Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gopro 8 Line mount

Postby slowboat » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:47 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Having tried many different linemounts, my preferred is the UGo, both with or without the Quark (which is dead now...).

Two issues, #1 is when having the cam centered you can see the "V" and stopperball blocking your view a lot.

#2 is when getting slack lines (like when riding on a waveboard or when on a hydrofoil in really light wind), a rear line can easily get tangled inside the camera.

To avoid #1 I offset my cam a bit, to get it a bit more away from the line connection, using angled mounts.
Only disadvantage is if you slide launch, it can pick up grass, and be more exposed - but if having a helper to launch or if stake launching, no problems - only in sub 8 knots of wind it is more difficult as you can not run backwards to reverse launch like normally...

#2 the slack lines where a line gets caught, can often be untangled again, if one either tugs hard when kite overhead, many times, or if you put it on its side on land (dont want the cam lens to get wet, so I dont do it on the water).
Still, it is an aaaargh PITA thing, and if really powered not very good/nice for your gear :roll:

So, I have simply made a safety line on the socket of the GoPro holder, which goes across to the UGo, thus even if the UGo or one mount should break, the camera is safe.
AND, it avoids a rear line from getting caught around the camera.

Two in one, works just dandy :thumb:

An example from yesterday, when offset a bit like on above picture (no stopperball on this pic though):

Not perfect as sometimes the connection (or stopperball) will block your head, but I like the view from "inside" all 4 lines so to speak.
If one mounted it upside down so it sits on top instead, it also works, but more unstable in heavy winds of course, pointing up and forward into the wind, and sometimes the stopperball will block something else then....

Maybe ideas some can use?

8) Peter
I like the view and image. Can you explain why a rear line gets tangled and how your modification avoids it? Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:13 pm

Finally I found the time to take a picture slowboat.

Did not have a line, but used a white charger cable to illustrate where a rear line can get caught.

When the rear lines go slack, happens quite often, or when self launching, a rear line can easily get caught around the camera like on this picture.

The small line on above post will hinder that - it could be made even better, but works for now.

Of course you can still control the kite and no danger at all, but you might have to use some time out in the water to get the rearline free - NOT fun, when you could ride instead :naughty:
And when self launching it happens easier, as your rearlines are totally slack now, and just next to the camera.
Then you will have to "work" the kite and lines, most often easy just to put the kite on its side to free the line, but not always, and on the water you dont want that of course, as getting the camera wet is a no no because of waterdrops on the lens, no matter which "lens drop prevention" you have used.

Even if you (instead of the offset cam and angles) just have the cam centered directly to the mount, like many has, a rear line will still get caught around the cam quite often, in fact it can get caught around both sides then - not a disaster but you have to work it to get it free, a PITA :x

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
slowboat (Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:10 pm)
Rating: 10%

a99
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:18 pm

can some one do 3D print file of this mount type ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:38 pm

Remember, in the insert stab at the yellow side, the frontline slides freely, so your safety works, and the black side locks gently against the other front line with an inside pressure guard, so it does not slide, nor damage the line :thumb:

And they don't work themselves out either.

So very well made IMO :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”