Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting Miami Beach and the Keys

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiting Miami Beach and the Keys

Postby beebad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm

We are visiting florida over the christmas holidays, ( hemorrhaging money for accommodations), where can I kite ?

I know there Were changes to kiting and was wondering if it was more relaxed..
Last edited by beebad on Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Re: Kiting Miami Beach

Postby ELI » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:44 am

You need IKO? cert. some beach in the 70's streets have a location that gives it . I'm told you can the kite there or there is another location in the 30's . A lot of foiling there .
These users thanked the author ELI for the post:
beebad (Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:37 am

We will only be there one night before we spend a week in the keys. I have been to the 70s launch but did't kite. where would I get this cert. otherwise.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:07 am

This question came up a few days ago on FB. It is a simple question with a damn complicated and lengthy answer.

"The further north you go, like to Jupiter, FL, a nice wave spot, the fewer rules you may have to deal with. Expect to have restrictions and rules south of that point which warrant research before going to the beach to kite. Rental gear may be available at some of these venues like Matheson, Crandon and TKS but I would check directly. Given the long term presence of kiting in Miami, the high population, limited riding venues,today there are several concessions and a permitted kiting area. Without the concessions, permits there would be NO kiting access so there isn't any point to complaining about them. Kiters brought this on themselves despite numerous warnings over many years, so heads up if you have issues where you normally ride. This could happen to your local. Anyway, you pay in most venues to kite in Miami. Matheson Hammock is one venue with a reasonable set of rules and fees. I recall if you don't have a certification card you can take a proficiency exam. The spot doesn't have much in the way of waves. More at https://adventuresportsusa.com/contact- ... ine-sales/ J Melissa KiteMermaid Mejia offers a very scenic riding venue out in Stiltsville via boat, usually without much in the way of waves. More at http://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com Crandon Park is another venue but with a serious limit on the number of kiters. I would contact them to verify the current program and to see if you can even ride without an annual membership? https://miamikiteboarding.com/pages/how ... in-crandon . The Miami Beach Kiteboarding Association through major effort by volunteer kiters negotiated a permit system for kiting access off areas of Miami Beach. We tried to do something similar many years ago but were unsuccessful, these guys succeeded and thanks. MB has some waves depending on conditions. More at https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Kiteboard-Operator... TKS has a concession on North Miami Beach further described at https://tksmiami.com again there are waves off Miami Beach. You could go south to the Keys but please follow the rules in the very few launch areas down there. People might say to go to Hollywood, Dania, Ft. Lauderdale to the north but access is tight in most of these areas and most don't like to add to existing problems. In Jupiter, you need to stay over 100 yards from the fishing pier about a mile south and to be considerate to bystanders and other water users and that is about it. The waves can be quite large there at times, which is usually the good news."
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
beebad (Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:30 am)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:19 am

If you know how to kite and only want to go for one day, I would go out with Melissa by boat to Stiltsville. It simplifies things and also gives you access to great and scenic place to kite. More at http://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com
beebad (Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 am)

beebad
Frequent Poster

Re: Kiting Miami Beach and the Keys

Postby beebad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:43 am

OMG, I couldn't imagine a more complicated affair to kite in the Miami area. If I lived there I would jump through the hoops. But.....will live in the keys for about six days during the holidays and will do whatever I need to do to get wet and I am lugging two boards,3 kites, wife and 16 year old...yeah, i’ll need to kite.

what do I need to know or do to kite in the keys this holiday season in a few weeks.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:01 pm

You have to remember that this is what enough Kiters wanted by ignoring warnings, common sense and courtesy for way too long to where it was forced down the throats of the entire kite community. This happened several times over. Again if not for the concessions and other provisions there likely would be no Kite access. So be thankful that some people went to all this trouble and remember the avoidable behaviors which brought the restrictions down on the community. They are still going on elsewhere at times. Parking spaces are being reduced, New development and other things are happening significantly impacting easy public kite access at some spots in the Keys. So please don’t take things for granted down there either, we have to work effectively to protect our access.
beebad (Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 pm)

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Okay Rick, Im over Miami thanks. I kite in OBX, On the Chesapeake and Delaware so this is pretty alien to me....there seems to be one main shop on islamorada that i will need to deal with for beta or boat rides....hey man thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:55 am

Mike at the Otherside will help you out with info, gear, sea taxi, etc.. in the Upper and Middle Keys. You have some access issues up north on the east coast in places too but often enough related to wildlife issues. The ability to ride is precious, take good care of it wherever folks kite.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 am

Of course RickI

Return to “Kitesurfing”