Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: The craziness is underway in Cape Town

Postby Blackened » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:01 pm

That's a pretty full day! Mine was a bit similar - started with a great session on a demo Orbit 9m about 10am in big bay looping like a madman before the crowds got out, then had pizza with beer for lunch. Within 5min of heading back out, hit a surfer with my kite, who had decided to speed into my landing area. He then told me off for being in the area in front of the shops as it's not for TT'ers and then jumping when it was crowded. I tried to point out to him that it wasn't that crowded, there are a lot of other TT'ers jumping in the waves where he was. I was even out the back leaving the clean surf to them. ..And he should be able to see me coming in from a tiny 7m jump if he looked anywhere other than 2ft in front of him. So, fucked off to the other side of the rocks where there was some space, only to be swamped by tons of surfers, who obviously didn't want me to there either. They seemed to be doing a circle of surf the wave on the shore for about 200m downwind, then a couple long tacks to come back to the start. Almost hit another surfer when I was coming down from a big jump. She of course yelled at me for being a dick, but I'm in the air for 10s, so when I launched, I expected her to follow the same tack she and everyone else had been doing the past 10min and not change 3s before I'm due to land just as I'm looping the kite. All they had to do in both instances was just slow their progress for 1-2s and I was by them.

Downwinder from Sunset to Bloubergstrand mid-avo. Started out great, but just before Dolphin hit someone else short tacking after 3 waves with my kite. I crashed so many times just trying to avoid people doing completely random things - until I got to kitebeach where people seem to know that if you short tack without looking, you're getting hit and you deserve it. Or really just have your head on a swivel to slow an approach or speed out of an area. I think I tomahawked about 5 times trying to avoid people. I don't understand how actually good kiters like Kevin or Lasse can actually jump. They're going at least 10m higher than I am with probably another 5s of airtime.

Sunset session I just went to kite beach and there were only about 10 kites out - although it was crazy gusty, was very happy to enjoy some decent jumping time in 25-35kn.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:33 pm

Blackened, the short-tackers are a real problem, and it is amazing they don't realize the danger. I've talked to several kiters about this on the beach having seen them do it and while some react angrily, others have not realized the problem, and I also warned my two visiting friends. Once you start heading out, short of facing a disaster like a massive wave about to smash you, go all the way beyond the breaking outside waves, and same on the way in, go all the way to the shore. That way you are predictable and someone jumping can judge that they will miss you. The amazing thing is when they get upset that you nearly landed on them!

Anyway, today was my friend Tim's last day (what an amazing week he has had, lucky guy), so after a failed attempt at foiling at Big Bay, we returned to Kite Beach and pumped 11m for Ken, and 9m for Tim and I, me on surfboard, and they had a good session trying to refine their jumping skills (I well recall how much of a struggle I had timing the kite movement with hitting a ramp, let alone getting the landings reasonably smooth). We rode downwind to Big Bay where we ran out of wind so stopped for lunch, then the breeze filled in around 2 and we had a great ride down to Holbaai. Along the way we saw penguins, seals, dolphins, and a sunfish. A great way to end a trip.
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 5.29.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 5.29.09 PM.png (92.08 KiB) Viewed 1302 times

maxiumum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Wien
Gear: Bandit

Postby maxiumum » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:25 pm

just ruptured my wetsuit. is there a good place for wetsuits around in cape town? 4/3 overknee would be great. thanks

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 pm

I broke the zipper on mine and Reef fixed it in 2 days as good or better .Tracey and Andrew were great help. Xcross from Naish store.Many stores and brands to choose from there .

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Today was a light forecast for a SEaster at the end of the day, and since we were hurting from the past few days we took the morning off. Finally got out around 4:30 as the SEaster filled back in, but it was not only light but had a lot of easterly to it, as you can see in the graph below. Launched at the lighthouse, me on 9m Pivot and surfboard and Ken on 11m Pivot and TT. Our little local lake in Illinois, Clinton Lake, was good practise for the side-off gusty conditions. We had a mellow downwinder to Kite Beach, but the waves were small and the tide high so only a shorebreak available. There were some good foilers out this afternoon. Tomorrow might be a repeat, but we might go north for the day.
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 7.46.40 PM.png

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am

Monday was pretty fun! Like your friends, I'm just starting to get my timing down on the kickers and got a couple good boosts in. I still can't load the ramp, but the other day the period was decent so at least hit them at speed. This place has very special wind conditions. I will definitely come back in the future for another kiting holiday. Hopefully will be able to break the magic 20m mark.

Yesterday we went down to Misty as the forecast was pumping, but it was super light. Got a couple boards off in before the wind died to lawn mowing strength on a 12m. Forecast looks very average for the next few days, so planning a winery tour tomorrow before I head back to NZ. (there's no wind there either).

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am

ELI wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 pm
I broke the zipper on mine and Reef fixed it in 2 days as good or better .Tracey and Andrew were great help. Xcross from Naish store.Many stores and brands to choose from there .
Second this. The guys were pretty helpful when I went in there the other day.

maxiumum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Wien
Gear: Bandit

Postby maxiumum » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:32 pm

it's not the zipper, but the neck is ruptured.
you mean the naish store at marine circle?
thanks a lot for your help.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:50 pm

Naish store next to biker bar ,forgot name? maybe Viper lounge ? Reef is xcross street . They can fix quite a lot of problems with wetsuits

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am

We went north yesterday hoping for some SW wind north of Langebaan at Swartreit, but we were skunked. The breeze was too light and later on fog came in, but we stayed the night in a cabin there and had a good braai of lobster tails, lamb chops, and boerewors. Hard to find wind today.

Return to “Kitesurfing”