Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Drop Your $&@#ing Kite!

Postby knotwindy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 am

Curious, can you tell if they learn to drop/raise their kite? or just stay away from you?

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:19 am

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 am
Curious, can you tell if they learn to drop/raise their kite? or just stay away from you?
You make a great point, knotty!

They either:

1. Stay away from you - thus solving the problem for just you

2. Keep their kite up when only you are passing over them - again solving the problem just for you

or

3. Keep their kite up when anyone is passing above them - thus solving the problem for every one

In each instance, you would need about an hour of kiting in the same area with them to tell if they have achieved the 3rd level after being given a lesson.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly
Has thanked: 0

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 am

Jeez if we had a dollar from every kook and Kookete ....
I personally think they don't care, which aligns with their funked up attitude when mentioning it on the beach.

But then again - remember our old kites and lines we don't know what to do with :thumb:

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 pm

I do have some strategies for dealing with this.

I find a wave and a smile is a good start. An occasional hoot when someone does something cool doesnt hurt. Gets a good vibe going and eye contact. This seems to work very well for me and the other kiter.

Since I know I can fly my kite low and can get up wind, I prefer to go under. I will dip my kite low and bear off well in advance signaling my intent in advance.

Since I know I can turn around, Sometimes I just turn early and take any encounter out of the equation. I don’t have to go all the way to the beach every time or all the way out.

I also look for less crowded spots. Since I can kite up and downwind, I’ll just move.

I can spot a beginner a mile away, and leave them a ton of room as they don’t have control of their kites. They will soon float down wind anyway.

Obviously these don’t always work but it is a start and I find that my example does seem to influence others positively and just as importantly, helps me enjoy my kiting more.
Last edited by purdyd on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Yeah, steer clear and get yourself away from those who can't/won't play nice. Crowds suck, and some locations have general etiquette issues (bunch of beginners or pros hogging the one flat spot, or the entrance/exit).

Having a negative experience with people really spoils the fun, and sometimes takes the whole day to shake off. Nobody can hear what you're yelling at them in the wind, and waving your arms doesn't mean a whole lot either, so it has to be a calm talk after (preferably with a beer).

If you want to go the passive aggressive route, try shadow/block them a few times (with a smile and a wave) and see if they start to get it. But realize, sometimes it is you that is making the mistake (we've all been there at some point -eg - unexpectedly long downwind jump/landing cutting off someone)

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 pm

bc-sf wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:59 pm
Nobody can hear what you're yelling at them in the wind, and waving your arms doesn't mean a whole lot either, so it has to be a calm talk after (preferably with a beer).
Telling someone they are "doing it wrong" is much more difficult than "showing them what is wrong with what they are doing". Again, on the water lessons are infinitely more successful than telling someone.

bc-sf wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:59 pm
Having a negative experience with people really spoils the fun, and sometimes takes the whole day to shake off.
Yes, it sucks. But by providing a learning experience in etiquette, you are helping someone out that could one day wind up being saved by that valuable lesson. Maui comes to mind, as a place where you better not do the wrong thing or you are risking something more than someone blocking you out on the water.

kgb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:11 pm

As a resident that is the most hyped bullshit description for the kite scene.

People are not stalking the parking lot for the guy that “offended” them on the water

Go drop in on someone at pavilions surfing and then yeah there can be issues.

But the kite scene is chill

Maybe if your experience is different then maybe you deserved it? Or my guess it’s hear say rather than personal experience
These users thanked the author kgb for the post:
John Doe (Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:43 am)
Rating: 10%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Telling someone they are "doing it wrong" is much more difficult than "showing them what is wrong with what they are doing". Again, on the water lessons are infinitely more successful than telling someone.

Yes, it sucks. But by providing a learning experience in etiquette, you are helping someone out that could one day wind up being saved by that valuable lesson. Maui comes to mind, as a place where you better not do the wrong thing or you are risking something more than someone blocking you out on the water.
No!!! If you have an issue talk to people with a nice tone. How are people going to understand passive aggressive showing them?

Most of this can be just ignored with a live and live attitude. If it is truly dangerous, just talk to people.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Maybe talk to others on the beach first and be sure it is not just you. Then 2 of you can go and talk nicely to the etiquette-lacking person together. Safer and more effective for everyone. Probably won’t help a lot of the time but still a good place to start. So if you need to gently escalate at least they will know why.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:43 am

All good points. I think some of the responsibility falls on instructors. I believe a lot of these people simply don't know that is what they should do, or, they're not at the level of experience where they can control with confidence where their kite is in the window.

And +1 what KGB said. I have experienced nothing but great vibes & respect on Maui. There's definitely a kindness & courtesy thing there - which is indicative of small towns. You are going to see people again, so you have to be nice. Really that simple.

My crappy rental van wouldn't start in the Costco parking lot. I had 3 offers for help within 10 minutes. One lady, she was an island girl I believe from Puerto Rico, actually was walking around the parking lot with jumper cables to find someone to help me. She quickly got a construction worker, pulled his truck up & helped out quickly. We laughed that she knew she could get help quicker than I would, she was cute. I thanked them up & down, and if I wasn't married would have insisted on buying her a beer. It was funny. I've always had a lot of laughs over there with people.
IMG_3990 (2).jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”