! I even have mentioned in another post that "bumping kites" could even be a tool that I would possibly use in the future to correct an "intentional kook" move that I currently have no way to help out with. But still, I do "educate" those that are impossible to talk to.

kgb wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 am
what is the upside is of getting on a plane to go somewhere cold and snow kite /have a beer with a random guy who on current form isn’t displaying any redeeming traits that make me think yeah he sounds cool to hang out with and have a beer,....
C'mon kgb? Are you not big enough to go have a beer with a guy you disagree with? And what do you not like about my "traits". I sacrifice my own time kiting to help out beginners and "new to the launch" kiters, I participate in dealings with governmental agencies for kiteboarding access, I help stop the "intentional kooks" from messing up the lineup for everyone, and I am helping you understand the benefits of my approach, just like you are trying to help me understand yours. I think those are at least "good" "traits". Do you not think so? Again, lets have a beer at the kite crossing. Since your profile shows you at Chicago, IL, we have almost the same drive up there. If your profile needs updated, you at least got that out of this thread.:beer:

kgb
Frequent Poster

Postby kgb » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:30 pm

i Don’t want to go for a beer with you as you come over as a self Congratulatory prick who simply can’t possibly be wrong.

You advocate deliberately breaking people’s equipment to teach them some kind of odd karma related lesson so they confirm to your way of doing things.

Regardless of your intentions that is the behaviour of a bully and as an ozzy would say “a bit of a cunt”
So realistically there are better things to spend my money on regardless of your self appointed good intentions.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:40 pm

kgb wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:30 pm
i Don’t want to go for a beer with you as you come over as a self Congratulatory prick who simply can’t possibly be wrong.

You advocate deliberately breaking people’s equipment to teach them some kind of odd karma related lesson so they confirm to your way of doing things.

Regardless of your intentions that is the behaviour of a bully and as an ozzy would say “a bit of a cunt”
So realistically there are better things to spend my money on regardless of your self appointed good intentions.
Thanks for proving my point once again! Some kiters........there is just no way to get through their attitude and talk them out of continuing their bad behavior.

But to be clear I do not advocate breaking someone's gear. I advocate stopping someone who disregards every other kiters gear, by showing them how their bad behavior actually affects THEM when it is done to THEM.

Again, as others have suggested, I would like to offer to buy the beers for both of us.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 am

Whup here’s another thread down the shitter
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post (total 2):
dice (Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:28 am) • Pemba (Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:01 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 am

yeh I wouldn't want a beer with kgb anyway, sounds like a left wing pussy without a clue on what happens on a daily basis at a kite spot with crew not doing the right thing and how dangerous it can be. Luckily where we kite there is a solid crew who know what's going on and sort those who aren't doing the right thing quickly. Generally done by a chat, but sometimes that just doesn't get through to them. Only a few days ago some French tourists came by and started doing obnoxious things in the water. My brother had a firm, clear but altogether friendly chat. One guy persisted on being a dick so we sorted him out on the water...he got the message. They all eventually adjusted and we all had beers afterwards. Nice crew, just didn't quite get what was going on.

That's wat happens in the real world KGB - which is a fairly advanced unhooked kiteboard move...whose the self congratulatory prick here?

Return to “Kitesurfing”