Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gopro 8 Line mount

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Gopro 8 Line mount

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:25 pm

A water photog borrow my surfwax to wax up his lens the other day.. I didn't know that worked.. I guess he polished it in....

ivarj
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD
Obession 10m2
Poison Camo 135
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ivarj » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:37 am

true, it's only splash-proof...
"The Quark is rated IP66 which means it can sustain water jets but cannot be submerged"

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North

Postby kitenight11 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:40 am

But even on their website they show lots of water related activities, filmed with this device and also being submerged...

ivarj
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD
Obession 10m2
Poison Camo 135

Postby ivarj » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:19 pm

yup, a bit misleading stuff...
The product page says: waterproof, all sports compatible (with a surfboard icon)
but digging into FAQ you realize its not waterproof at all

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:05 am

It can not be submerged for long no.

Mine lived for 8 months with a lot of use and occasional a dip in salt water when kite was dropped, until finally too much and it died.

Worked excellent, a shame it isn't fully water proof, would happily pay the double if it was :thumb:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2399446&start=80

A housing (self made then) is an option, but then it gets way too bulky, besides you get all the fogging issues which is a thing of the past with the newer GoPro cameras, so not for me...

8) Peter

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:11 pm

So, is the U-Go the best line mount at this point? I've used the cheap, chinese version before and as long as you are careful with it, no major issues (I can normally get my line unstuck if it tangles around the camera).

I only ask because I got a new GoPro and my Session mount is basically stuck in the chinese version.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:29 am

I had the camrig and it came off and the little spacers things could gotten lost. Almost got tangled once....i sent it back and got the UGO. I still freak out a little using that stuff as it almost got tangled and then it will loop....kinda scary but being diligent and watching what is going on can defuse bad stuff early.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Having tried many different linemounts, my preferred is the UGo, both with or without the Quark (which is dead now...).

Two issues, #1 is when having the cam centered you can see the "V" and stopperball blocking your view a lot.

#2 is when getting slack lines (like when riding on a waveboard or when on a hydrofoil in really light wind), a rear line can easily get tangled inside the camera.

To avoid #1 I offset my cam a bit, to get it a bit more away from the line connection, using angled mounts.
Only disadvantage is if you slide launch, it can pick up grass, and be more exposed - but if having a helper to launch or if stake launching, no problems - only in sub 8 knots of wind it is more difficult as you can not run backwards to reverse launch like normally...

#2 the slack lines where a line gets caught, can often be untangled again, if one either tugs hard when kite overhead, many times, or if you put it on its side on land (dont want the cam lens to get wet, so I dont do it on the water).
Still, it is an aaaargh PITA thing, and if really powered not very good/nice for your gear :roll:

So, I have simply made a safety line on the socket of the GoPro holder, which goes across to the UGo, thus even if the UGo or one mount should break, the camera is safe.
AND, it avoids a rear line from getting caught around the camera.

Two in one, works just dandy :thumb:

An example from yesterday, when offset a bit like on above picture (no stopperball on this pic though):

Not perfect as sometimes the connection (or stopperball) will block your head, but I like the view from "inside" all 4 lines so to speak.
If one mounted it upside down so it sits on top instead, it also works, but more unstable in heavy winds of course, pointing up and forward into the wind, and sometimes the stopperball will block something else then....

Maybe ideas some can use?

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:32 pm

I've tried to put the offset on the "upper" or "windward" side now, works better regarding a free view so stopper ball not blocking as easy.

Dont know how it works when 30 knots though, it has been on a foil with lower winds 15 knots, works well here.

What have others experienced, as this must be a very common issue?

8) Peter

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Postby vol » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:20 am

Hi Guys

this is my gopro8 and custom line mount solution
the custom line mount can be adjusted to different wide depends on camera position - closer or far

adjustable custom lime mount
and GoPro horizontal stabilizing

Attachments
gopro line mount 1.jpg
VIEW (2).jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”